0.3.0_alpha4872: Bugs (no Release process :) )

Help test release candidates for the next release
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Lucifer wrote:Heh, that overlap doesn't happen if you use English.
If you support languages, displaying ALL languages without overlaps should be supported too or (imho) that language should be removed.

Ahh and, PLEASE get back to the old font size or make it an option somewhere or make a post and write down how I can change it back myself.
- bel
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

For a stable release, I totally agree on the overlapping thing. And there are probably folks here who disagree with me on what's expected for a development release. You might be one of them. :)

For font size, I don't know for sure what can be done now. There was a setting for a little while that took you back to the old font, and there appears to be settings to handle resizing the font. wrtlprnft will have to chime in on it, it's his work. All's I know for sure about it is that the way it's handled right now is completely different from how we want it to be handled, so what you see is a transitional step. But it's a pretty big job getting eerything pulled out where we can do what we want with it, and that's ongoing work that will be done eventually.

There's also two settings of note for you. If you want to try a different font that might work better for you at this size, you can do font_file_custom with an absolte path to a font and use_font_custom 1 to use it.

There's probably not going to be a way to get back the old font perfectly without just supporting it directly forever (which I don't know if we're willing to do it). Part of the change to ttf involves the font changing a bit in a few subtle ways, it's just the nature of the difference. For the Armagetronad.ttf font, I think we're trying to minimize bad changes and maximize good changes. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
xevic
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by xevic »

in spanish happens 2 :P
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

the new icon needs improvement. Turning on a high rim results in graphical glitches. and the screen resolution i was using in 2.8.1 is gone. also when i went to change it, it was set to 3## x 2## when on screen it obviusly wasn't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Okok, lot's of things (hope I don't forget any):

The different languages and overlap, yes that is a problem, although I'd like to ignore it for now. I want the score table to become a real table anyways, that would mean that the coloumns would get their width from the widest cell, that would eliminate that problem.
There was actually a setting FONT_SIZE, but it seems to have disappeared... maybe i forgot to commit it. Oops. Will be there for the next 0.3 release.
Also try different font files. Any .TTF will work. For a start, type FONT_FILE font.ttf to get a new non- proportional font.

I think the camera needs some explanation. The most important thing is that glances are now relative to the direction the camera is facing, so if you just glanced right you need to press glance back to look left.
There'll probably a setting soon that restores something closer to the original behaviour, but it will still be a bit different.

If you don't like some gauges you have three options:
  • Type COCKPIT_FILE wrtlprnft/classic-0.0.1.aacockpit.xml on the console to get something relatively close to the old cockpit. It's not default and won't be default since we want people to test the new things.
  • Read the Cockpit Tutorial to learn how to make your totally customized cockpit with all kinds of gauges
  • Play PsYkO and keep whining about every change ;)
Could some OpenGL dude look at Your_mom's screenshot? I have no clue what's happening.
There's no place like ::1
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

also: for some reason camera_glance_angular_velocity does control the speed the camera looks away, but it doesnt affect the speed it has turning back to 'normal mode' is there some option which can change that?
MaZuffeR
Core Dumper

Post by MaZuffeR »

If I have the sound quality on high the game only makes some weird sound that sounds like "space" music from a bad SciFi movie. All the other sound qualities work. And all the sounds crackle (I don't know if that's the right word) and the music too.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Lackadaisical wrote:also: for some reason camera_glance_angular_velocity does control the speed the camera looks away, but it doesnt affect the speed it has turning back to 'normal mode' is there some option which can change that?
Known issue. After the glance is released the camera is instantly released to normal mode, which for the smartcam means that it will slowly turn back. The workaround right now is to glance back into the direction you want the camera to be.
There's no place like ::1
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

(in windows)in a local game "leave grid" closes the program instead of going back to the main menu. screen resolution seems to be adjusting itself at will, each time i restart its some random resolution . the two problems may be related.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Your_mom: that sounds like a crash. The resolution thing you're experiencing is part of how the game tries to recover from a crash, since it doesn't know if the crash was a video card problem or not. Can you try to lock it down under what circumstances it happens?

Further, this crash sounds like a crash we had previously that was fixed, it was something in the ai code somewhere, iirc. Can whoever fixed that crash take a minute to look at the alpha sources and see if maybe your fix got clobbered? My gut tells me that's what happened. That crash also happened when leaving a server while playing against an AI.

So, if it's an intermittent crash, I'm willing to go on and release 0.3.0 in a couple of days. If it's every time, but only on leaving local game, I'm willing to release anyway but could be persuaded to wait until it's fixed. If it's more serious than that, we should fix it for 0.3.0 obviously. This is the only bug found in the alpha so far that I think might call for more work before 0.3.0.

wrtlprnft has already fixed a few bugs reported here, and I think we should go ahead and choose a later revision off the trunk (possibly the latest) for 0.3.0 because he's done stuff to deal with some of the annoyance factor reported here (font size) and there was actually a fairly serious bug in the cockpit that made mercam unusable. It wasn't noticed, I guess, until the standard cockpit was different for incam than for other cams. :) Of course, going with the later version depends on whether or not other potentially breaking changes happened too. So, this is important so I'll put it in bold, is there anybody waiting until after 0.3.0 to tear up the trunk? Besides me, that is. :)

In any case, I'd like to ride this alpha another couple of days anyway and see what else comes up. :)

Some things to try:

Try different fonts! That's for sure. We keep saying it's ttf support, but we actually have support for adobe's postscript fonts too, and some bitmap fonts. Check FTGL's website to see a complete list, we support everything they support.

Try making a cockpit! There's a tutorial on the wiki for it.

Playlists are important. If you listen to music while you play, bind the media player keys (it's in global keybinds) and make a playlist.

I'll put together a more comprehensive try-me list on the wiki for 0.3.0 final, but let's keep in mind this starts the development series, and while we're interested in wider and longer testing, we're also interested in serious feedback. This is your chance to tell us what we're doing wrong and what we could be doing right! If you like to extend the game (previously only moviepacks were the way to do it), then please do so and tell us what else you need to make it the way you want it. If you wait until Bacchus's first beta to tell us you really need <insert favorite feature here>, it'll be too late. Now's your chance to really help us improve the game, and we're not taking "I can't program" as an excuse anymore. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

@luci"every time i leave a local game it crashes ...its not sometimes its all the time... hmm i turned off bots in local game and i actually got a crash pop up...after trying to leave that is...on a server with players no crash...server with bots no crash"

"Hitting the {bound} play button after creating and placing {ex.} C:\blah.m3u into the proper prompt the game crashes"

whats with the tilted view when grinding, can i disable that... after playing for a while it gets annoying

could someone post their camera settings if you get anything decent
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom: Do you have Performance Tweaks/Z-Trick enabled? That would explain the high/low rim difference, Z-Trick only gets active with a high rim. And doesn't work for most people. We'll disable it sometime.

I'll have a look at the game exit crash, but the one I previously fixed was when you leave a network game with bots in it, not a local game.

Wrtl: yes, a proper table would be the way to go. We can't rely on fudge factors if we allow people to use custom fonts.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

z-man wrote:Your_mom: Do you have Performance Tweaks/Z-Trick enabled? That would explain the high/low rim difference, Z-Trick only gets active with a high rim. And doesn't work for most people. We'll disable it sometime.
that fixed it.

auto incam is broken, i found that out when fiddling with camera settings it goes to switch views then freaks out and changes its mind
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

thought i'ld post a pic of how i have it set up so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@lucifer: off topic, but I'm going to change the team management code sometime soon. New topic for 0.3.0 code discussion ?