0.3.0 available! (was: 0.3.0_alpha5009)

Help test release candidates for the next release
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

i can verify the sound works on my windows system(loaded an m3u with several mp3s) but it has lots of hissing and cracking, any other music player doesn't.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Try fooling with your buffer.

SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE 4.0 # this is the default

Try making it bigger, like 5.0 or 6.0.

The actual sound buffer size is this number * 512, in samples. Smaller buffers are lower latency and possibly pops and skips and stuff (it doesn't drop samples under high load), larger buffers are higher latency and better overall quality.

Joda and someone else (forgot who, sorry) worked out 4.0 as a good default setting here, but you might find 5.0 or higher being better. It gets saved to user.cfg, so once you're happy with it it should be fine. It's possible that if you installed over an existing installation of the old alpha that this is still set to the really low 0.5, so try it at 4.0 first and see if it changes.

I'll work out a better way to configure this later, don't worry. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

Im testing the alpha5009.
First thing I saw is that HUD options in preferences disappeared and it is really bad for me.
I'll continue the test and then I'll write again.

Ah, another thing. I saw that you talked about the visualization of the micro symbol (µ) in my name. Well, it is not a problem of the beta version, but a problem of some servers. For ex in bugfarm fortress and sumo it was not visalizated in the score, now I tried to put a color code after the micro symbol and it appeared in sumo score, but not in fortress, meantime I can see it in norm's place without problems.
Does it depend to the version runned by the server?
I dont know. I can send some screen shots if necessary.

---------------------------------------------

Found a bug. In the server list the roll of players playing in a server go out to the window, I mean that it doesnt take a new line or the measures are wrong.

Another bug, maybe. I found in the team list of bugfarm fortress 2 team blue and two team gold. Does it have any sense?

System heaviness. Same settings but different HUD (because I cant find HUD options), from 55 fps to 10 fps.

And a very differend ping and big lags with the same firewall settings, from 55 to 250 (jumping), in Bugfarm.

The thing of the server list happens to the HUD too. The HUD informations go out of the window.

A good thing. It seems that the system interprets better the bends, faster I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Rain wrote:Im testing the alpha5009.
First thing I saw is that HUD options in preferences disappeared and it is really bad for me.
I'll continue the test and then I'll write again.
Yes, it disappeared for now. There'll be a way to disable certain gauges with the menu later, but as of right now you either need to make your own cockpit file (or copy and edit an existing one) or Choose one of the existing ones.
Ah, another thing. I saw that you talked about the visualization of the micro symbol (µ) in my name. Well, it is not a problem of the beta version, but a problem of some servers. For ex in bugfarm fortress and sumo it was not visalizated in the score, now I tried to put a color code after the micro symbol and it appeared in sumo score, but not in fortress, meantime I can see it in norm's place without problems.
Does it depend to the version runned by the server?
I dont know. I can send some screen shots if necessary.
Z-man found the bug that was causing it, but due to the way we organize our sources and since it's not a critical bug it was decided not to fix this in 0.3.0, but in 0.2.8.3 and 0.3.1.
That the color code helps on some servers and not on others is simply a result of the fact that some servers (usually team servers) filter out color codes from names to avoid confusion.
Found a bug. In the server list the roll of players playing in a server go out to the window, I mean that it doesnt take a new line or the measures are wrong.
Yeah, I know, I'll have to investigate on that. The weird thing is that the server description, which is in the same text field, doesn't get wrapped...
Another bug, maybe. I found in the team list of bugfarm fortress 2 team blue and two team gold. Does it have any sense?
From what I read in the commit messages joda fixed this for the next alpha/release.
System heaviness. Same settings but different HUD (because I cant find HUD options), from 55 fps to 10 fps.

And a very differend ping and big lags with the same firewall settings, from 55 to 250 (jumping), in Bugfarm.[/qute]Uh, can you give us any information about your graphics card, CPU, RAM etc?
The thing of the server list happens to the HUD too. The HUD informations go out of the window.
Which ones do? Just the "music" thing or something else as well? What resolution are you using?
A good thing. It seems that the system interprets better the bends, faster I think.
bends?
There's no place like ::1
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

well done developers. :D

i like it...
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

connecting to luci's server has a 50 percent chance of killing my computer the crash is so bad it locks up my os(seems like it stalls out trying to sync up and just gobbles up cpu time). also after connecting wierd text bugs i think i may have seen before, posting examples
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iDiot / sPuNkY
Average Program

Post by iDiot / sPuNkY »

I also have synchronization problems when I enter Norm's Place..
...happens like every 5th - 7th time i connect to it...

It says "iDiot enters the game" and then "syncing with server"...
after that nothing happens...

I see that my computer receives data but doesn't send some...
I usualy wait up tp 1 minute.. then i quit armagetron..
After that there is both sided data transfer for like 4-5 seconds...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_moms system freeze, as all total freezes, conveniently get blamed on the operating system/driver combination; nothing an application can do should freeze a computer that bad. The only thing we can do is try to fix the non-fatal problems that we can reproduce and hope the fatal trouble goes away, too.

Debug recordings would be helpful :) Both of Your_mom's strange text problem (really weird) and of Spunky's syncing trouble. Spunky: there is a Windows start menu entry to make a recording, and anoter one to play it back. The recording is a fixed file on your desktop; you'll need to zip it up and attach it here.
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

wrtlprnft,

1) Im running arma on a double processor Intel Celeron 434Mhz, 512MB SDRAM, Matrox Mystique G200 AGP graphic board, winzoz Xp.

2) resolution 1024 x 768, 32 bit
I dont play arma in full screen, but in a 800 x 600 window with 640 x 480 resolution

3) bend - curve - turn ...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'd say it's not a critical problem and can wait :) It should be solvable with a "lowres" special cockpit file. For a regular release, I'd expect it to be fixed. We offer resolutions/window sizes as low as 320x200, the game has to work on those.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@z-man: I can confirm that I got some dead locks in debug mode from 0.3.0 too, but I could not debug the game then. Code::Blocks does not allow me to send commands via gdb, if the game is still running. I probably have to upgrade Code::Blocks and hope they changed that (or make my own gdb session).

To me it only happened after leaving local LAN based games, which I used to test some issues - it occurenced to be random for me. (race condition with another thread ?)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sound is running in another thread. There were some hard to find (especially since they don't show up in a recording) bugs because of that, I suppose a new sound engine would initially have similar problems.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

z-man wrote:Debug recordings would be helpful :) Both of Your_mom's strange text problem (really weird) and of Spunky's syncing trouble.
Recording of text bug

#note i had my custom cockpit file on (posted elsewhere on the forums)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom: thanks.
Wrtlprnft: that is your chat highlighting code. Could you fix it or, if the release manager says there is no time, disable it for now? Edit: the reason you yourself don't see it is because Your_mom is named "7" here :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Oh boy, probably neither is going to happen. He's about to get on a plane and fly back to Germany. I can imagine the problem, though. The color is getting screwed up because Your_mom is using a 7 that's getting interpreted as part of the color string?

I don't think that's a showstopper, but I can wait a day to see what wrtlprnft has to say about it (even though we're technically a day late), seeing as how he's about to fly across an ocean, and you know that's gonna make his arms tired.

Other than that, we're in "release any time" mode, so unless you have a fix for the crash bug (and/or this one), please go back to the trunk for real work. I'll tag soon, probably tomorrow sometime if wrtlprnft manages to post with a fix. Might be saturday when I tag, though.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden