Capture the flag sty

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Your_mom
Match Winner

Capture the flag sty

Post by Your_mom »

Groundpig amazing job! Only problem is not enough people understand how to play yet.

Get the opponents flag(small zone) and take it to your base. Defenders can either guard thier flag or guard the opponents zone so the opposing team cant score.

Standard ctf rules you cant get points with the opponents flag if the opposing team has yours

3rd spawn point or center seem to make the best goalies

Again groundpig good job...(goes back to playing)

ps. could you please post the code for this and the soccer stuff?
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

Thanks!

The code is really hacky... As you could tell, I was using your soccer map with local zone changes and reusing the ball/goal DTD types just to try CTF out. So, the code only works for CTF now, not soccer.

Could you update the DTD you made for me to include a new "flag" zone type? Then I could make it work with all game modes and I'd feel better about posting it.
groundpigs don't fly
2+2=5!
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by 2+2=5! »

I agree! I've been having so much fun on this server in the last few days.

Actually the most fun I had was the first time I was there. Before the respawns and before you had to have your flag home in order to cap the other team's flag. IMO it was more fun that way.. very crazy and chaotic and all sorts of crazy strategies were taking place. This way defending your flag is ALWAYS important. What i've noticed with the new settings is that when both teams have the flag the game really slows down, and the people with the flags just run around trying to avoid getting killed and it's really hard to catch them.

My suggestion is this. Try putting the zones back in the center(or not!), and keep the respawns, but have people respawn on the sides. And then allow flag caps anytime. Try it! It could be really fun.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

i still have not gotten a chance to play it is always full

i'm sure its great though
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

I love this server! I could play it all nice! Awesome work! :D
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Outside Corner Grinder

well done

Post by 2020 »

well done

takes a little to work it out... but it works...
interesting strategies
must rely on teammates

fun

well done
sir
hold the line
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

Thanks for all the feedback!
2+2=5! wrote:My suggestion is this. Try putting the zones back in the center(or not!), and keep the respawns, but have people respawn on the sides. And then allow flag caps anytime. Try it! It could be really fun.
I moved the zones to the side because having them in the center created somewhat of a traffic jam in the middle. The enemy flag is diagnal from your home base now, which spreads out the traffic a bit more.

I agree about the respawns. I did try taking them out, but it got too boring... I did just make a change so that the enemy respawns you if they go in your home base. Hopefully this will make it a bit more dangerous to camp the enemy base.
groundpigs don't fly
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

May I suggest a time limit? If the rounds last more than a few mins the fps drops from over 100 to an unplayable 15fps for me.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Unplayable 15 FPS? When I first played Armagetron I played it on an old machine with software rendering. 25 FPS peaks at the lowest possible settings, but on average probably about 15. And I didn't do all that bad.

(Seems like I'm in a criticizing mood lately.)
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

Fonkay wrote:May I suggest a time limit? If the rounds last more than a few mins the fps drops from over 100 to an unplayable 15fps for me.
That seems to take care of itself though, once the FPS drops too much everyone starts dieing :B)

All jokes aside though, I've heard this happens with any server with respawn enabled. I'll try and look into it. Anyone else heard of this?

EDIT: Should mention the FPS issues go away on new round.
groundpigs don't fly
anjori
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by anjori »

Ah, I was wondering what was causing the FPS drop. At first I thought it was just something getting messed up on my end, until I was playing last night and at least a couple other people mentioned experiencing a huge drop.

Mine went down to around 5-15 FPS, which made the game a bitch to play, but not enough to kill me, and apparently not enough to kill everyone else and end the round, either. The only solution was to leave the server and rejoin. So I would also be in favour of some kind of time limit as a short term solution.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Must be some stale objects; walls and cycles should get destroyed and removed from the game automatically, so my prime suspect would be the zones.

Edit: Looks like the grid datastructure isn't cleaned up properly. The triangular faces seem to be referenced from somewhere and can't be removed. I'll try to find the source.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, the horror. It's the zones. They're kept in a zombie state where they reference a grid face and keep that alive even while it is modified by subsequent grid changes; that also needs to keep all the faces resulting from that change to be kept alive, and basically all subsequent faces that have anything to do with the face the zombie zone sat in. I'll fix that for the next client, but meanwhile, a serverside remedy would be to recycle zones. Don't delete them, just move them out of view, and move them into view again when they should respawn.

The same may be true for the cylces, but the one example of a face that can't be simplified was caused by a zone. I'll continue to investigate.
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

z-man wrote:The same may be true for the cylces, but the one example of a face that can't be simplified was caused by a zone. I'll continue to investigate.
You are absolutely right about the zones. This results from a workaround I made during the shooting days. I found that when the zones were destroyed on the server side, the network updates weren't getting through to the client. The workaround I made was to set the radius to 0 but keep the zone around.

I'll change the CTF code to keep the flag around instead of destroying it when someone picks it up. It looks like the client code won't do anything too nasty if I set the expansion and radius to 0 and keep it at the flag's home location.

The reason I'm confused though is that we never had a big problem with slow downs before, and we had hundreds of zones flying around. The new addition was the respawns... Also the flags don't usually get picked up that often.

I did instrument my client to see when the cycles were destroyed. It looked like they were removed from the game object list, but weren't actually deleted until the end of the round.

One other possibility I had been thinking about was either the cycles or the zones still requesting syncs and the huge network load causing the slow downs. I'm not sure how to take the data to back that up though.

Thanks for looking at it!
groundpigs don't fly
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

the pig wrote:I did instrument my client to see when the cycles were destroyed. It looked like they were removed from the game object list, but weren't actually deleted until the end of the round.
Yeah, that's why they refused to disappear from the minimap in older client versions.
There's no place like ::1