LIGHT CITY v0.4 MoviePack by simcosmos

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

LIGHT CITY v0.4 MoviePack by simcosmos

Post by simcosmos »

Greetings progra... er… fellow Armagetron players 8)

As promised ( http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1065 ) here it is my first contribution for Armagetron game:

Edit Jan 2014:
- attention: simcosmos v1 website's main contents are offline (including dedicated armagetron section)
- I have kept the main site url and updated the download link for the v0.4 zip

Edit Sep03 2004: first version was v0.1. Current is v0.4
Edit Jan13 2006: links corrections...

LIGHT CITY v0.4

Download Link:
(v0.1 removed... current is v0.4 ;) )

LIGHTCITYv0.4.zip (4.71MB)

More pics at SIMCOSMOS >> +Sims/games >> Armagetron Sub-Section direct link

I hope that all is well packaged but if you have any problem please tell me so that I can fix it, ok?

Also included one .pdf inside the moviepack folder: if you survive to my clumsy English you will find there lots of info about LIGHT CITY v0.4 :lol:

Like I wrote there, this is still work in progress(?) (and I want also to ask some moviepack development related questions) but even with the files in the current state I think that you will perhaps like LIGHT CITY v0.4!

Vruuuuummmmmmm!

António
Last edited by simcosmos on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
I love to fly, low and slow but when I look at the night sky
my heart goes wild fast... and wild!

simcosmos @ flickr
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

nice! i really do like the intro sound :).
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

the two screenshots look great! really nice intro post, too. :)

i will be checking this out before long,,,, thanks!
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by simcosmos »

Hi

XLR8Chaos Beta from LadyX is a wonderful moviepack and gave me some ideas… Just by playing with a line in the moviepack\settings.cfg (GRID_SIZE_MOVIEPACK 99) the floor.png texture is applied to the grid in a different way: it is extended in a larger area and the result is something like this (thx Mons)

I’m now playing with the floor and with the sky too :-)

António
Attachments
Playing with the floor settings...
Playing with the floor settings...

simcosmos @ flickr
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

nice...
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by simcosmos »

Hi

I will soon release v0.4 of my moviepack

The original post was edited (v0.1 download link deleted, picture and thread's title replaced): as soon as v0.4 is online I will *bump* the present thread again. (Still need to end the new pdf and zip the files)

While the forum was down (glad it is up again!) I did a quick temporary page about LIGHT CITY in my website:

http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt >> +Sims/Games (left menu)

You will find there some pictures that show the new v0.4 floor and sky textures ;)

António

simcosmos @ flickr
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

simcosmos wrote:LIGHT CITY in my website:

The website wrote: Best viewed with:
MSIE6, 1024x768
(plz enable javascript)
Ahem. Where do I find this miraculous MSIE6 software that makes websites look so good? And what is this mysterious javascript thingeee? Does it run in Linux? Is it safe to run? Will it infect my computer with those virus thingeees I keep hearing about? I don't know....it's just a website, there are others....
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by simcosmos »

Lucifer wrote:
simcosmos wrote:LIGHT CITY in my website:

The website wrote: Best viewed with:
MSIE6, 1024x768
(plz enable javascript)
Ahem. Where do I find this miraculous MSIE6 software that makes websites look so good? And what is this mysterious javascript thingeee? Does it run in Linux? Is it safe to run? Will it infect my computer with those virus thingeees I keep hearing about? I don't know....it's just a website, there are others....
Ho well… This will be off topic…

I placed that msg in the intro page of my site not with the intuit of promoting the miraculous MSIE6 over all browsers! In fact I placed that there for several and different reasons…

1. Users utilizing Opera web browser seem to have some display/navegation problems with my site…

2. Those problems are perhaps related with the way my site is coded…

3. The way my site is coded is a result of what I learned in my free times and a result of the site's interface I would like to develop… yes, some people do not like frames and javascripts. I respect it as I hope other peoples respect my design choices, capabilities and limitations.

4. The javascripts I use are: a simple one to load two pages at the same time in different frames, the javascript for the chat window and the one for the counter (I think that I’m not forgetting any). If you want I can publish the code so you can see that there are not any hidden malicious intentions… The rest of the site is just composed by frames, simple html and style sheet

5. Returning to browsers issue and operative systems: I sometimes visit my site with an older version of Netscape and using Unix. I know that I still need to resolve some display issues but the site works well. I do plan to install a newer version of Netscape to see more frequently how my site looks like with other browser than MSI6 (most of my visitors use MSI5-6 or Netscape4-7). I do know that Armagetron community uses other operative systems and browsers: sorry if I offended your feelings!

6. But until I install Netscape (and no, I will not install more browsers) and although I do realize that the message you inserted in the quote seems amateur and perhaps bad taste for some html purists I decided to post it anyway, again, not as an “MSI6 rules and is the most powerful magic in the Universe” but instead as an “I’m sorry, but I have limitations for what I can do managing/building websites and, at least while that msg is online, I can only guarantee that you will see exactly what I see here if you use MSI6”

7. And yes, I also know that rules and standards for html editing exist but I have to choose: do I spend more time learning how to do one site that looks wonderful in every system and browser available and do all by the books or do I make what I know and spend other time developing addons and, yes, playing (forgetting for a moment issues from real life)? As you can see I prefer the second option. All a matter of choices...

8. Last: yes, it is just a website and there are many others around: if you want to visit my site, be my guest; if you do not want to visit it, be my guest also. I will upload in the original post of this thread the direct download link for LIGHT CITY v0.4: you do not need to visit my site if you feel uncomfortable doing it. (this supposing that you would like to play with LIGHT CITY)

9. English is not my mother language: I spend some time writing posts… more time than an English speaker… time I could have used today to finish, zip and upload LIGHT CITYv0.4… not sure if it will happen today… not sure if it will happen tomorrow due to time constraints...

10. I’m here just to have fun and contribute in what I can for the community!

António

simcosmos @ flickr
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by simcosmos »

small *bump*

LIGHT CITY v0.4 is online

(please see original post for download link)

Iceman: if you have free space in your site and wish / have free time to mirror LIGHT CITYv0.4 there it is all ok by my side :)

With v0.4 I end the ALPHA Phase.

If I decide to do upgrades and enter in BETA work my main objective will be to build a custom model for the cycle (but still based on TRON movie)

I found some interesting links about .ASE tools (not dependent of a specific 3D editor): would like to share/talk with anyone interested about this in a later occasion (will write a post related with this issue here: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1074

Meanwhile I hope people have fun with this LIGHT CITY version :)

(Please read the “simcosmos LIGHT CITY v0.4.pdf” included inside the moviepack folder)

Happy Online Sessions!

António

Edit: link correction because of forum's url change
Last edited by simcosmos on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

simcosmos @ flickr
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Great work... Absolute quality :).
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

WOW. This moviepack is superb!!! All of you must try it.

The sounds, the floor, the walls, the .... all!! This is now my default moviepack.

Thanks simcosmos for your work!!! It seems to me that I am playing almost a new game ;)
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

I also wanted to praise you on the very nice movie pack you gave us.

More than everything, the sample you took for the intro music is very spacy, set a good ambiance. But I feel it would serve better your pack should it be played with the splashscreen and during the pre-game menus. That would be wicked! (Very neat)

But overall, a very nice movie pack you gave us there. Thanks

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by simcosmos »

Hello all

Thanks for the good words about my work with LIGHT CITY: I’m really happy you liked it :D

About the introduction sound: I did 3 samples and in the end decided to include the current one because it was:
a) good to create an ambience before entering in the arena
b) short enough in terms of duration / size

One of the other options for the introductory sound was… the beautiful music from the movie… perhaps recorded from a midi file to save a little in the filesize.

However I have a doubt:

As far as I understand, the intro sound only plays when we enter in an arena. Am I right or wrong about this?

Developing the question: is it possible to assign a sound that plays immediately when we start running Armagetron, continues to play while browsing the menus and stops as soon as we choose an arena giving then place to the intro.wav?

António

PS:
I’m planning two more posts for the dev section of this forum

a) in http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1074 about .ase tools (creating 3D models for Armagetron):

b) philippeqc, you will like this one: also thinking to write in the multishaped arenas thread - http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1086 - but I need a little more time for making some pictures and prepare the text… probably I will not write anything new… :roll:

Edit: links corrections because of forum's url change
Last edited by simcosmos on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simcosmos @ flickr
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

im gonna add this one to my moviepack page, great work matey
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
simcosmos
On Lightcycle Grid

re: LIGHT CITY Moviepack + simcosmos site's links updates

Post by simcosmos »

*bump*

Hello all

Small bump just to inform about:

a) The download link for my Light City addon has been updated (see original post).

The older link will still remain active for a few more time but it will be offline on a given future moment: just giving an heads up here

b) Some related links available on previous posts were updated (due to change on forum's url)

c) Last but not least, just in case someone has not noticed it yet, from some time now (June 2005) that I have a few pages on my site dedicated to Armagetron / Tron. Those pages were also updated very recently (fixed a few broken links + added a few stuff about Team Fortress).

If someone wishes to read those pages:

c.1) go to my site – http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt - and then please click:
----> on Armagetron or + Sim|Games (left menu)
----------> and finally on Armagetron (section's top menu)

c.2) or... just click here to directly enter on my site's Arma sub-section.

Edit, Jan 1024: please see first post (arma section offline)

And I think it is all,

Have Fun,
António

simcosmos @ flickr