Grid ala Labyrinth possible?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
iF
GLL Admin

Grid ala Labyrinth possible?

Post by iF »

Hi.

I've got a lil question b/c iam not absolutely up-to-date about every new AA-Feature: Is it possible to make a dedicated server which is sending a special grid to the clients to play on a "Labyrinth"? (or any other defined extra-walls)

Sincerely.

Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

yes. with maps. these will only work on beta and cvs clients. I believe there actually is a lbyrinth server. And there was lucifer's map rotater on the crack pipe but I think that's down.
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
Get Nuxified

http://zombiehq.jollybox.de/zhq/undead-blog
jabber:[email protected]
irc: free-zombie, freezombie or similar on FreeNode & OFTC

philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Re: Grid ala Labyrinth possible?

Post by philippeqc »

iF wrote:Hi.

I've got a lil question b/c iam not absolutely up-to-date about every new AA-Feature: Is it possible to make a dedicated server which is sending a special grid to the clients to play on a "Labyrinth"? (or any other defined extra-walls)

Sincerely.
Yes.

Lucifer has done one interpretation of this. You can read about his idea of a server running labyrinths here http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 5803#35803.

IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), the solution that Lucifer took can be resumed by this: each N minutes, a script is run, generating a new random maze and creating an ArmagetronAd map file. It then indicate to the game server what is the new name of the map to play with. At the next round, the game server tell all the clients that the file has changed, and they download the new file.

To learn more about what is possible with maps, I would tip you to consult our wiki http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php/Map_Making. All the details of the format should be explained in the document "Making map by hand". As you advertise yourself as having some difficulties with english, I'll appologyse beforehand. The language might be a bit technical, and the document has now grown just over the 50 kilobytes bar. I sure hope you manage through it.

Even though I'll be on vacation next week, many seem to have swim through my writings relatively unarmed, and will surely be glad to help you.

Good luck ;)

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.

Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner

Post by Lucifer »

If you'd like a preview of what the maps looked like, I'll try to copy some of the generted maps over to the webserver so you can download them. Otherwise, Philippe linked to where the stuff I used to build the Labyrinth server is posted.

I might bring it back up if there's enough interest, of course I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

iF
GLL Admin

Post by iF »

Fantastic!

@Walking Tree: This is what i hoped for. Thank you!

@philippeqc: Thank you for your big explain. Now i know what i have to do.

@Lucifer: It will be great to get some files from you because then its easier for me to reproduce it. At the moment iam sure i do not want dynamic Maps - a static map is what i want.

Thank you all - now i know what i have to do. :)

iF.

Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Luci seems a bit busy so i'll post one of the maps his generator made. seeing as how your just looking for a single "Labyrinth" map im just posting one from when his server was still up.
Attachments
labyrinth-Nov-04-21-35-00-2005.aamap.xml
* Your_mom *
(34.4 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

iF
GLL Admin

Post by iF »

i see, thank you.