More spam protection

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

More spam protection

Post by Lucifer »

As promised, I installed the spamblacklist extension finally. Let me know how it works out.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SpamBlacklist_extension

Also, for reference, here's a page with some notes about spam protecting a wiki:
http://wiki.evernex.com/index.php?title ... _Mediawiki

Edit: Just added the .htaccess file. If it works, fine, if not, can't hurt, right? (It's a .htaccess file with a few lines that block blank user-agents, so if you use a blank user agent, please put something in there now. You can put "Lucifer is a twerp" and still get roughly the same effect you were after with the blank user agent)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, last miscellaneous admin task for now, I got the wiki using mediawiki's svn, so updates should be a lot easier in the future. The upgrade process is "svn switch", then run the upgrade script provided. I updated only to the latest 1.7 release, not ready to tackle upgrading to the latest release (which is 1.9 iirc). Anyway, there may be fallout from this, let me know if there is, but there shouldn't be. It was just a minor update in the same relees branch, after all... (and a pretty significant reorganization on disk, but since we didn't have a modded wiki anyway, shouldn't be a problem)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

For any sysops kicking around, there's a bad behavior special page now. Not anything useful you can do except see that it's working. :)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Pre-empting Jonathan. :) Good catch on that image thing, fixed it. I think all the uploads went to the same place, so fixing that should fix all uploads.

It was a consquence of changing the directory the wiki was stored in. I apparently hadn't managed to copy everything yet.

- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

The image was still broken, but I fixed it with a null edit. If you see any others that are still broken, save without editing. :)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn