0.2.8.0_rc1: Release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Nemo: Aww, crap. Try to remove eDisplay.cpp from the build, apparently it got kicked out by the linker on Linux and I did not notice the problem. It does not seem to contain a single thing except the config item on the dedicated server.
Strange, the windows server should be affected by this, too, and I think I tested it yesterday.
Edit: Must have tested the wrong version :( I'll delete the builds.
Edit2: Done finally. SF was unusable the last hours. I'll leave the Windows dedicated server builds nonexistent the next days, maybe more critical bugs crop up and we have to do new builds anyway. If that's not required, I'll just rebuild it with updated project files and pull the "Of course it's still rc1, the sources were unchanged" card.

I'll push Klax's builds to SF tomorrow from work when I have more bandwidth available.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Here's a quick and easy (and relatively insignificant) fix for you. I tried to connect to an unreachable server, got the subsequent message, and noticed this:

"...or you mistyped it's name in the 'custom connect' menu."

its* :)

Oh, and actually, now that I see that, it brings up that fact that there's no longer a "custom connect" menu. Might want to reword that whole phrase, eh.

Edit: By the way, I'm using beta 4, but I assume this is the kind of thing that has been carried over from one version to the next, probably for some time.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks. That's the type of nitpicking we need, well spotted :) And yes, it's been carried around since the dawn of time.
And there still is a custom connect menu. We re-added it because it was too much work for tank to edit a bookmark every time he wanted to custom connect :)

Edit: Ubuntu packages added to SourceForge.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I downloaded the gcc for windoze. And while installing it made 3 shortcuts on my desktop. None of which can be removed by simply deleting them.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Nemo: I added the two TESTED files on SF, I'll wait with the third until there is positive feedback. Silly is our tester for this, right?

Fonkay: Sorry :( This may be related to my change that the installer now tries to install the desktop entry and start menu for all users. Did the start menu work? If yes, I'll just install the icon for the person doing the installation. It's awfully embarassing sometimes anyway whenever I install something and my GF gets a new icon on her desktop...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

AABeta is back and I put the builds up there.

Klax and Luke: there was no example of a ubuntu build in releases.php. I chose 'os' => 'Ubuntu' and
'arch' => '(Independent)' for the common package (x86_32/64 for the executables, of course.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:AABeta is back and I put the builds up there.
A few suggested changes to make if they make sense:
- Set obsolete flag on all listings older than rc1 that are discontinued (Win/VC8, etc)
- Label x86_32/Independent correctly-- it looks like they're backwards.
z-man wrote:Klax and Luke: there was no example of a ubuntu build in releases.php.
IIRC, that's because the 'independent' packages have never been the same for both x86_32 and x86_64 from what I've seen-- I don't understand why they're different, but they seem to be.
z-man wrote: I chose 'os' => 'Ubuntu'
Sounds good.
z-man wrote:and 'arch' => '(Independent)' for the common package (x86_32/64 for the executables, of course.
Not sure the proper way to implement this. We'd want it to show up if the user filters for a specific arch... Perhaps a blank field? That's what sources use right now, and they're independant-- I'll just update the filtering code to handle it properly.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Luke-Jr wrote:- Set obsolete flag on all listings older than rc1 that are discontinued (Win/VC8, etc)
Good idea, I did this for everything from the 0.2.8 branch where newer builds are available.
Luke-Jr wrote:- Label x86_32/Independent correctly-- it looks like they're backwards.
Right, and the server flag was wrong, too. Corrected.

I'll leave the policy for the common package up to you. Another challange: they are common to both the server and the client, so "server" is neither true nor false. Perhaps we should just give the file multiple entries? I trust Klax made it so that indeed, the one file works for everyone.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

z-man wrote:I trust Klax made it so that indeed, the one file works for everyone.
Yep, the file is the same in both architectures (when buliding i386 and amd64 there is a difference of 1 byte in the weight of the file, don't know why lol)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, downloaded it for 10.2.8 about 10 minutes ago, and already have something to report. With alpha blending turned off, text in the server list and in-game console is unreadable—it's just bars of color. Menus are fine. I've attached a screenshot and a recording. You'll see in the recording that I just bookmark connected to Shrunkland both time (with alpha blending off and on), rather than using the server list, but I assume whatever is causing it in the console is the same for the server list.

Edit: I also noticed that there were no colored names of servers in the server list, as there were under beta_4. I don't know whether that's intentional or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

By the way, was this new smartcam introduced between beta_4 and this version? (I never used 4.2, not sure if there was one for me.) Oy, I don't like it. It made me nauseous.

So, because of the alpha blending thing, and because of this smartcam thing, I think I'll stay with beta_4 for the meantime, at least until the alpha blending text thing is fixed, because my framerate drops off too much to play with it turned on.

Oh, was it proper that all my settings were automatically loaded into rc1 when I launched it?
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@osc: I'd like download that movie pack :P
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

This is probably why your font is white:
wrtlprnft wrote:Another change I made was that I changed all the shades of gray that were in use for antialiasing into alpha transperency... sometimes if a white font appeared over a white area (like the rim wall with textures disabled) you could see little gray spots.

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 0111#40111
Which way is correct depends on alpha blending. BTW, this is another case where color pre*= alpha would help (without blending you'd see the texture as it was intended on a black background, and with blending there are no interpolation problems).
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:- Set obsolete flag on all listings older than rc1 that are discontinued (Win/VC8, etc)
Good idea, I did this for everything from the 0.2.8 branch where newer builds are available.
Err, anything that has a newer build is automatically flagged, you don't need to manually specify it... It's just the discontinued stuff that needs a manual flagging.
z-man wrote:I'll leave the policy for the common package up to you.
Ok, then: for such packages, do not specify 'arch' ;)
z-man wrote:Another challange: they are common to both the server and the client, so "server" is neither true nor false.
*stabs Klax* why can't you just make monolithic builds? =p
z-man wrote:Perhaps we should just give the file multiple entries?
Then it would show up twice when listing both products. I'll reimplement the product stuff like it should be, as non-boolean.
z-man wrote:I trust Klax made it so that indeed, the one file works for everyone.
Perhaps, but that didn't help me make the decision of which file to keep on aabeta, so I asked the question (which went unanswered, IIRC) and left it alone ;)