0.2.8_beta4: release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, THAT chat bug is fixed. I don't know about the missing newline bug, because I never saw it in real life.

The builds are ready and on aabeta. Unix users look here:
http://beta.armagetronad.net/?product=a ... =#download
Windows users look here:
http://beta.armagetronad.net/?product=a ... =#download

The Windows builds come in three versions this time. One built with Visual Studio 6, running as 0.2.8_beta4_vc6 on aabeta, one built with Visual Studio 2005 ( tag 0.2.8_beta4_vc8 ) and one built with GCC under code::blocks ( tag 0.2.8_beta4_gcc ). Up to now, Visual Studio 6 was the default, but some people reported fatal problems with the build. Please test them all and report back.

Fonyay's camera switching bug (may be identical to Nemo's), Lucifer's chat bug and the extra round bug are fixed (yes, I said I would not include that, but it has gotten good testing and I needed a later update to gGame.cpp in).

PNG screenshots did not seem to work in Windows and I did not have too much time testing, so I just disabled them in settings.cfg.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I was just on the fortress server when it restarted, and I didn't get any newlines from the server. Weird, eh? I have a screenshot, but the other guys didn't respond and seemed to be talking, so I figured they weren't having it happen. I'm not running a beta of any sort now, I'm running compiled from the beta4 tag when it was first made.

Is this a known bug still, or is it one that you fixed, and in fixing caused it to finally show itself on me? I'll build from source (and get the mandriva package) probly later tonight or tomorrow, or early next week.

(blah, since I dropped my chemistry class today, looks like I've got lots of time now :( )

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Windows user-V6 and gcc both gave me the var is unreadable error. v8 gave me an error

Code: Select all

'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.'
,but it doesn't.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I don't have write permission to the 0.2.8_beta4 folder on aabeta. I uploaded to sf, but there was no template set up. So until then--

http://generalconsumption.org/armagetro ... macosx.dmg
http://generalconsumption.org/armagetro ... 10.2.8.dmg

Edit: For the OS X version, the config layout has changed slightly. To keep your old settings, move your user.cfg file from ~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/ to ~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/var/
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Lucifer wrote:Here's a recording of the disappearing console messages bug I've been having. At about T860 in the recording, caretboy ( _^_ ) asked "is it defence or defense?". I answered "defense", but it didn't appear. He said "thank you" like he read it. I couldn't get him to tell me whether or not he saw it, but I did type it.
That's old... I've always assumed it's just the chat packet getting lost somewhere (in this case, on the return path)
z-man wrote:The Windows builds come in three versions this time. One built with Visual Studio 6, running as 0.2.8_beta4_vc6 on aabeta, one built with Visual Studio 2005 ( tag 0.2.8_beta4_vc8 ) and one built with GCC under code::blocks ( tag 0.2.8_beta4_gcc ). Up to now, Visual Studio 6 was the default, but some people reported fatal problems with the build. Please test them all and report back.
I reorganized them to put compiler in the OS field. That way they're considered separate items. Instead of GCC, shouldn't it be Mingw or Cygwin? AFAIK, vanilla GCC doesn't support Windows...
nemostultae wrote:I don't have write permission to the 0.2.8_beta4 folder on aabeta.
That's why README says "mkdir -m g+ws -p", z-man... =p
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Aww, Readmes are for weaks! Umm, sorry. I see you fixed it.

Iceman and Luke: If you don't want a bug to be fixed, assuming it's old (so nobody cares or knows how to fix it anyway) or already fixed (because it's so obvious that a five year old would spot it) is the perfect way. :) Last time I checked, we don't have a five year old on the team.

Lucifer: there was at a time between the first tag and the tags as they are now where your own chat messages would be "decorated" with random characters after the real end. A VisualC bugfix backfired. I don't know, perhaps your problem was related?

Your_mom: I'll launch my Win2K_with_NTFS_filesystem virtual machine and see whether I see anything. K, Klax, Tank: any ideas what may be going wrong?

I added the files to SF. Nemo, I was faster :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Duh. I don't seem to have a suitable virtual machine, I had to boot into a real Windows installation. Luckily, the one on my laptop is reasonably pristine, it even has the startup sound unchanged ;) Installation as a normal user failed, but silently. When I installed as administrator succeeded, but failed to install start menu entries for the users. Running the game as a normal user worked fine, the user data directory and var subdirectory got created. The VC8 version failed; it seems to be missing a runtime DLL.
I added bug entries for all three problems, asinged to me.

Your_mom: did you install the game as administrator and run it as a normal user?
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:If you don't want a bug to be fixed, assuming it's old (so nobody cares or knows how to fix it anyway) or already fixed (because it's so obvious that a five year old would spot it) is the perfect way. :)
Nono... I was assuming it wasn't a bug in the game... but rather a bug in the network.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

z-man wrote:Your_mom: did you install the game as administrator and run it as a normal user?
I had installed the game as admin and ran the client as admin.

I had to reinstall beta 3 for a working version.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom: have you tried running it as a normal user? Do you use "Run as..." or are you permanently logged in as andmin?
It's probably time for a special diagnostics version.

Luke: Well, yes, packets get lost. But it's our job to work around that.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

About the other Lucifer: I checked the logs, it seems he just was a regular faker. Someone logged in from a low port number (indicating a Windows user), and about ten seconds later he sent his player ID. He probably was in spectator mode until then, trying to match your colors or something.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

z-man wrote:Your_mom: have you tried running it as a normal user? Do you use "Run as..." or are you permanently logged in as andmin?
Perminantly logged in an admin account. Why would running as a "restricted user" change the error?
It's probably time for a special diagnostics version.
I guess so
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom wrote:Why would running as a "restricted user" change the error?
Dunno. It probably wouldn't. But using "Run as..." may change things to the worse. Some installers I came across fail mysteriously wen started with "Run as...".

New bug (fixed in CVS and on the Fortress): The ACK packets were sent with ACK requests, so they got an ACK response. If both client and server are affected, a ACK pong game starts. It does not get an avalanche, though, so it only wastes bandwidth since ACK messages are small.
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

I'm guessing the warpy walls glitch is gone now? :D 8)
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, it isn't. I didn't know about a warpy wall glitch, so logically, I could not fix it.
Unless, of course, it was one of the side effects of the timer problems. Sounds like it could be. So maybe it's fixed. If not, please provide details :)