Prediction

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Prediction

Post by Z-Man »

The last days, I have been playing with prediction enabled (Game->Network Game->Network Setup). It worked better than expected. Sure, the enemy cycles jump around a lot, but that only makes the information that they turned arrive faster at your brain. Also, it get MUCH easier to judge who will die in an upcoming collision, you or the other guy.
Small bug fixed in CVS: Unfortunately, the laggometer in the betas takes too long to grow to the correct size.

What are your experiences? What is better: Prediction (=> more accurate enemy positions) or no prediction (=> smoother enemy movement)?
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

my experiance is i leave it off, but i've only tinkered with it for 10min.. and im dialup windows user
ŠüþéRTàRÐ
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

Ive found that my game gets laggier with prediction on so I always leave it off and rely on my own prediction

but then again ive only tried it for about an hour with a few servers
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I don't know if I have prediction on or off. Heh. I'll go find out, I remember not seeing a difference, though.

Edit:

I had it off, so I turned it on. Not sure how much I'm noticing is different or just the players that were there, I'll play like that for a little while and get back to you. ;) Also, I noticed the lag-o-meters being smaller.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

Laggier? Oh well I never knew what the hell it was until now..I guess I should turn it off lol. 8)
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:Also, I noticed the lag-o-meters being smaller.
Yes, that's the bug I mentioned.

And yes, the jumping around feels a bit like lag, and I see it probably gets really annoying with pings larger than 100 ms.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

i played with it on yesterday on fortress. the jumping around is a bit annoying, but i think it does help a bit. fortunately, my ping on fortress is low.
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
~|DS|~|Patch|
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by ~|DS|~|Patch| »

old topic, lol

i always have prediction on (console command PREDICT_OBJECTS 1) it helps in DS server cuzi can cut people off like i have a german ping (server is based in germany therefore, anyone living in germany has a very low ping)

i don't see an lag resulted, but i am on a 2.1GHz iMac G5, hehe
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

can't stand the arrows

makes the launch almost unreadable
hold the line
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Prediction

Post by DDMJ »

It helps tremendously on fortress servers especially because I have a bad ping on those servers (pretty much always over 200). It helps me kill people with much lower pings as before I thought I was getting "lag-killed" by them. Now I kinda know where I "actually" am and can see where my opponents are without lag taking much of an affect. It is annoying watching people once I'm dead (if I ever die...lol) because they are really jumpy, but it's worth it. But if you see that I'm in the game with you, please turn it off so I can kill you. Thanks. O and by the way, I was wondering what the console command is to turn it on and off. Thanks.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I play with prediction off, come and kill me. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I've always played without it, but then I'm one of those who adjusts to game environments that others might deem unplayable (I've even been accused for cheating for doing well in such a situation). But I do acknowledge the disadvantages of lag; in fact that's the way to deal with it, as far as possible.

PREDICT_OBJECTS is the prediction setting.
Core Dumper

Re: Prediction

Post by newbie »

z-man wrote: What is better: Prediction (=> more accurate enemy positions) or no prediction (=> smoother enemy movement)?
both are good

while playing fortress i'm changing prediction many times in one round for differnet goals, it depends from what am i doing on the grid

and therefore i can't wait when the new .3 version will be out (instant console commands :) )
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35