0.3.0_alpha4941: Bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.3.0_alpha4941: Bugs

Post by Z-Man »

The build is currently in process and should be available on aabeta in a couple of hours. We haven't yet fixed all problems, but some fatal ones. There should be a bit less problems with sound, for example. No changes were made to the camera.

For the Windows users who experienced cracky sound with the last alpha, that can be corrected with a setting in the console. Activate the console (default key is the one below esc) and enter
SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE 4
then exit and reenter the game again. You'll need to do that whether you're using the new alpha or the old one. Users who skipped tha last alpha shouldn't have this problem.

Known bugs:
The ingame music doesn't start automatically, you have to press the "Play" button.
Still no MP3 support in Windows.

If you're wondering what the strange number after _alpha is, that's the Subversion revision number. On every source change anywhere, it gets increased by one. It is a better progress meter than the dates we're using in the 0.2.8 series. But beware: the last alpha was 4872, so there were 69 changes since then. Most of them in different parts of the project that don't influence 0.3.0 directly, though.
Last edited by Z-Man on Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The build is up: http://beta.armagetronad.net/?product=client&branch=0.3

There is no new RPM this time.
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Downloaded it, compiled it, installed it, tried it, noticed that the camera (as was mentioned) and glancing still sucks (way too slow, 0.2.8.2 is perfect, change it back!!!) and the fonts are still too large and reinstalled 0.2.8.2...

..waiting for something worth a new test.
Last edited by belenus on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- bel
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

FONT_SIZE_FACTOR 0.7
There's no place like ::1
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

wrtlprnft wrote:FONT_SIZE_FACTOR 0.7
Well where do I enter that? In the console during a game? Will it be saved or do I have to enter it everytime I restart the game? Or in the .armagetronad/*.conf file? I know its still development, but...

...what would really be cool (and really needed if the font stays that large by default) is a menu where you can change the font size under misc options or graphics stuff.

If it would just be the font I could live with it, but unless the camera stuff gets changed, at least for me, its not really playable.
- bel
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

How about we find out if it's still crashing for the windows users that were experiencing crashes? That's why there's another alpha instead of 0.3.0 final...

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

belenus wrote:
wrtlprnft wrote:FONT_SIZE_FACTOR 0.7
Well where do I enter that? In the console during a game? Will it be saved or do I have to enter it everytime I restart the game? Or in the .armagetronad/*.conf file? I know its still development, but...
It'll be saved, so just enter it on the console.
...what would really be cool (and really needed if the font stays that large by default) is a menu where you can change the font size under misc options or graphics stuff.
The default isn't very big at all on my screen, it just looks like it has different sizes on different graphic cards :(
And since the font selection stuff will change anyways (I plan to have a resource format where you can specify different fonts for different things, eg console and menu) I'm reluctant to add another menu item.
Ghableska
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Ghableska »

The tab name filler doesn't work if the first letter you type is capitalized.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, the default font size is slightly too large. My not really so long bugfarm MOTD doesn't fit on the screen :) It does when viewed from the 0.2.8 branch. Maybe we should make .7 or .6 the new default? Is it just me or does changing the font size not properly affect the line separation?

About the camera, I can only repeat what has already been said: Making a development release fun for everyone is not the goal of it. We'll have some solution to bring back the "classic" camera later, but right now, we're experimenting and will be happy if some people like the new behavior.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Ghableska wrote:The tab name filler doesn't work if the first letter you type is capitalized.
That was a bug, thanks. Fixed.
Maybe we should make .7 or .6 the new default?
Sure we can... I guess it's better with the armagetronad font (I use the font.ttf font, it is way too small with .6)
Is it just me or does changing the font size not properly affect the line separation?
It doesn't affect the line separation at all. The only reason there ever was a factor in the rendering code is that the old font had lots and lots of whitespace on the top and bottom while the new one doesn't, so the factor was originally there to fix line separation.
Shall I add another factor for total font height? Keep in mind that I'm planning for font resources anyways, they would have a per- font setting.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

My feeling is that we should not bother too much with temporary hacks. If the font resource will fix it later, that's fine by me.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Your_mom reports that his crash seems to be caused by his cockpit file. Hopefully he'll post it soon and wrtlprnft can investigate. Using other cockpits, though, and his crash goes away.

Last call for crashing bugs. :) If there aren't any new ones reported, I think we can release the latest revision as 0.3.0 on/before the weekend.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

COCKPIT_FILE Your_mom/rawr-0.0.3.aacockpit.xml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Vanhayes has this yet to be tracked messing-with-data related crash over in the BUG cries thread. Eventually, this will have to be fixed, but I'd say it is not top priority for 0.3.0. He deleted all the sound files to disable sound :) The menu entry for that works now.
Ghableska
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Ghableska »

I also noticed that when names have special characters in the front, they show up in chats, but not in the labels above the cycle or in the score table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.