Twilight Zone I

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Twilight Zone I

Post by Majination »

Every so often while playing the game I seem to lose contact with the server, as it looks as though my machine doesn't receive any updated information on where the other cycles have been turning. From my point of view everyone's cycles drive in a straight line, continuing out of the grid and into infinity. If I wait long enough the game sometimes snaps back and looks normal, but it often results in a lost connection leaving me having to reconnect and with 0 points. The curious thing is that when this twilight zone effect happens and everybody starts driving off into the distance I can force an update by pressing the escape key.

Has anybody else experienced this happening to them?

It happened to me yesterday, and the game didn't snap back into reality until I was in the next round and had already died (I didn't see the crash but saw the message). The funny thing was that my client didn't know it was dead, so I was able to drive around through peoples walls, out of the grid, come back in again, whatever. Unfortunately, my bike wasn't visible to anybody else. I did get some screen captures, though. I'll put them online it a bit in case anyone is interested.
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I kno what you are talking about, I've seen this happen on a lot of servers. I have no idea what causes, but it is probably lost UDP packets... I have never noticed that you could "force an update" with the escape key. Next time it happens I'll try that. Usually for me though, everything does snab back into place...
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

just wanted to say i've experienced this as well & i'll try the esc key too (never done that before). i always get disconnected when it happens
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »