Disabling windows key

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Disabling windows key

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:So, to summarize: IF we are going to intercept certain input events from the OS, it is going to
1. be optional
2. default to off
3. be independent of any internal state of arma (fullscreen/online/splitscreen whatever)
That seem like a lot of extra crap to help a few people avoid hitting a button. Certain keybinds will 'cause almost all games to minimize/close/etc. and most people should be pretty accustomed to not hitting the obvious one. It makes more sense for him to move his turn keys, as he only uses two, it shouldn't matter which two since the feeling is pretty much the same anywhere on that one.

I just don't see it being useful to a ton of people, and seems like a lot of work for a few.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I can't think of any game that uses a closely similar binding set up. The keys I currently use sit on the edge of the keyboard and means my hands sit on the edge of the laptop, I'm not saying I couldn't learn a new set, but it would feel very different and would take some time to get used to. Again, I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, I just feel it would be helpful to some players.
Light

Post by Light »

Bytes wrote:I can't think of any game that uses a closely similar binding set up. The keys I currently use sit on the edge of the keyboard and means my hands sit on the edge of the laptop, I'm not saying I couldn't learn a new set, but it would feel very different and would take some time to get used to. Again, I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, I just feel it would be helpful to some players.
Using A/S would keep your hand in about the same position, but should cause you to arch over the bottom row.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

But then I can't use my little finger on my arrow keys for glancing :P
Light

Post by Light »

Bytes wrote:But then I can't use my little finger on my arrow keys for glancing :P
You lost me, or you have humongous hands ..
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Well that's my right hand, but if I moved my left up it would be weird not to move my right hand up as well. On laptop keyboards using '.' and '/' for right turn leaves your little finger directly over the arrow keys which is perfect for glancing :) Plus you can use that spare finger on shift for braking, but that could move up fine.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Z-Man wrote:What happens when you touch the pad and all mouse actions are unbound in arma? Curious.
It depends on the driver version. The most recent ones perform the same function as pageup/down when touching them at the edges, and home/end when touching them at the top or bottom. This scrolls the chat incessantly. For some reason, this function is entirely independant of the mouse function, disabling the mouse has no effect.

The older driver has the same effect as the scroll wheel, moving my camera height and zoom. Again, disabling the mouse has no effect.