IP Finder

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...

Do you object to this?

Yes
51%
No.
37%
I don't care.
12%

Total votes: 49

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: IP Finder

Post by Titanoboa »

Stop acting like you're Google or some (lousy) government.

I'm w/ Phytotron,
you've taken a few wrong turns.
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

PATRIOT ACT - I'M FLEEING THIS CUNTRY!!!
Phytotron wrote:I find all this reason enough for anyone objecting to this to, in effect, boycott playing in any PRU or other servers who've intimated being involved with this thing.
I object, me boycott.

Phytotron wrote:* You do realise we all are using aliases, right? I doubt your real names are Word and AI-Team.
Phytotron, what is your last name? I want to add you on facebook...

...actually I will just ask Pru for your IP and find you that way :wink:
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I don't have Facebook, or MySpace. I only have my face and space books.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Phytotron wrote:I don't have Facebook, or MySpace. I only have my face and space books.
haha nice.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

It's only searching pru servers so there's nothing to kick up a fuss about
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:No, not the same result. If some joker who isn't well established, with good, long-standing reputation as a server admin or at least with the "community," comes to me and asks me for IPs and names associated with them, he's not getting them. Nor would I ever approach said joker and share IPs and names with him. Or, if I simply don't approve of what's being asked of me and the reason behind it, even if it is an established admin.
The sheer number of servers and server admins makes it easy to find out IPs, even if some of them refuse to give that info to said joker, he will get it elsewhere. You would have to boycott 80% of all servers you like, saibot. Server admins/teams have always shared this information. this ip finder doesn't change anything except that everyone has faster access to it.
You already need an IP to use the IP finder. We don't share IPs with anyone. Just the nicknames if you know already the IP that belongs to it.
Phytotron wrote:I only just noticed the "Criminal" part of your little title. You may think you're being cute, but you're essentially presuming anyone guilty to be proven innocent, rather than the reverse as it should be.
Some of us were just thinking about funny names for it (e.g. Big Tron-Brother, The Armagetron File etc.) but we liked AACRO, hence the "criminal". i don't try to psychoanalyze anyone because of that. it could also be a more harmless name like Armagetron Yellow Pages :)
Phytotron wrote:You're not even going to be open about what servers are involved?
We don't like to keep it manipulable but some server admins didn't want it to become public. They can tell you here that they helped us if they want. But i don't think they will tell anything if there's already such a riot because of this.
Last edited by Word on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
ZURD101
Core Dumper

Post by ZURD101 »

just saying... I shared a 6mb text file of straight "host:name:IP" /line going back a few years to maybe a few months ago. There is nothing wrong with this script. we all have logs to our servers and almost all of us have the ability to look up just as this program does. this is simply public.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Word: that server was not unk sponsored. It existed, but was by no means unks.

Notice: unk is a fort team, not ctf...
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Word wrote: this ip finder doesn't change anything except that everyone has faster access to it.
Lol. Except that's precisely the change.
Word wrote:But i don't think they will tell anything if there's already such a riot because of this.
It's not a riot, or at least it wasn't intended to be. As someone who is active on the forum (I'm guessing from your post count), you should've known that starting a thread like this, even just as an announcement, is like an invitation for people to give their input. Everything stated thus far are simply things we feel are lacking in the legitimacy of this IP finder's function and purpose. I have nothing against PRU or the script itself; I saw Jonathan's post with the php thing and it looked cool, especially because I didn't understand it. That probably took some time to come up with and I understand AI has put time and effort into this finder, so it's not like I'm trying to bash it just for fun. That's not my style. :roll:

But yeah, I'm pretty sure at this point the topic has gone past the productive discussion stage; any more discussion would just be repetition of stuff already mentioned. Judging from some of the pro-finder posts, it seems like no one's really reading the posts anyway. Dialogue is more than just intersecting monologues...geez!
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

nara wrote:
Word wrote:this ip finder doesn't change anything except that everyone has faster access to it.
Lol. Except that's precisely the change.
Yeah, a significantly lowered barrier is a big change, even if it was possible before.
nara wrote:I have nothing against PRU or the script itself; I saw Jonathan's post with the php thing and it looked cool, especially because I didn't understand it. That probably took some time to come up with and I understand AI has put time and effort into this finder, so it's not like I'm trying to bash it just for fun. That's not my style. :roll:
Don't take my code as me supporting the finder. I do it mostly to keep this thing in check, if it manages to stay. Besides, if you do understand how it works, it isn't all that much work. ;)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Word

Post by Word »

i made a poll out of this.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

voted no
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I object and would like my IPs to be blocked from the service as soon as possible. I don't want to think of a new alias every time I want to play as nobody, and my IPs are easy to find for pretty much everyone. Though I could just stick to "Player 1". And I also object globally, as this service collects and aggregates too much data. We try to keep the data harvesting possibilities of the core game as low as we can, and I'd like to see the same standards applied to all third party services. (And, in fact, it's German Privacy Law. You can't just collect personal data around here without explicit user consent.)

The thing I very much dislike about this is that the potential for abuse outweighs the potential good use. Is there a good use at all? If I see some troublemaker on my server, I can enter his IP and get his other names. That's completely worthless information. I want to know whether I should permaban the guy right away. I could search the forums for the names he was using, but good luck with that. Why not, instead of nicknames, post kick stats? How many matches did the user play, how often was he kicked by an angry mob, how often by moderators, and how often by each moderator (maybe one of them just hates the poor guy)?
Word

Post by Word »

Why not, instead of nicknames, post kick stats? How many matches did the user play, how often was he kicked by an angry mob, how often by moderators, and how often by each moderator (maybe one of them just hates the poor guy)?
that's a good alternative. Ai will change it.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Z-Man is clearly trying to hide that he's Durka, not knowing everyone's aware of it already