BUG cries on Bugfarm Fortress and Sumo

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Here is a recording, it was pretty easy to make happen when i wanted.
Attachments
ArmagetronAdvancedDebugRecording.zip
Client crash
(225.88 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
You've gone too far, turn back!
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

er, forget the bug, I know what happened now, i was hitting either the next track key, or previous track key. I have them set to "a" and "f" I must have been hitting them after i sent the message.I think it crashed because I moved my music and sound files from the armaad folder because the sound was annoying.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

A crash is still a crash :) Messing with the game data should give you an error message. What exactly did you do to the data?
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

I made a New folder in the armagetron advanced folder for backups when I screw around with stuff and I put the Music and Sound folders into it. I guess when I pressed next track it had nothing to go to.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hmm, that's what I did too, and it didn't crash. Of course, I was running current code, not one of the alphas any more, and have no active soundcard, so I used the dummy sound driver.
whatup

Spec Mode and entering a new team

Post by whatup »

What I've noticed recently is there a new feature of CVS, probably a noob-safe feature, that causes someone, whenever they enter, to need to join a team. It has come to my attention that there is a slight problem with this.. If, for example, i enter the room when the round has just begun, and i say i want to join a team, and two more people enter, and they both try to join teams, my "spot in line" will be lost, and i will be unable to join a team, and i have to wait for the round after next to start before i can actually join (unless two more people join, etc.) This is probably pretty simple to fix
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's unrelated and easy to fix: instead of joining a specific team, select "create new team". The operation will fail, but you'll be assigned to a random team. 0.2.8.2 and 0.3.1 will have a better name for that menu item. The problem with joining a specific team is that you can't if it is too crowded already, but we also can't just disrespect your wish.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Code: Select all

[0] keenstir core dumped G5 for 2 points.
[15] G5: ????
[15] G5: I died at 4.4 rubber ... :(
[15] G5: BUG
Your turn command came in about .3 seconds after it would have saved you. I can't say how much delay was involved, because you're running an old client that doesn't send the game time of turns.

[7] Kamakazi: BUG BAN THAT GUY
I don't even know who you are talking about.

[5] wrtlprnft |mbc|: BUG wasn't there a changelog entry that this should be fixed? it should put me
[5] wrtlprnft |mbc|: BUG on blue if i am not on a team and wanted to join gold
There was some talk, but no commit, at least not on 0.2.8. If you just want to join any team, choose "create new team", then try to join your favorite team.

[1] KamP: BUG, i was not allowed to join a team when ryu came in though i came in
[1] KamP: before him
Tough luck :) The team was full, I don't care too much who came first. Same as above, choose "create new team". I don't want to touch the code involved with this too much, joda has begun making his changes in the trunk, which makes merging anything pretty much impossible.

[5] Phresh: BUG! I turn to grind a wall, i go for a second and then die
[5] Phresh: i should describe that bug better
[5] Phresh: BUG I turn to grind a wall, i turn again to ride alongside it, i continue for a
[5] Phresh: second then i die where i started to grind
That is the normal behavior everywhere for every crash. Your client does not predict deaths, because mispredictions would be confusing. So it pretends you are alive until told otherwise by the server. Effects vary with your latency.

[3] [fe]belenus: BUG: z-man change the polling back to normal, people are misusing it
Err, which policy and what normal? There is no kick vote near the cry I could use as an abuse example.

[9] CrAy SuPeRcOm: BUG
[9] CrAy SuPeRcOm: cant see zones
That's probably a clientside problem (it was one for earlier clients), I'll need a clientside recoridng.

[10] belenus2: BUG: game 0.2.8.2 crashed on me at round end
Of course, whithout a clientside recording, this one is rather useless :(

On Sumo:

[0] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy was awarded 30 points for conquering crunchums's base.
[0] CT~Voodoo was awarded 30 points for conquering crunchums's base.
[0] CT~Voodoo was awarded 30 points for conquering ~*sp*~oo.k3nny's base.
[11] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy: lol voodoo
[0] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy was eradicated by its collapsing zone.
[11] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy: wtf
[11] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy: BUG
[11] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy: i died though i was the last on my zone
Voodoo was still around. He got the points for conquering your zone. True, he came from another arena, but that doesn't matter.

[2] KamP: BUG z is this test guy your bot?
No :)
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

z-man wrote:

[10] belenus2: BUG: game 0.2.8.2 crashed on me at round end
Of course, whithout a clientside recording, this one is rather useless :(
Well, I know, just wanted to let you know, but a >60 minute long recording of a crash that only happened to me once so far... well aside from that fact that I mostly don't do recordings, especially not with releases.
- bel
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks for the notice. Still, a crash is a crash :) It'd be worth downloading 50Mb for me, the playback time isn't that important, with --fastforward, it usually is bearable. So if you were recording at that time and it's worth the upload for you, I'd still like to see it.
wd-40
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by wd-40 »

z-man. I cried out BUG tonight, hope this is what you were looking for. I posted about this in an earlier thread located here http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=4931 I think the time was around 7:20PM CST (-6 GMT)

I'm pretty sure I pressed all the correct keys, and I am hoping it's the bug you think it is. It could just be lag, but I hope not. Anywho....just wanted to let you know, so please check it out and send me a PM with your findings.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I haven't played it back yet, but the amazed comments indicate there's something up. Thanks.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Good news, the glitch was only clientside (where it has been fixed by now and will be in 0.3.1 and 0.2.8.3). The server reported your death position correctly at the spot you hit the wall, and that's where your explosion should have happened, but I've got a turn command from the client from about four meters behind the wall.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

[15] Vanhayes: BUG --- --- shows up as Player 1
Ah, another false clientside filtering bug. Should be fixed for 0.2.8.3 and 0.3.0.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Fun :) Yesterday, there were three teams around. One old team gold that just was in the process of getting deleted got resurrected by an explicit player join wish. The extra team wasn't dismantled because the three teams had the same player count. Two bugs for the price of one :)

/me notes that these bugs affect all teamplay setting variations, but would nave never been found had I not enable the "must join team manually" policy. So no matter how inconvenient that is for the regulars (I ignored some BUG cries about that), it helped to catch real bugs, which, by definition, makes it a good setting.