How to improve your game

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Speedracer wrote:Man, as far as I know, I don't have time to think on the grid. Everything is happening so fast that there is only one thing from keeping you from being better. That is, the electrical impulses from your eyes to your brain back to your hands and then back to your brain comfirming the process has been completed. In a matter of nano seconds, your mind has relayed information so detailed, it would take a super computer maybe a nano second more to match. 8)
umm yeah the nanosecond lag (latency) from eys to brain to hands , forget about the 100,000,000 - 300,000,000 nanoseconds to the server ;)
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Latency on the server?! :o
LOL! You must be one with the wall. 8)
Remember, there is no wall... :wink:
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

yes the wall is an illusion created by the server to keep you in check :D
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

A good way to improve your game is to stop other processes if you're running linux. However, be careful, you may stop the wrong one and shut X windows down.

That happened to me tonight. =)
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Marrow wrote:A good way to improve your game is to stop other processes if you're running linux. However, be careful, you may stop the wrong one and shut X windows down.

That happened to me tonight. =)
lol

the magic kill -9

same as it goes for linux, make sure you shut down any resident virus checkers in windws, and like marrow found out things in linux that update databases at the wrong time.
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

Yeah, I was playing and then my harddrive went nuts. :o

Those processes are bad news I tells ya, baaaaad news. :lol:
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

subby wrote:same as it goes for linux, make sure you shut down any resident virus checkers in windws, and like marrow found out things in linux that update databases at the wrong time.
yeah, it's bad enough those cycle-hungry processes are left running, but then when my system decides to do its weekly fullcheckup based on its own inscrutable algorythm... well.... another monitor thrown thru the window. another huge cleanup & repair job. another couple hunnert spent for new monitor...

arma is still an expensive hobby. :(
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

to make yourself invincable eat wile your playing.

Its worked for me forever.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

subby wrote: I think that happens "the zen thing" when you do anything a lot. ITs like changing gears in a car, you don't really think... ohh i should be in 3rd now... you just do it.
Sometimes I just suddenly switch out and don't know what gear I'm in. Maybe the song ended, or maybe something completely unexpected but not dangerous happened on the road.

(heh, didn't mean to startup an old thread or anything, just looking through for tips and stuff I can put on the wiki)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
green_lizard

Post by green_lizard »

I try to be one with the light saber.
I can't breathe...
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Buddhism and blindfold is all crap.

Just try a big blunt if you want to own on arma.

I love Holland.
caffinator
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by caffinator »

hmmm... has anyone here read The Art of War (Sun Tzu)?
The Art of War is a chinese military text, attributed to the general/military advisor Sun Tzu. It's heavily influenced by Taoist thinking, which is why this thread reminded me of it.

For example:
" Generally, in battle, use the common to engage the enemy and the uncommon to gain victory.
Those skilled at uncommon maneuvers are as endless as the heavens and earth, and as inexhaustible as the rivers and seas.
Like the sun and the moon, they set and rise again.
Like the four seasons, they pass and return again.
There are no more than five musical notes, yet the variations in the five notes cannot all be heard.
There are no more than five basic colors, yet the variations in the five colors cannot all be seen.
There are no more than five basic flavors, yet the variations in the five flavors cannot all be tasted.
In battle, there are no more than two types of attacks:
Uncommon and common, yet the variations of the uncommon and common cannot all be comprehended.
The uncommon and the common produce each other, like an endless circle. "

Try replacing "common" and "uncommon" with "offensive" and "defensive" or "left turns" and "right turns", etc. See what I mean?
Similar thread I started on tronstrats.com
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

That is a very interesting idea.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I never could get through the Art of War. Ancient writings are really boring. :)

I did read Clausewitz's On War, though. That's worth a read for sure.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
onearmbandit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by onearmbandit »

For some reason.... i just play the game and don't tent to think about Nirvana or the art of war. Silly me. Oh!