usage of glancing

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
meriton
Round Winner

usage of glancing

Post by meriton »

How many of those using 0.3.0 or newer use the following glancing feature (please speak up if you do)

"When a glance key is pressed while another glance key already is, the new glance key modifies the old glance."

i.e. if you hold glance right, and then press glance back, the camera turns another 90°, instead of 180° that pressing a glance back usually causes.

I ask because I am triggering that "feature" more often accidentally then intentionally and am thinking about removing it to simplify manual camera control.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Not using it. I have CAMERA_CUSTOM_TURN_SPEED set to 0 and never press two keys at once.
There's no place like ::1
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

slightly off topic, but i reinstalled 0.2.8.2 because of the glance speed in 0.3; for me, glancing 180 was impossible to use.
meriton
Round Winner

Post by meriton »

have you tried setting glance speed higher ...? Options are documented at

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php/ ... lance_Keys
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I use them on incam sometimes i never pressed 2 at once though
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

i'm on 0.2.8.2 too because of the glance, i use it a lot while turning and i dont like when it doesn't move with the cycle
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

meriton
Round Winner

Post by meriton »

What do you mean by "moving with the cycle"? If your post was supposed to be a feature request please be clearer.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I'm pretty sure newbie is talking about the camera turning too when you turn the cycle while glancing, which is the old behaviour of the glance. Your mom told me it was still possible to switch back to this behaviour by changing camera_glance_mode, but - after checking the page you just mentioned - i'm pretty sure he was wrong.

On topic: I don't use that glancing feature, I thought it was especially a nuiseance with the default camera where the angular velocity is low and you can't quickly change glancing direction.
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

meriton wrote:have you tried setting glance speed higher ...? Options are documented at

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php/ ... lance_Keys
Even though the actual glance is made faster, I can't seem to speed up the camera snapping back to looking forwards.

It's unplayable for me :( it'd be like driving a car and turning your head round to look behind you, instead of using your mirrors, you would die.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Infamous wrote:it'd be like driving a car and turning your head round to look behind you, instead of using your mirrors, you would die.
Been driving like that for 10 years now. Can't trust the mirrors, they don't reveal what's in the blindspots, that's why they're called blind spots. Of course, that's where the collisions actually occur, so you have to be looking there....

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

You obviously look into your blind spots, but surely don't turn your head right around to look at the car behind you when driving along, what if the car in front had to brake sharply? you would crash.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Surely you don't tailgate?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

of course not. But in this country, to pass the driving test you have to look in 2 mirrors before EVERY turn (centre mirror and the wing mirror of the side you are turning) before you even signal you are going to turn. You also have to look in your centre mirror before you change your speed every time; going from a 40 mph zone to a 30 mph zone for example. If you didn't do that on 3 occasions on the test, you'd fail and have to wait another 6 weeks for a test.

Blindspots only come into it when parking or changing lanes don't they?
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

or turning right. Not being a car driver but riding a bike every day, that's the most dangerous thing for cyclists.
OTOH, it happened to me once (the car driver's fault) at low speed, and the car got a big scrape all along its right side, while nothing serious happened to me. Gotta be a lesson for the driver :P
There's no place like ::1
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Infamous wrote: Even though the actual glance is made faster, I can't seem to speed up the camera snapping back to looking forwards.
For some reason it does snap back fast when you use a custom camera. A couple of people posted their settings here