Fortress Moviepack

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

2020 wrote:so we can say to pos6,7,8 to split before 3
pos4,5 before 2
pos3,2 before 1
which gives pos1 the opportunity to hit 0
That was exactly the kind of thing I had in mind with the numbers.

The moviepack has been used a few times in ct matches. And for those who use it it works great. But there's always a couple on the team who have forgotten to load it up or find it reduces their fps or simply don't like it. You're trying to tell them to split at 3 and they look at you blankly (at least, that's what I imagine they are doing).
It can also give you more to think about and sometime take away from the purity of the game. I like it and still use it from time to time, but not all the time.

Oh and about the colours you mentioned. I simply chose what felt right at the time. I can't remember any thought going into it.

The original svg file used to create the floor is included in the pack. Tinker at will.
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

Cool stuff ed. Just played with it today along with radian and 2020. 2020 recorded ourselves playing with some audio feedback on it. Overall I liked it a lot.

One concern i have.....i try to tinker with my settings, turning as many things off as possible, to increase my fps which at times struggles mucho. How does this moviepack, and i guess for that matter, moviespacks in general, effect fps, ping, lag, etc.? Does it? If so any settings that can be tweaked with in the game? Would like to know..
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

amazing thing about this game
is that we share the same grid
and yet it looks totally different from player to player!

first time using the pack
ed
i love it!
we recorded feedback and should be on the podcast:
playing fortress at http://davidpinto.org/tron+.html
but i am afraid i lost the second half of the recording
as well as buggered up the sound :s
suffice to say
if we manage to get a fortress fork
would be nice to catch your idea of your design on podcast :)

edit: what we lost in the second recording:
the lines between the coloured ones in centre
interfere with the flow
imho
i think the 3-2-1-0 shouldn't be interfered with
what do you think
hold the line
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

2020 wrote:if we manage to get a fortress fork
No need for a fortress fork; how about configuring servers that have remote moviepacks that load for everyone when they join the server. Of course, if they don't want to use that moviepack, then they'd have to change it back (or when they move to another server).

Maybe something like RMOVIEPACK edfort(http://plantpeanuts.../edfort.mpck).

Just some hopeful wishing :P.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

interesting suggestion
about imposing a pack upon a player...
hmmm
like custom cam
not a bad idea
but probably pretty hard to implement

anyhoo
the fork i am mentioning is concs:
a fortress dedicated arma for noobs
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=19102
hold the line
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I've always thought server specific textures would be neat. Or even a way to load more than one moviepack into the Arma directory and choose them in-game from a menu.

And I've always thought there could be more trail textures and cycle models packaged with arma, so you can pick them the same way as colors. People love customizing stuff. It would be neat if Arma could support multiple models, and cycle walls all going at the same time. And even though I hate to say it, maybe the color bug could be an included option. Players could choose cycle color, bike style, trail color, and trail style from the "Player 1 settings" menu - and have it look that way over the network since all the clients have the same resources.

blah, blah, blah... I love to talk. :pdog:
Sorry! Back to topic please!
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

2020 wrote:would be nice to catch your idea of your design
The main reason for the moviepacks existance was because centre whores annoyed the hell out of me. We were loosing matches mainly due to these stinking bitches.
With this pack, if the team has a strategic breaking plan then we could put an end to their foul ways. The plan being that players at positions 1 and 2 (or 1 and 3) break left and right at the exact same position on the grid leaving the opposing attacker no wall to grind against in order to begin a centre attack. With practice it is easily possible to break very close to your chosen break line nearly everytime. The tactic, when used properly was very effective, centre whoring becomes near impossible for the opposing team. But it does require participation from a number of key players of the team, this being its main downfall, at least in my experience.
The reason for so many break lines and half break lines was so that you are able to alter the strategy depending on the opposing team and mess it up a little, so they don't catch on to your strategy...
"They've mastered the art of the double grind to perfection, they're coming in too fast, we're going to have to break at 1.5 and go wide"
or
"They're in a mess, let's go for a break at -1, take out their front men with our speed. Then you, private, make a hole in their main defence, the rest of us will charge through and gank the muthers! Then we can all go home."
(centre whoring is bad, intentional holing, then ganking is good ;))

The spawn numbers are there for obvious reasons, the rest of the markings was just me an wrtlprnft having some fun.

There's a similar moviepack for styball here.

I'd be all for admins making moviepacks available for use on certain maps. I'd go to town on flower sumo ;)
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

i was hoping to record it :)
there's no way i am going to get a friend to read this post
but listen to a designer
while watching them play...
now that's a different matter :)

i agree with the 1.5
but i think that will come even without the .5 line

catch you on the grid sometime
with a mic ;)
hold the line
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Fortress Moviepack

Post by Phytotron »

Yep, three years old. However, I was browsing these old graphical topics and noticed something curious about the first post in this thread. The preview for the second screenshot of the moviepack—that's mine. :o Just the preview—if you click it you get the intended "fortress moviepack" screenshot. Since it's only the preview that's been affected and is too small to make out, I have no recollection what it's of (or, therefore, where it might've been originally posted), but I recognise those rim walls; I made them back in late '05 and hadn't given them to anyone else. Anyone have an idear?