Help test release candidates for the next release
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

z-man wrote:Nemo: Maybe it's time to update this bug?
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=657948
Yea, it can be closed. I don't have privileges to admin the tracker, can one of the administrators change that?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sure, both done. You can't assign unassigned bugs to yourself if you're not admin? Because I think you can definitely mark them as closed once they're assigned to you.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

German Bug Report for Windows 98 wrote: Danke für Dein Interesse an meinem Problem!
Zu dem neuen look von Armagetron kann ich eigentlich nur gratulieren, es entwickelt sich ein atmosphärisches Gameplay und die zusätzlich einfügbare Wände und Modi sind eine neue Herausforderung und steigern die Spiellust.

Nun zu den Problemen:
Zum einten hatte ich direkt nach der Installation das Problem dass mein Betriebssystem jedesmal wenn ich auf Tron Online ging vollkommen abstürzte. Es geschah auch als ich meine Firewall deaktivierte. Das Problem verschwand jedoch nachdem ich meinen Computer ein paar mal neu gestartet habe. Als ich das erste mal online ging hatte ich eine fehlerfreie Übersicht auf alle Server die mir die Liste bot, doch als ich mich am nächsten Tag wieder einloggte war das schon vorbei. Anstatt die Server korrekt anzuzeigen sah ich nur "Testen" neben dem Servernamen. Es wurde keine Spieleranzahl und keine Pingrate mehr angezeigt, ausserdem waren es längst nicht mehr soviele Server wie das erste Mal. Das betreten eines Servers funktionierte problemlos. Als ich dann etwas zu schreiben versuchte funktionierte die "Chat-Taste" nicht, auch wenn ich sie neu definierte. Wollte ich während dem Spiel mit der Maus um mich schauen blieb die Kamera im zuletzt ausgewähltem Winkel hängen nachdem ich aufhörte zu rotieren. Dies änderte sich bis Neustart des Matches nicht. Die "alten" Bugs traf ich wieder vereinzelt an und ich beobachtete dass es immens mehr laggte.

Zu Deinen Punkten:
- Ich benutze Windows 98
- Ich lud mir Version 0.2.8.2 runter
- Positive wie negative Kritik siehe oben °_°
I'll provide a translation if requested I'm in contact with the bug reporter via email. He reports:

- installation works
- trying to go online (see server list) results in system crash on (Windows 98) (happend multiple times also happened with deaktivated firewall). - After a "few" restarts the game showed the list with all servers.
- The server list was broken the next day (missing servers).
- The server list did only show the word "testen" next to a server entry and no ping or player count.
- While playing the chat key did not work, even after redefining it.
- Controlling the camera with the mouse also led to the camera being locked at a certain angles (after stoping to rotate the camera).
only match restart fixed the camera (probably he meant round?)
- Old bugs did still happen and lag was also present

I'll try to get a more detailed list of "old bugs" ... but we should probably get some Windows 98 users to test the game, and try to either identify unfixable problems which drop Windows 98 support or fix the issues.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Methinks some of the new things need some documentation beyond just stating in the NEWS file that they're there (this isn't entirely limited to 0.2.8.2). For example...

How does one add a reason to a kick or ban?
How does this chat and console history thing work?
What exactly does this mean: added player join/leave/rename messages to ladderlog.txt with IPs?
What is this brake toggle thing? (I remember it being bandied about, but not what was settled, especially in layman's terms.)

There are others, but those are a few from the current changes/additions that I was wondering about. Thanks in advance.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Phytotron wrote:How does one add a reason to a kick or ban?
Just put your reason after the kick or BAN command: KICK 5 <insert reason here>
How does this chat and console history thing work?
Say something, press your chat key again, and press arrow up/down
What exactly does this mean: added player join/leave/rename messages to ladderlog.txt with IPs?
That's ladderlog.txt in your var dir, it contains more information now. Stats scripts could use that info.
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Joda: The total crashes aren't our fault. Applications can't crash the whole system. That's always the fault of the OS or the drivers. It could be that by now, drivers for Win98 are getting a bit flaky, but a driver update may help anyway.

The increasing lag may be a problem caused by an overclocked motherboard. Sometimes, the RTC is tied to the system clock...

The camera thing may be the setting item "Center internal camera" from the camera settings menu, looks like it is "off" and should be "on".

For the other problems, I need recordings.

Phytotron: the brake toggle is a new keybinding. Press it once and your brake gets activated, press it a second time and it gets deactivated.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

z-man wrote:Phytotron: the brake toggle is a new keybinding. Press it once and your brake gets activated, press it a second time and it gets deactivated.
So it's like /me binds brake to caps lock?

And thanks for answering a few of my questions, but the main point was that I think descriptions of new and changed things should be obviously documented somewhere. Not just stating that the thing is, but what it is. A simple block of text would save a lot of people, including yourself, from having to repeatedly point them out or answer questions about them. :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Heh, perhaps NEWS should just be made that extra bit of more verbose for these little things that can be answered in one sentence, and with pointers to the full docs where this isn't possible?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Right. Full docs.

Umm, anybody know where we're at for getting the docs from the wiki? I remember we were talking about it the other day, but no idea where it went.

I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to say "make docs" and have it get the docs from the wiki and make them. Even nicer to have it committed to svn, so that you don't have to have internet to build the docs (so a cached copy, essentially, generally not good SCM practice!). Best would be to give the manual thusly generated to the quality assurance team to read and make sure it didn't get wiki-spammed right before being generated. And then we can tell people who say the docs are incomplete that the docs come from the wiki, which is very promiscuous about editing privileges.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden