We have a buildbot

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Aha. I would suggest that you make the macosx-client build factory support the branch too somehow. I wound up going to the linux-all buildfactory when I noticed how much 2 simultaneous builds really dragged performance down. One build doesn't disturb me that much, but 2 simultaneous builds are pretty gnarly. It's up to you, of course, it's your machine. :)

In other news, I switched CMOS batteries from a bad motherboard to a good one and it looks like I'll soon have a win2k machine. Hopefully I can put a terminal server on it that'll run reasonably fast, but we'll see. Heh, also, hopefully I'll be able to get enough patches and crap on it that it'll run fairly safely.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Perhaps this may be of interest: There is a new GPLed virtualizer around. It's called VirtualBox. The link was unreachable when I tried, probably got slashdotted. Here's a German review. It cat run in a GUI-less mode that can be controlled from the ourside; I'd guess that it would be possible to make a real Windows installation (can be an old one like 2k) do whatever can be scripted on a real Windows machine.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I have a buildslave in windows now. Doesn't succeed in the svn checkout, and the trunk failed to build on the machine anyway. Heh. This is a pain. :/ Anyway, any idea if a service running as LocalMachine has the PATH environment variable?

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, we nominally have a windows buildslave. At least, it gets as far as update_version.bat, testing right now to see if it builds with codeblocks' batch build, but the trunk didn't build when I went through the IDE, and I've no idea if the branch build setup looks anywhere near the same. I suppose I should check that out, eh?

Anyway, running out of steam...

Edit:

@nemo: I found how to do locks, so if you check the new master.cfg you should see how to do locks, so you can setup separate builds and use locks so that the buildslave only runs one build at a time and queues the rest. So linux-server and linux-client are back, because I'd rather see which it tried to build in separate columns. :)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, it looks like the windows buildslave is mostly working. Still don't know about the make dist part, where it runs NSIS, other than NSIS is installed. What has to be done to build an installer, anyway?

So, the build fails in the Compile stage at a place where it failed when I tried running through codeblocks's ide.

http://buildbot.davefancella.com:9990/w ... /builds/14

This is the trunk, obviously. Anybody know anything about this? It's a boost problem....

Edit: Tested branch build, the branch fails. So someone who knows more about how we build in windows can now take a look at support/buildbot/buildmaster/master.cfg and probably figure it out. :)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, this is NOT a boost problem :)

Code: Select all

Compiling: ..\..\src\engine\sound\sdl_mixer\eChannelSDLMixer.cpp
../../src/engine/sound/sdl_mixer/eChannelSDLMixer.cpp:2:30: eChannelSDLMixer.h: No such file or directory
In the branch, a complete build and release procedure (which does not work completely from SVN because some autostuff does not get handled) is:
- call makedist.bat
- build build_codeblocks/armagetronad.workspace
- call nsis on the nsis installer files copied into the dist/ subdirectory
No update_version.bat, and the build/makedist order is reversed.

I don't know how NSIS is supposed to work on the trunk.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

So I guess I'd like to add to the 0.2.8 list of things to do, "make automated windows builds work". Same with the 0.3.1 laundry list.

Heh, why is the error changing? When I compiled in the IDE, the error was in boost, a boost header went missing when building the cockpit. The first failed windows build from the command line had the same errors. I guess I'll look into it in a bit, still working on some other parts of the buildbot.

So, there's no more armabuilder in the irc channel. I had disabled forcing builds in the web interface because people kept forcing builds when I was trying to work on it and it was really getting in the way. Now people are doing it in the irc channel. So I've set up a proxy, you can get a read-only interface at http://buildbot.davefancella.com/ . Developers who ask nicely and haven't wasted my time with this bullshit already can ask me for a user and pass to http://buildbot.davefancella.com/dev/ , where they can force builds from a web ui. If you guys want irc notifications now, write a plugin for supybot. :) Port 9988 is available for buildbot.davefancella.com for such things, in fact there's a pretty ok py-gtk app that ships with buildbot that shows you how to do it.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'd just like to note that the last time I tried with Code::Blocks 1.0rc2, both the trunk (tested yesterday) and 0.2.8 (Friday?) worked fine without missing files or errors from boost.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

:) Noted. Mind you, there's much more room for operator error here than a broken build. GodTodd in the irc channel got the trunk to build with onlly one problem, and he commented the offending line.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, the proxy setup was broken, so I fixed it. Now use http://waterfall.davefancella.com/ for the read-only view. http://buildbot.davefancella.com/ requires user and pass.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Can you PM me a user/password for the admin interface? The current build is frozen (clean builds freeze up for some reason), so it needs to stopped and restarted for it to work.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

While you're at it, would you mind telling me if you like the pastel colors better than the default colors? :)

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I like the pastel colors more than the default.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, 2 people liking it is good enough for me. :) Switched it. I was having a hard time reading some of the boxes in the default css, so I figured if I made it all look faded it would be easier to read. :)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Minor buildslave changes. I'll update the wiki to reflect this, but here's the new general procedure for setting up a buildslave:

do the svn checkout.

Create a directory under the buildslave directory. Copy the "info" directory to it. We'll call it "buildroot". Now edit buildroot/info/admin and put your name (and optionally an email address). Edit buildroot/info/host and put in some host information. 1 line for each file.

Create two files. userinfo should contain your buildslave's user and password, in the form of "user:password", no quotation marks, only one line, and it must be the first line. the file basedir should be one line with the absolute path to the directory you created in the last paragraph.

Now you can commit changes you make to buildslaves that are generally useful, and get updates without clobbering your login information. :) My linux buildslave has been updated to use the new setup, windows buildslave hasn't yet (it needs work anyway).

- Iron Maiden