New to this

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Jamosup

New to this

Post by Jamosup »

Hey, i'm new to this thing. Just what is waiting for rubber? Is it an excuse for camping? :!: Or is it something else?
Jamosup: Blue
(Still a newbie)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Camping is a very controversial topic :) There is no consensus what it actually is. But waiting for rubber is simply this: you are semi-trapped and want to escape, but your rubber is quite used up. So instead of storming out directly, you wait around a bit (provided you have room) and then try to squeeze out, reasoning your chances for survival are better then. To the casual observer who does not see the trapped player's rubber meter, this looks like trying to survive as long as possible in the bit of space you've got, which is considered camping by some. Opinions vary depending on who you ask, what the server's settings are and how many players are left alive. I don't even think there is perfect consensus on whether waiting for rubber to restore already is camping in itself.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Camping is controversial indeed, and people tend to bend the definition of such words so that it reflects what they (don't) want at that time. In that regard it's similar to lag, a quick-to-type word that has become so ambiguous that it's meaningless. Fortunately it's mostly the degree of campiness in case of camping.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Kanore

Post by Kanore »

z-man wrote: I don't even think there is perfect consensus on whether waiting for rubber to restore already is camping in itself.
Well in that case it would depend on the server's admins then ^^
Formerly known as Kan|mbc|. I'm back.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

tell me, what are peoples stance on bieng in a very big box waiting for someone to die and free you.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Depends on the situation the others are in. If they are locked in boxes waiting for others to die as well, you're all camping :) If there is a chance two of them can fight without squeezing through tight mazes and the death of one of them frees one other player from his box, it's fine in my book.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

im guessing this issue is equaly contreversial and would depend on the admin.

i usually let it slide in the dipbowl.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

In my mind it depends on wall shrink. If it exists, mazing until your wall shrinks is fine. If it doesn't, and you're merely waiting for people to die then in MY mind it's camping. No matter if everyone's camping or it's just you alone, it's still camping.

Also, what are the chnaces of the forums ever getting spell check? Cause everytime I post here I'm reminded that my spelling is going south every year out of school.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

is camping, being surrounded by your walls or any walls?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I define camping as "avoiding confrontation because you want to receive the award for the round win".

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

HEXadecimal wrote:is camping, being surrounded by your walls or any walls?
Good question!

Normally, to be able to camp requires a good amount of space while being blocked on all sides. Usually, to make such a big enclosure will involve the traces of many players, sometimes even yours.

It is to be noted that the full enclosure will rarely be the result of a full cooperation between all the players whose traces are involved. Much will simply be the remains of previous battles and confrontations.

By camping, the trapped player hopes that at least one of the player who contributed to the enclosure die, and that the removal of his trace create an opening to escape.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

I find that while hard to explain, you probably can tell if someones camping.

Is it the intent which makes one a camper? (probably just babbling now.)
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I believe so.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

When I was new to this game I was once called a camper and kicked for making spirals that are easily entered, basically shooting myself in the foot as far as score is concerned.

Wikipedia seems to have a fairly good camping article, although I only read the introduction.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I think camping requires malicious intent. I think mazing all by yourself on a non-team server is perfectly fine (and in some team contexts, also perfectly fine). Similarly, you may not be playing competitively and just trying different things to see what happens. That's not camping either.

What irritates me is when I go onto a server with unethically high rubber and infinite brakes and get accused of camping when I get boxed. I'm sorry, but no, you didn't make the box small enough. I'm not camping, you made an incompetent attack! And as soon as I get out of this box, I'm a come kick your ass. (That's what I think, anyway, in practice I just get boxed again, and again, and again, but I'm fighting!)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden