Invisiwall bug

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Invisiwall bug

Post by Z-Man »

I'm investigating this curious incident that happened on the Fortress server:

Code: Select all

[0] lazly    core dumped a teammate! Boo! No points for that!
[0] jesus core dumped LUCIFER for 2 points.
[0] jesus core dumped BUDDHA for 2 points.
[0] jesus core dumped philippeqc for 2 points.
<snip>
[2] philippeqc: invisiwall
[2] philippeqc: BUG! invisiwal
[4] Joystick: i saw
[2] philippeqc: z-man, I got killed before teh bug message by an invisiwall
Would there be a chance of a clientside recording existing? A recollection from memory would also help here. What I'm particularly interested in is whether the wall the three crashed into was invisible right from the point where jesus turned, or if it became invisible later. All eyewitnesses are welcome to comment; please also state your client version.

PS: it is sort of amusing having LUCIFER, BUDDHA and jesus battle it out on the grid :)
Edit: on closer look, BUDDHA and GOD were just minions of LUCIFER. That makes it slightly less amusing.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Sorry z-man, I did not record the event. Now that I realise the content of the log, I realise the futility of the thing;) I was just so happy that I could contribute. ;) I'll start to play with recording from now on.

What was fun was when Death joined, and 2 min later, jesus did. After I commented on that fact, someone, most likely with a second computer, kept on joining with 3 similarly named characters and let them drive in a straigth line. O it was fun the first 17 times, but after that the joke got old.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

hi... got another incident of this bug today (I guess)... no recording... but multiple players died without the killer being anywhere near...

I was driving next to dev_null and he got killed out of thin air, by MaZuffer, who was on the other side of the grid as far as I know.

I said BUG often today ... :| so better grep for "invis".
Invader
Average Program

Post by Invader »

Ya it happens to me all the time. ill be driving then all of a sudden boom.
Invader
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I tried to reproduce this bug, but to no avail. If it happens all the time, surely someone can produce a clientside recording of it?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Lag's crazy on Fortress, and team chat stopped working! Here's a recording.

Oops, meant to post this somewhere else. Please ignore this post. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Bump. Apart from the Windows startup problems (hopefully fixed, we'll see) this is the only known serious bug left.

I have a theory: for some reason, the death time is not set correctly on the client, and walls vanish early. I'll try to eliminate this possibility simply by proper coding, but I could still very much need a clientside recording.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

I remember this to have happened on 0.2.6...

and i'm getting into the habit of recording everything.
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

maybe this helps:

at about T:300 or so, a part of my tail became invisible (while speed-u-turning :oops: ) . but didn't kill me.
if it matters, it was recorded with beta3 built from source on ubuntulinux 5.10 x86 gcc4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I could not yet playback to the spot you marked, but I'll try again on my work PC. What you describe would be the wall nullification bug. Since you were on a 0.2.7.1 server that surely was affected, this would not be too surprising.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Got it to play back. It looks like a regular lag effect, the temporary wall your client created got deleted before the real wall from the server arrived. I'll see if I can make the handling more sane.
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

Hmm..We have alot of defenitions for walls...

Warpywalls- When your wall has some odd glitch that makes your wall warp when you turn(fixed in beta_4 but still active in beta_3)

Dynomitewalls- A weird mixture of lag and a glitch and when you hit a wall to grind you suddenly explode when you still have about 250 rubber left(Only personally spotted in beta_1 and beta_2)

invisiwalls- A really freaky laggish glitch that makes one of your walls invisible! Keep goin without turning and you might have a slightly odd advantage(pretty much spotted in all versions but is being hunted down and soon gone in later versions)

We have some fun stuff..Still Armagetron is kinda fun with glitches..Like that one time ~*SP*~ Vital got a glitch and he went throught peoples walls but you could still die from his! Man that was funny!

Anyway..Yeah I've had this problem alot but not lately. I haven't seen it in a while actually.. :|
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Revan wrote:Like that one time ~*SP*~ Vital got a glitch and he went throught peoples walls but you could still die from his! Man that was funny!
:o Must have been a zombie. A cycle that is alive (so it can move) and dead (so it can no longer be killed) at the same time. Interesting.

I did something against some forms of invisiwalls. The one where your own walls disappear is usually caused by "black holes", when the connection to the server breaks down completely for a split second (or several seconds if you're unlucky). Happens a lot on Lucifer's servers and to Iceman. The walls you lie down simply time out then. I modified the timeout process so they don't disappear if there has been no update at all from the server. Of course, you'll still die because you don't get updates, but then it's not my fault :)

The invisible death wall (a player dies and his wall disappears too fast on the client), if caused by setting the wrong death time, should now also be fixed. I don't know how exactly it was caused, but I restructured the code maipulating the two relevant variables (alive status and death time) to only set both at once. There were some places where only the alive status were set, duh.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

another type not listed is deadmans trail, but i just tested the latest version & i think its fixed..

u can search the forums for "deadmans" for a description of this one.. only happens on short tails servers near the end of some dead guys trail b4 it finishes decaying..

will post here when i'm positive its fixed..
ŠüþéRTàRÐ
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I did some work to fix the deadman's trail, it should be gone. I'm not sure whether it was a server only or client only fix or a combined fix, though.