What it is it going to take to make a .4 stable release?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: What it is it going to take to make a .4 stable release?

Post by compguygene »

Would you hate the new cockpit less if there was an easily accessible cockpit that was very similar to the .2.8.2 one?
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

The possibility to switch between different cockpits via menu would be really nice.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

With so much else to be done, I would hate to see something like a cockpit viewer/switcher be yet another feature/reason to delay this ever being finished.
Personally, I have to really think that if this is ever going to get to an actual stable release we need to be thinking of a final feature set and shoot for that, no more. That was my real purpose behind this topic. If we are not careful here, we will end up pushing the featureset up to the point of never getting a stable release. We need to be thinking along the lines of finishing what is there and making it work.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

compguygene wrote:Would you hate the new cockpit less if there was an easily accessible cockpit that was very similar to the .2.8.2 one?
YES

One of the biggest reasons why anyone on 0.2.8.2 won't use 0.4 is because they dislike how the look and feel of the game they used to play changed so drastically. Specifically the sounds are the biggest complaint.

Not that there is anything wrong with the 0.4 cockpit and sounds, but when a 'pro' tronner is used to dealing with certain things about how tron plays, then those things change suddenly, they will be turned off from playing.

I've considered working on armagetron myself, and I've come up with plenty of additions, features, and changes; but the most important thing, IMO, when making the new tron is to offer everything that it used to be to the existing users. (full backwards compatibility)
This means everything from the look and feel, to sounds, text, literally everything, to be available in some menu somewhere so that old users can turn on "nostalgia mode" or something. lol

Not everything is wrong with 0.4 though. A few things that I really enjoyed (when I got the chance the use it) were the mini-map(radar), the resolution support, and the text improvements.

To give you an idea, I've really enjoyed using 0.3, for the brief time that I did, because as far as I could tell, it was exactly like 0.2.8.2 but with a mini-map! That is a great example of tron staying the same where it matters (the look and feel to players) while still adding in something useful.

@phytotron, I have on my to-do list somewhere, a 'cockpit editor' tool. Hopefully I will get around to making that sometime after Christmas.

Anyway, hopefully soon I will be able to do more than just talk, and make some real contributions ;o
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

There is a classic Cockpit for 0.4 in the wiki.

I think it would be very helpfull, if there was a automatic build system for all platforms and make the access to trunk build easier. When more people use 0.4, we get more feedback about problems.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I agree, the only platform ive been able to reliably build tron on without fiddly bits is Gentoo, and frankly, that doesnt count. The builds should be automated, there is no reason at all to do them manually.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Jip wrote:The possibility to switch between different cockpits via menu would be really nice.
Also, what Durf said.

Absolutely, yes. I would love having the old cockpit
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

compguygene wrote:Would you hate the new cockpit less if there was an easily accessible cockpit that was very similar to the .2.8.2 one?
Like that v
cockpit.png
Like that ^

http://184.9.192.78/armagetronad/resour ... ockpit.xml

theres my 0.2 looking edit...

EDIT: Fixed broken link.
Last edited by aP|Nelg on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

A pretty important part, to me at least, is stop making the ******* game easier. I know you want to draw in new players, but dogfight already does that. Every update makes the rubber more and more forgiving, to the point that I damn near have to kill myself now to die on a server with more than 2 rubber.

Im sure this request will be ignored, because you guys dont give a ****. But thats exactly why 3 died too. You added lots of fluff but nothing useful.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

You keep complaining about the game being too easy and I've still yet to see you win a match any time we're in the same server.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@/dev/null:
Fast Track 1v1 kgo
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Phytotron wrote:I still hate the new cockpit concept, and the requirements for editing it.
I wanted to reiterate that second point. It isn't only about the aesthetic design. My primary objection is to the method of editing it.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Phytotron wrote:
Phytotron wrote:I still hate the new cockpit concept, and the requirements for editing it.
I wanted to reiterate that second point. It isn't only about the aesthetic design. My primary objection is to the method of editing it.
Would a cockpit editor tool fix that for you?
Or is it some problem with the XML syntax that needs changing?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Durf wrote:Or is it some problem with the XML syntax that needs changing?
It's the very fact that XML is used at all.

Not that it really matters. The game has been killed, and the community has absolutely gone into the shitter, worst it has ever been. I don't really care much at this point.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Phytotron wrote:
Durf wrote:Or is it some problem with the XML syntax that needs changing?
It's the very fact that XML is used at all.

Not that it really matters. The game has been killed, and the community has absolutely gone into the shitter, worst it has ever been. I don't really care much at this point.
Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growing