- The tab completion for names now uses the same mechanism as the /msg
command: Nicks are simplified and latin-1 characters mapped to ASCII
ones
- The /msg command now gets correctly recognized by the tab completion:
Spaces in the neme are now replaced by '_'
- The names that are displayed over other cycles now get colored in the
same color as the cycle. Disable this by setting
DISPLAY_COLORED_NAMES_OVER_CYCLES to 0.
Umm, there was more, and of course a couple of bugfixes. MP3 support seems to work in Windows now, although not as well as Ogg Vorbis.
Last edited by Z-Man on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

THe purpose of this alpha is to see if Your_mom's crash has gone away and to sanity check everything else. I think we'll give it a couple of days, and if no serious problems come up, we turn it into 0.3.0 and move on.

Your_mom's crash has been narrowed down to where it's not a deal-breaker for release any more, so this is like a last-ditch effort to fix it before 0.3.0. His crash has come up for other cockpits, but not many.

The other thing is mp3 in Windows. This is to test that and see if it works. There is a problem with it that joda tracked down to at least a point where we can safely say "it's not our problem and we'll deal with it eventually", but it won't be fixed for 0.3.0. The problem is that for mp3s you have to have two things: your output frequency has to match the mp3's frequency, and you can only have 2 output channels. So no surround sound if you want mp3 playback. Also, that means you need to keep sound quality at the highest setting to match output frequencies (assuming your mp3's are 44.1khz, which is a pretty safe assumption). So please, don't whine too much about this situation, it's on my list to deal with already. Check that mp3 support works, if you have problems with it, talk to us so we can help you track them down, but there are problems that will boil down one of these two issues that we can't fix in 0.3.0.

So let's get those two things tested and 0.3.0 out the door, eh? :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

If the camera thing, especially the new glancing, didn't change, I would really do that before turning this into a release... at least I won't use 0.3 for real play because I consider 0.2.8.2 a lot better than 0.3 when it comes to playing and camera. It just isn't usable because it is way too slow...
- bel
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

I agree the free cam in 0.3 is not an improvent for me either.
I use the custom cam in 0.3, I now find this a lot better than the free cam I used in 0.2.8. The extra cockpit features also make 0.3 a lot more usable.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

For the camera, here are the settings that I use (and START_CAM_1 1, but that's a sticky configItem):

Code: Select all

CAMERA_CUSTOM_BACK 20
CAMERA_CUSTOM_RISE 20
CAMERA_CUSTOM_PITCH -1.2
CAMERA_CUSTOM_TURN_SPEED 0
CAMERA_GLANCE_MODE 3
That makes the cam not turn at all by itself, i have to press the glance keys to rotate around my cycle.
There's no place like ::1
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Well, I am talking about smartcam in combination with glancing here... its just not as good as it was before, ie. an it would be a usability downgrade when using 0.3.

The cockpit is nice, and the gauges are nice too but who cares about that if you can't play the game as good as in 0.2.8.2?
- bel
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

belenus wrote:but who cares about that if you can't play the game as good as in 0.2.8.2?
You need to adapt :wink:

Try it out for a couple of hours. Tinker with the settings a bit. You'll be surprised, they actually are better now.
I now find going back to 0.2.8 cam after using 0.3 is a bit like going back to the 0.2.7 cam after playing 0.2.8 for a while.
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

ed wrote:Try it out for a couple of hours. Tinker with the settings a bit.
I tried it out for a couple hours, but as smartcam user, imho, it just sucks now.
- bel
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

belenus wrote:as smartcam user, imho, it just sucks now.
Try the new custom cam. I've always been a smart cam user. The custom cam in 0.2.8 hasn't been to my taste.

But in 0.3 I set the Initial FOV to 120 and it's just right. It seems to slow everything down a bit, give me more time to think about things a little. Is especially useful when mazing, etc.

Maybe it's just my taste. I know a lot of other people who feel the same as you. I felt the same as you before I found a setting that suited me.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Lucifer wrote:THe purpose of this alpha is to see if Your_mom's crash has gone away and to sanity check everything else... Your_mom's crash has been narrowed down to where it's not a deal-breaker for release any more, so this is like a last-ditch effort to fix it before 0.3.0.
Crash is still around. Anyone care to explain whats wrong, or do we not know?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I don't think we know, mom. wrtlprnft committed a fix for it, and apparently he's still trying to track it down.

Anybody test mp3 support in windows yet? Besides joda, that is. He's been working on it pretty hard, it would be nice to know that some of you guys have run it through some hoops. :)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, I've got a "yes" from Vanhayes. Anyone else test mp3 support in windows?

For that matter, how's it running on other platforms?

- Iron Maiden
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Lucifer: If the fix didn't work, what about a debug recording? ;)
There's no place like ::1
iDiot / sPuNkY
Average Program

Post by iDiot / sPuNkY »

just tested alpha5009 and I have no sound in the game...

I do have sound while the intro and I can hear the menu background music...
but when I started a game the only thing i hear is 3...2..1.. and then nothing at all.. (no music and no sound).

I'm using winXP SP1 and a Terratec EWX 24/96 Producer soundcard...

I think the problem could be, that i dont use the standart Windows soundmapper (or direct sound etc...)
I'm using "EWX 24/96 Wave Analog".. but i have no choice...

But i've got no problems with other applications (i also had no problems with 0.2.8.X)...

If you need any more information about my system.. just ask...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sound is to be considered work in progress :) We don't have an engine sound currently, and I think the event sounds (turns and explosions) are not loud enough depending on your camera settings. It'll all get better when we have OpenAL support.

Oh, you have to press the "Next Track" key (bindable in System Setup/Misc Stuff/Global Keyboard Configuration) to hear ingame music.