Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: The Stupid Questions Thread!

Post by Word »

I'd prefer to call it "why Gingrich is controversial" :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Why? He's no better, in many ways waaayy worse, than Perry—for example, Perry has never advocated for repealing child labour laws and having poor kids wipe up the urine and feces of their schoolmates. Oooooh, wait, it's because Newt's a born-again Catholic, isn't it? That gives him a pass, huh.
Word

Post by Word »

well, I'm sorry to disappoint you but I only based it on this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/1 ... 44026.html

from my point of view someone like him wouldn't have any chance in the part of the political world I understand better, just like Perry, Bachmann, and most other GOP candidates wouldn't. It's just all the same populist nonsense to me and I don't understand how such a big party can let their candidates throw around such remarks. It seems to me they took that old Oscar Wilde quote literally ("The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." - didn't look it up but iirc it's from him). Perry/Bachmann are of a different quality because they really seem to believe in what they say, they appear to be stupid fundies indeed whereas Gingrich just seems to say something moronic for the sake of getting attention, and from the few videos I saw he seems like a very, very cold and calculating person that pretends to be an average citizen occasionally. We had such politicians as well, but they made far different, comparably harmless remarks that didn't have any impact on the rest of the world. But feel free to correct me if that's a totally wrong impression...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:We had such politicians as well, but they made far different, comparably harmless remarks that didn't have any impact on the rest of the world.
Say whaaaa?
Word

Post by Word »

while writing this I realized that was easy to misunderstand. :? Of course I didn't mean the Third Reich but what we have now, the BRD. :)

To name a few, there's Kurt Beck (german video, but then you know what he looks like) a fat simpleton who was accused of bribery and nepotism (but to this day never sued for) but is still the head of Rhineland-Palatine and got away with it. Or Rainer Brüderle (with subtitles I can't understand either), someone the media regularly mock because he's talking like a drunkard (and you can meet him on a lot of events for that target group, too). Nonetheless he has an important position in the liberal party and he probably won't give it up in the next 30 years. Or Chancellor Merkel's predecessor, Schroeder, who became part of Gazprom's managing board shortly after he lost the elections and made a deal in the name of the state with the company he's now working for (as almost everything in Russia, it's not a privately owned company of course, though the oligarchs are the ones who get the money).

Just thought I should post this cause I found it again (you don't need to understand German to like it ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zegIgKCyvAM#t=0m50s
Word

Post by Word »

What do you make of this?

http://philmfotos.tumblr.com/
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Ha, I like that. I'd like to see him venture out of NYC (and not to LA), but it's probably just some dude. Maybe it'll take off and others will start doing it. I want to see scenes from Stripes; the whole first part of that movie was filmed here.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

How many Christians do you suppose use 2046 (or 8046) as a PIN number?
Word

Post by Word »

No idea. I got mine together with my mobile phone and never changed it.