Team Sumo Knockout Tournament - Sunday, 13th September 2009

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Team Sumo Knockout Tournament - Sunday, 13th September 2009

Post by Word »

congratulations, ct :)
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Word wrote:congratulations, ct :)
Yeah, congratulations ct on the win! :o
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Cool tournament Flex. Can we talk about how the scoring is totally messed up now? ;)

By the way, I freaking love 3v3 sumo.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

I think I understand the theory behind the 1300 score limit.
The TSTs are 1000 and teams are made of 2, so for a bigger team, the larger limit seems reasonable.
However, in the TST there is a maximum potential point threshold of 360 pts. (3*60 full zones, 180, plus 6*30 enemies, 180)
In this format, 3v3, there is a maximum potential point threshold of 150 pts (1*60 full zone, 60, plus 3*30 enemies, 90).
Additionally because their are less enemies, 3 compared to the TST's 6, and less total people 6 compared to 8, it is easier to stay alive. This means it takes longer to win a round and gain a maximum of 150 points. Not only was the limit higher, not only was scoring slower with less points on the board each round, but it was harder to die.
I would suggest for future TSKTs the point limit to be around 720. That said 3v3 sumo proved its might as a general format.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

owned wrote:
Word wrote:congratulations, ct :)
Yeah, congratulations ct on the win! :o
er, what?
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

teen wrote:CONFUCKINGRATS ct on the great 1hr match we played... that was amazingly fun

ct vs nYc tie 1-1, score 1260-1260 match is 1300

most intense ..

Congrats on winning the TSKT!
lolwat? Just because they won against you, doesn't mean they won the TSKT.

Eh the score isn't updated on the scoreboard yet, I assume Team Dorka won. Congratz. o/
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Where did the objectice admining go?

Third match vs. LOLcats, the default server is in use, the secondary server is shit. Our team (the potheads) prefers the default server, and therefor doesn't agree with switching to the secondary one, completely by the rules. We were all euro though, but the potheads are much better on us servers compared to other teams. All the sudden the LOLcats started shouting about our decision, which was ours to make. Epsy joined too, choosing the LOLcat side as he clearly didnt understand our tactics. He was shouting and silencing, threating with disqualification, and finally he said Flex ordered us to play in Pru as we were delaying the tourny and our reason to play in an US server was "the biggest crap I've ever heard".

(I think he ows me an apologize after having called me queer, plain gay, and god knows what.)

Arent admins supposed to look at the rules, and not making decisions which are run by personal emotions? In any case, an admin should be objective and not shouting insultments and silencing here and there. Choosing friends over normal tronners, I thought u were better than that epsy.

Oh and thanks for shouting all our real names over the console and connecting them to our smurfs (hooray for IP tracement). Really the matches ive played were great, (tense last round vs. xyfopers, ds showed some great opposition, LOLcats were pretty tough (wouldve been easier in an US server), BS made it really far and I didnt play/watch the finals because of school). Great matches (forgive me the word choice), shit admins.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

OOPS lol i ment goodluck
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, if you read the rules, you'd find there's nothing there about how primary/secondary servers are chosen. Pretty much everyone except you interpreted that as "same as ladle, secondary server gets chosen if both teams are from its continent".
Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

I can't remember exactly why I ended up at 1300. I have this idea that I wanted to use 1200. The main reason behind such a score isn't any specific calculation other than that I wanted each match to be long enough, but not too long. I dislike short matches, but we never had a lot of time and I never knew how long it would take for an average match. My original preference was 1800, but with 3 matches, that would have been too long, but I believe that's the best score for a 3vs3.

Everything kind of went OK. My server went down at the first round and that caused an hour of delays, I believe. Apart from that, we only had 1 no-show, I think?

Olve; If the first server was busy or down, the only option would have been the backup server, BUT I even took the respect of that tactic and gave the option to move to another TheServerPharm server. I don't know what exactly happened, but one thing for sure was I gave you guys two options. Either move to ANOTHER TheServerPharm server which was empty, (would have been the same exact machine.) Or use the backup server which was PRU. During that time, I'm trying to focus to play a match and not hold up my own game.

If you wanted to speak to me, you know where I was, the IRC channel.

Congratulations on the winner! (I don't know, because nobody bothered to update the wiki.)

P.S. Thanks Z-Man and all the other admins who allowed me to actually take part myself.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Potheads, stop complaining. We are all european and therefore we played in a european server, as it was supposed to be. I don't care if you need "rubber advantage" to play better.. which I find pretty weak imo.
Oh and thanks for shouting all our real names over the console and connecting them to our smurfs
Yeah, it must suck when you act like an irrational asshole under a smurf name and then your real nickname gets revealed, poor Potheads. However, I do agree with you that one admin, the one who organized this.. is very unprofessional. Flex. I wouldn't get into a personal thing with him because he'll disallow you to play in "his" tourneys over personal reasons, noobsaibot knows all about this too. Please, let someone else do it from now on.

Anyways..

We had some great matches! My team was kind of formed at the last moment and weve actually never played together but we really did good. ^^
Also, Z-Man, how do I play those recordings? /scratches head
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

you gotta have 2.8.2 then download the files and shazam.. it usually does it on its on from there going to bookmarks then the chosin download and there you have it. You can watch it from any angle any player and any view .
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Hm, it works for a bit, I can see everyone playing but then it disconnects me. :/
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

@ olive

You omitted several points.

1) The first server was being used. What good is a backup server then?

2) Lizmatic and me were waiting in empty ServerPharm 4 for several minutes. You never showed up. No, you preferred lurking around in Server Pharm 3 where a match was still going on. I call that stalling and it was already late.

3) You say you had the right to make a decision. Indeed. We had the same right, though. And we clearly preferred the imho not bad PRU secondary server. (BTW: I had zero slides the whole game. I really doubt that an american server would have been better.)

4) Might be an oversight (*wink*) but someone put the result as 2:0 vs LC in the bracket. I corrected it as it was 2:1.

After re-reading your post there are several other points I'd like to tackle.

5) You speak of objective admins yet you clearly state that your aim was to gain a one-sided advantage over another team. Though look 2).

6) It was I who said that this was the biggest crap, not epsy. I really don't see any point in playing a high-ping match when I have a valid alternative.

7) The PRU server was one of the best sumo servers I played on.
Last edited by akira on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.