Just in case you think it's no big deal

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
nara
Core Dumper

Re: Just in case you think it's no big deal

Post by nara »

You know, it's interesting to see people jumping to Pressure's defense, or at least automatically assuming he is not a sexist shit. I don't see any evidence he isn't, and some evidence he is. Also, I'm beginning to realize that there isn't just a tolerance for trolling on this game, but like, some kind of respect and admiration for trolling - like it is the epitome of not giving a shit.

All I have to say to that is, being able to take shit and dish it out in this game doesn't really make you anything. If you're a grown adult (or even younger) and still spending your time online trying to get a rise out of people, there's absolutely nothing cool about that. If it's fun, do it in a way that does not continue the disrespect of women that is already very present in the real world. That's what I care about.

I can totally understand Liz having to defend herself on the grid. I don't know her experience, but if you're a woman in this game and don't feel like hearing or taking the direct or implied sexism (also racism, homophobia, etc.) on the grid, people are going to give you shit. I'm capable of defending myself or ignoring it, I've done both. Good for Liz and I and anyone else who doesn't take shit, but that doesn't really mean anything more than we are not intimidated and don't take shit (when we feel like it). There is nothing admirable about an environment in which people have to actively defend themselves because people are attacking and spewing shit a good portion of the time. The Internet seems to be conceptualized as this great frontier in which people who can take the most shit and dish it out are these strong solitary individuals making a way for themselves.....lol. Do you secretly just want to be cowboys?

Moderation is hopefully coming back. We have two server owners who are bringing it back into their servers, and hopefully more people will take moderation more seriously on the grid. I don't care about people talking shit if it's not really hurting anyone. It's when they use sexist narratives intended to disempower women and put them "in their place" that I have a problem. Women have been deprived of their rights and their rightful equal standing to men throughout history and today, and I don't like to see Tronners contributing to that.

And like, I know in certain servers/game modes where trolling is an integral part of the interaction, not trolling is like....what do we talk about now? lol. Changes require creativity, but also, I'm not proposing an overhaul of the entire culture. I think people will find things to talk about without putting down women, black people, gay people, etc. (keeping in mind words don't mean the same thing to everyone).
Last edited by nara on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

From what I can see, nobody here is really going to defend PreSsure if he did it. We just can't condemn him until we know for certain. You wouldn't want us to condemn you if PreSsure came here and posted screenshots that show someone with your name making racist remarks, would you?
As for Lizmatic, I don't really know the amount of abuse she experiences currently but from my earlier time on the grid I remember plenty of examples where she was the one who would put down others in horrible ways without any real provocation at all. In some instances, she was the victim, but in many others, she was the offending party or a little of both. I suppose there are better examples for what you're trying to show though.
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

Pressure is usually a sweet guy on the grid. Maybe you're over reacting nara?
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

Taz is right. Don't let it get to you, this kind of threads are what feeds the trolls.
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

No Slov, Taz isn't right; good moderation is what is needed and these kind of threads are necessary to improve things.
Playing since December 2006
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Monkey wrote:No Slov, Taz isn't right; good moderation is what is needed and these kind of threads are necessary to improve things.
QFT

I think that many in this game and community are fed up with what has been allowed as acceptable behavior. The idea that we are tossing around is some real moderation in servers that would have to be of a certain quality in terms of ping stability that would be allowed to wear a certain tag. That tag would indicate to players that the server in question meets certain standards that are as yet to be hammered out.
The idea is to have servers that have a safer, more pleasant environment, for those that want it.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Just to echo what others have said, this is not a case of growing a thicker skin. I feel like now is a good time to explore what realistic steps we can take to improve our community. What tools are available to help facilitate moderation?

Years ago in an attempt to cut back on foul language, some Wild West servers ran a word filter script. Triggering the bot too many times would result in a temporary silence. Continued abuse would result in an auto kick/ban. Of course, it's fairly easy to outsmart a word-filter and I'm not suggesting one be used in this way. But is possible to improve on this idea? For example, using a filter that silently tracks offensive language and reports IPs to server administrators for review? This seems trivial to implement.

As small as our community is I have no reservations about banning abusive people from servers. I think we're long overdue for a public blacklist. Speaking of lists, I am creating a whitelist of players I consider to have high integrity in this area. I want something to easily RINCLUDE. Once I get it set up I will publish the configuration file and location on the wiki. It will also include a default message of "Discriminatory language will not be tolerated" in the MOD, server options, and round console. (naturally, server owners should include this at the beginning of their file if they use those settings for something else.)

Can anyone think of other things to include in the list? Let's use every tool available to increase awareness. On the topic of awareness, I have marked my servers with a pink @ symbol to remind me of my commitment.

If the community is to improve on this matter we need to empower the players who want to make a difference. That means promoting people to moderator, hindering people who are abusive, and creating novel tools to make the process easier.
Word

Post by Word »

Well, to me a thick skin just seemed to be necessary when talking to Durf, but aside from that I do agree. It's just an alternative for me as long as there's no proper technical method to ban or silence them.

Proposal: Have a list of words that cause the relevant chat string to be sent to IRC. Then the people in the IRC channel can act as moderators of all servers at once; perhaps notify them like at start of a pickup game. This would have to be limited, so the channel isn't spammed. Also, why not introduce the possibility of starting a poll to silence the player (that is valid even after he leaves and re-enters, maybe with another vote to unsilence him)? We had this already.
GRANDMASTERPRESSURE

Post by GRANDMASTERPRESSURE »

Well well well, *looks around...

NARA, NARA, NARA...

How are you gonna troll me under an alias then when I respond you're gonna come crying here to the forum? Shame on you, girlfriend! And you guys for eating this bull-ish up, tsk tsk tsk.

So, Nara, why didn't you tell'em you polled to kick me as soon as I entered the server?
Why didn't you tell'em you were under an alias?
Why didn't you tell'em how you were run'n YOUR mouth from the start?
Would you expect anyone to lay down and take the sh¡t you spewed?
Did I even know it was you? Did I even know you were a chick? You didn't even have the balls (well now that I know you don't....literally have the balls) to tell me it was you, and we've been cool for 'nuff years. But instead you continued to dish it under alias and you just couldn't take it when I returned it right back to you. tsk tsk tsk.

Misogynist? *chuckles
Honey, I'm a lover.

BUT MAYBE... if you had boyfriend, he could help you get the sand out of your vag, ya f**king brat, troll.

'f**k outta here.

THX for the headsup Tazzy Boy.

Bad preSs is Good preSs!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Last edited by GRANDMASTERPRESSURE on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

And the troll shows up to the forums....
GRANDMASTERPRESSURE

Post by GRANDMASTERPRESSURE »

compguygene wrote:And the troll shows up to the forums....
It doesn't make me a troll. Just a wise guy. I accept that criticism. If you think a relatively subtle wisecrack "ruins" this community you should stick around. Your feelings have only begun to get hurt.

Last edited by GRANDMASTERPRESSURE on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

For the record, my feelings are NOT hurt. I just don't like to see others stomped on.....
And ruining this community??? Nah.... The community is a bit of a mess, like all gaming communities. Some are much worse. We can make parts of this gaming community better. By the way, I think the most annoying thing about you is that your name is long enough to mess up the way this forum renders using the default template.
The debate has long since moved beyond what started it.
Word

Post by Word »

Well, can we compare IPs now? I still doubt this is the real pressure. Why didn't he do something like that during the last 6 years?
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

GRANDMASTERPRESSURE wrote:Well well well, *looks around...

NARA, NARA, NARA...

How are you gonna troll me under an alias then when I respond you're gonna come crying here to the forum? Shame on you, girlfriend! And you guys for eating this bull-ish up, tsk tsk tsk.

So, Nara, why didn't you tell'em you polled to kick me as soon as I entered the server?
Why didn't you tell'em you were under an alias?
Why didn't you tell'em how you were run'n YOUR mouth from the start?
Would you expect anyone to lay down and take the sh¡t you spewed?
Did I even know it was you? Did I even know you were a chick? You didn't even have the balls (well now that I know you don't....literally have the balls) to tell me it was you, and we've been cool for 'nuff years. But instead you continued to dish it under alias and you just couldn't take it when I returned it right back to you. tsk tsk tsk.

Misogynist? *chuckles
Honey, I'm a lover.

BUT MAYBE... if you had boyfriend, he could help you get the sand out of your vag, ya f**king brat, troll.

'f**k outta here.

THX for the headsup Tazzy Boy.

Bad preSs is Good preSs!
Seems like a Solid Case. Agreed
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

GRANDMASTERPRESSURE wrote:
compguygene wrote:And the troll shows up to the forums....
It doesn't make me a troll. Just a wise guy.