The time is right

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: The time is right

Post by Z-Man »

bilbo baggins wrote:forgive me if im being an idiot but wouldnt that make everyone invincible?
Yes!
bilbo baggins wrote:and therefore make the game pointless?
That is an interesting question. Is any game, by definition, not pointless to begin with? Plus, once free from death and all the other mechanics that tie to it (score, determining the killer, respawning), the game could evolve in interesting new directions.

Also, to those saying "you can already do this or that with settings", you're missing the point. The point is to eliminate the possibility to do anything else.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

I dont know about settings commands pretty well but what about "10 seconds to scape"
no rubber (or infinite), but when you are boxed you have 10 seconds for scape of a determinate size then restart your time. I dont know if is that possible... but the pressure is better than play with rubber
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

orion wrote:I dont know about settings commands pretty well but what about "10 seconds to scape"
no rubber (or infinite), but when you are boxed you have 10 seconds for scape of a determinate size then restart your time. I dont know if is that possible... but the pressure is better than play with rubber
The problem is the game determining when you are boxed or not. I remember a thread where Word mentioned something similar, but I can't remember the context. Word: do you remember? Something to do with score detection was it? And how it really wasn't possible?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yes, that is the one. Well done.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

bilbo baggins wrote:and therefore make the game pointless?
That is an interesting question. Is any game, by definition, not pointless to begin with? Plus, once free from death and all the other mechanics that tie to it (score, determining the killer, respawning), the game could evolve in interesting new directions.[/quote]

yes but in any game-mode there is a common objective that revolves around killing the enemy (df, fort-kill enemy for advantage, sumo-kill enemy to get territory points, ctf-maybe because of rewspawns killing is kinda pointless here) therefore what would the common objective be? thinking in terms of fort defending would be sooo easy, altho despite that it would be interesting to see the effects, i wouldnt want you to eradicate rubber tho that would suck, just some servers with infinite rubber to see what happens and how the game changes
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Last time I checked, the main point of Fortress was to take the enemy zone. Main point of Sumo was to stay inside the zone even though it it is shrinking. Main point of CTF is to move the enemy flag from A to B. Sure, adaptions would be required to compensate for the lack of death to avoid degenerate strategies (Sumo: drive towards the center, curl up), but who knows? Those may be more interesting than simple death.

In case you can't tell, I'm mostly trolling.