What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
saragei
Core Dumper

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by saragei »

nara wrote:Emily
Oh, that's beautiful!

Listening to something completely different:
Jump - D.L. Roth & J. Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Glad you liked it saragei :)

Nice happy bluegrass! Love the chorus melody. I wonder if you'd also like these guys...less happy, but the same energy:

Trampled by Turtles - Wait So Long
Codeine
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Ill believe you ***** like bluegrass when I meet you at wheatland.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

You don't have to believe it you ***** ******* ******** (this is a joke, insert what you will)

Wheatland seems cool though!
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Its the only thing that keeps me mostly sane.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:Have you heard of the Preatures? I like the music, but I just can't stand that pseudo-80's-video....
Meh, who cares about a video? No, don't like the music.
/dev/null wrote:Ridiculous jackassery, youll enjoy it probably.
I want to hurt him a lot.
nara wrote:Oh no...I have not, and I'm resistant to watching it because I feel like it's going to reveal something wrong with her and I don't want to know (I caught the interviewer saying "the Sparks song right?" so I'm guessing the song is in some way similar to Coldplay's "Sparks"? Though if that's it it happens pretty often in music). I don't usually look into the personality behind the music.
Haha, no no. Sparks, the band. Watch the interview. Nardwuar is good people. He does extensive research and often pulls out obscurities and minutia that surprise even the interviewees about themselves.

Ignore that top youtube comment.
saragei wrote:Listening to something completely different:
Jump - D.L. Roth & J. Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
:lol:
nara wrote:Codeine
Codeine — then & nowish
/dev/null wrote:Ill believe you ***** like bluegrass when I meet you at wheatland.
Please. Do you know where I'm from?

By the way, Nara, hailing from the land where it's gorges: The Highwoods String Band.
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu May 07, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Bob Desper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEpJEY9r28U

Also: Roy Harper, The Soft Boys, The Jazz Butcher, The Sea and Cake, The Cyrkle, The Smithereens and 7 Worlds Collide (all-star-band with Johnny Marr, among others), Bob Lind ("City Scenes" is gorgeous)

(One of my sisters bought a Rolling Stone issue that had a category called "the 100 best albums nobody knows" so I checked out a handful of them on Spotify/Youtube, and this is what I liked - of course I heard of some of these already - Roy Harper is known for his Pink Floyd collaboration and Bob Lind used to write songs for Bob Dylan; however, I didn't know any of their solo-work)
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

dev: Sound like Wheatland is of great importance to you, it's nice to have those things.

Phytotron: Actually, music videos can be a thing of their own. This is just one example and it's more about the performance than video art, but still. Sia/Maddie Ziegler - Big Girls Cry I think the girl is only 12 or close to that :o

Nardwuar...is a character haha. The last "freeze for photo" bit made me laugh. I'm not sure I learned more about Joanna Newsom but the interview was definitely eccentric.

I like Codeine the band/musician, thanks! Very mellow music to have on in the background, fits my taste, I need to put in some time to listen to more of their songs but I listened to "Tom" and "Sea" in the more recent performance and liked it.

Interesting bit about the Highwoods String Band. Always nice to learn new things. Had some thoughts about how fast time passes (and what I should be doing with it), and also this genre of documentary/film that looks at old bands. Seems to be pretty popular these days, even in theater. Were you "touched with fire" by their music in the 70s? :)

Word: I liked Bob Desper and Bob Lind, will be checking out more on the list you have there. Hurrah for new music!

Something I like/am listening to: Teardrop - Massive Attack
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Boxed
Word

Post by Word »

Glad you liked it nara! My favourite Bob Lind tune is now I found you (yes, for some reason this piece of perfection was only a bonus track...); and I got another name for the list: Mason Jennings (hey there, atheists!)
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

You seem awfully defensive of your music cred, thats usually a sign of someone who doesnt like music, merely the associated culture.

I live in Michigan, we have some of the best bluegrass ever created, and we celebrate it.

This isnt quite the same genre, but damn good nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvWQS4o8tI
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

As a secondary post, learn to embrace all genres. They have thier good stuff and thier bad stuff, but even bad music is good.

Dont be a musical racist.
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

I love to come back here for some good music of any genre :!:

Listening to Seeed - Molotov
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:The Sea and Cake
Good stuff. Try Pele.
nara wrote:I like Codeine the band/musician, thanks! Very mellow music to have on in the background, fits my taste, I need to put in some time to listen to more of their songs but I listened to "Tom" and "Sea" in the more recent performance and liked it.
Glad you like it! Also, yes, the name is for the whole band not just an individual (though you might be interested in checking out Chris Brokaw's other stuff).
Were you "touched with fire" by their music in the 70s? :)
In a sense. :) I of course have that album, and that photo I posted was from my personal collection from one of the times they played down on the Belvedere.
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 36#p279336
/dev/null wrote:You seem awfully defensive of your music cred, thats usually a sign of someone who doesnt like music, merely the associated culture.
/dev/null wrote:Dont be a musical racist.
Word

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:
Word wrote:The Sea and Cake
Good stuff. Try Pele.
Only had time to listen to a few songs so far (which I liked a lot, e.g. "Hospital Sports" and "A Car full of Japanese Gangsters"), but the album/song titles alone are hilarious. If you like the Sea and Cake, check out their solo work (Sam Prekop especially).
Last edited by Word on Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.