Future ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Future ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

Post by compguygene »

Mecca wrote:
Van-hayes wrote:See its not that I lose due to my tactics, its that I have no fun playing against other people`s tactics if they include never leaving their tail, and the only way to win is to hole faster than the other team can. I mean you can wait it out and shrink them down, or hope they kill themselves but then the round lasts too long. If the only way to win is to take up these tactics it seems like I`d rather lose and have fun doing it. And again the worst part is that I've started seeing this type of def being used in regular play more and more lately. If this were any other mode the player would be kicked for camping.

I guess I'm just nostalgic for when the ladle was more about having fun competitive games than about just winning.
I agree with this. With the current settings, rounds can last way too long. I had like a 9 minute round trying to shrink TX Deso (everyone but us had died)
Not to beat a dead horse, but it's time to beat it again. This is one of the advantages of 2v2 conquerable. Matches go much quicker, and it helps to balance the natural advantage of a goalie just camping perfectly.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Mecca wrote:I agree with this. With the current settings, rounds can last way too long. I had like a 9 minute round trying to shrink TX Deso (everyone but us had died)
Because I dropped the step defense and moved to one where I was mostly outside of my tail so that I constantly expanded while you were trying to shrink me. I basically killed myself at the end because the stalemate was way too boring.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

I agree with this. With the current settings, rounds can last way too long. I had like a 9 minute round trying to shrink TX Deso (everyone but us had died)

The reason people can do conservative defenses is because they bet that the attacker will screw up before they shrink. If attackers actually followed through (like in TX did to dlh in Ladle 29) the mountain defense would no longer be as prevalent.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Concord wrote:

The reason people can do conservative defenses is because they bet that the attacker will screw up before they shrink. If attackers actually followed through (like in TX did to dlh in Ladle 29) the mountain defense would no longer be as prevalent.
I would bet money, that all of the teams are right now discussing, in their private forums, ways to better balance a strong attack and a strong defense.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

þsy wrote:It's strange how people seem to have gone from the 'next best tactic will conquer' idea to 'this tactic is undefeatable, we have to change the game mode itself'!
Agreed, this is a bad idea.
The 'step defense' is a solid defence yes, but it's not undefeatable at all, it's even possible to cut in a 1v1 situation with enough speed, good timing and skill.
While this may be true in some cases, I found that it was actually impossible to enter insa's defense in most rounds. If I went into the steps slowly, he just outsped me and killed me, if I tried to go fast, the turns that insa makes for the steps are too small and I would quickly die. The only tactic against a defense like that is shrinking. And I'm not a fan of 5+ minute rounds.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

A big part of me was excited to see peeps using the closed def and incessant holing. It's like the feeling when you'd come to a difficult level in Mario Bros. 3 for SNES. You're like, FICK! How am I going to beat this one? And then your friend showed you the Warp Whistle and at first you're like, "Awwww yeah, no more stupid Goombas to deal with!" Just like when people use the Warp Whistle, it's annoying when people act like they are the most badassest rabbi on the block when they use holes and use a closed def... Nothing special.

Ya know, I really wanted to see what everyone would do if they all knew exactly what they were up against and started thinking shit up to counter those hard ass groundbreaking and astounding tactics (see Post-Ladle 30 Tactics Discussion :wink: ). Look what happened in Ladle 31 though - it was a blast! It was like when your friend showed you how to use the raccoon suit and fly for the first time instead of using the Warp Whistle. Or better yet, when you got the Tanooki Suit! http://www.mariowiki.com/Tanooki_Suit So much more fun to play Mario when you have those suits, right? Less fun to play Mario when you use the Warp Whistle.

All in all, I'm all about what Vanhayes, Akira, and others have said about the tactics. How crazyass amazing was it when you defeated Bowser without using that Warp Whistle shit? How crazyass awesome was it when NE barely lost to SP? Both scenarios are awesome...

Instead, kids just learn where the Warp Whistles are and beat the game in 5 seconds. Great job.
Concord

Post by Concord »

so, second/third week in april?
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Mecca wrote:
Van-hayes wrote:See its not that I lose due to my tactics, its that I have no fun playing against other people`s tactics if they include never leaving their tail, and the only way to win is to hole faster than the other team can. I mean you can wait it out and shrink them down, or hope they kill themselves but then the round lasts too long. If the only way to win is to take up these tactics it seems like I`d rather lose and have fun doing it. And again the worst part is that I've started seeing this type of def being used in regular play more and more lately. If this were any other mode the player would be kicked for camping.

I guess I'm just nostalgic for when the ladle was more about having fun competitive games than about just winning.
Dude, you weren't trying to shrink Deso. You weren't even pressuring him. You weren't even following him; you were going the opposite direction.

THE BEST WAY TO SHRINK SOMEONE DOING STEPDEF/DURKADEF/PUSSYDEF/WHATEVERITSCALLEDDEF IS TO FOLLOW THEIR TAIL CLOSELY, GOING THE SAME DIRECTION AS THEM, MAKING SURE THEY CANNOT GO OUTSIDE OF IT.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

I still like Warp Whistles...

So, yeah, second/third week in April?
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

I call a vote. A new topic should be made with team votes only.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

owned wrote:I call a vote. A new topic should be made with team votes only.
ya, the point of this topic is to gather things that should be voted on :)
I knew that was one when i started it. we still need to come up with ideas to vote on for how to determine the people to allow owner/admin during ladles
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

DDMJ wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Dude, you weren't trying to shrink Deso. You weren't even pressuring him. You weren't even following him; you were going the opposite direction.

THE BEST WAY TO SHRINK SOMEONE DOING STEPDEF/DURKADEF/PUSSYDEF/WHATEVERITSCALLEDDEF IS TO FOLLOW THEIR TAIL CLOSELY, GOING THE SAME DIRECTION AS THEM, MAKING SURE THEY CANNOT GO OUTSIDE OF IT.
Exactly, the BEST way.

I was not using the BEST way.

I was making sure I didn't die :D

His def was smaller (before it turned into sumo for dummies) than it was before I started driving around his circle, he shrunk.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

it's like turning olympics into paralympics :roll:
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Furure ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

Post by kyle »

kyle wrote:@Olive it would be 19:45 GMT or if more than 16 teams it would be at 19 GMT
/me lied, it would be 17:45 GMT and 17:00 GMT if more than 16 teams
Anyway i updated the challenge board
Concord

Post by Concord »

we should probably decide on when this is going to take place