new armagetron sound scheme

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
paniq303
On Lightcycle Grid

new armagetron sound scheme

Post by paniq303 »

made a new small pack of handcomposed sounds for armagetron.

http://downloads.paniq.org/paniq-armagetron-sounds.zip

let me know what you think :)
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

good to see people experimenting with addons 8)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Wow

I've had some great fun trying to give cycle_speed_sound different values to try your cycle sound.

the crash sound is very original! I'd never have thought of that
the turn sound pass very well. Is it just me, or is there a small delay between the turn and the moment I hear it. Maybe I've just never noticed it before, but I guess it's volontary and I like it.

Very neat

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
iceman

Post by iceman »

ive just checked the .wav file and theres no gap at the start so maybe its your sound card or something else ?

theres some huge clipping (fuzz) applied to the cycle run wav, nice
paniq303
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by paniq303 »

i'm playing with this soundscheme. deaths are much more entertaining and the cycle sound itself has more overtones and sounds more "cycling". i did it using jeskola buzz, its basically handcomposed.

the cycle sound feels best when playing the fortress game mode.

i'm playing online as "Tesafilm" :)
iceman

Post by iceman »

lol tesafilm its you :D , still trying to kill clients with lag ?

btw ive played in servers with cycle_accel 30 without any problems so I dont think it was your cycle_accel 40 causing the lag more probably my distance from your server :D
paniq303
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by paniq303 »

i also have this trouble with people who have ping values of >= 70. it also seems the server is occasionally just "stalling", that is, all packages are blocked for a short period of time, which results in sudden game jumps and inexplainable explosions.

dont know how to fix it. i guess thats what you get when you have a cheap hoster :/
paniq303
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by paniq303 »

besides i think that the armagetron network code is a RPOS. in quake, when there have been server lags, the game was _paused_ by the client until a new stream of packets arrived. this way you could tell easier if there was a general connection problem.
iceman

Post by iceman »

yeah thats the problem I was having, huge pauses with no position updates so bike were jumping in random locations every few seconds making the game unplayable :(
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

You know, I've been meaning to ask about this. I've downloaded moviepacks and found sound files for actions I don't recognize. (I forget the names, but things like cycle turn, and intro and outro.) Is it just that the Mac version only supports cyclrun and expl? Not that it really matters, or is something that needs to be changed if this is so—those two sounds are sufficient alone. I'm just curious.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Those extra sounds need to go into a "moviesounds" folder inside the data directory. On the same level as the "sounds" folder.

My laptop doesn't have sound most of the time (breaks on suspend), so no judgment by me yet :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Ah, so would someone mind listing the names for all the "moviesounds" for me?

Also, in the Mac version, the cycle turning sound is accomplished by playing the "expl" sound really fast. Would that be overridden, then, if I had a separate "cycturn" sound?

Also, if I were to leave one of the sounds out, would it cause the client to crash in the same manner that leaving out a texture would?

Also, shouldn't there be a little thing in the wiki about sounds?

Also...just kidding, no more ankle-biting. :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

paniq303 wrote:besides i think that the armagetron network code is a RPOS. in quake, when there have been server lags, the game was _paused_ by the client until a new stream of packets arrived. this way you could tell easier if there was a general connection problem.
Thanks for the *cough* constructive *cough* criticism, but stopping the game when there are network problems (which can't be avoided in the real world) is not an option. This is a lightcycle game. Lightcycles can't be stopped. We cannot change the laws of physics, you know :) So if the game on the client was paused, the cylce on the server would go on happily (unlike your quake player, who can usually just stand still and get killed), so when you resume, your position would be even wronger than it is with the current code.

Cool sounds, though! Remind me a bit of emerald mine, I just miss the yam-yam's :)
paniq303
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by paniq303 »

well add a marker somewhere that at least proves that there is lag.

have you also thought about switching to udp?
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

paniq303 wrote:have you also thought about switching to udp?
ever heard of something called a firewall ?
afaik, udp only has a chance if BOTH SIDES OPEN A PORT, which you just can't expect from ppl these days...
on the grid as ~free::zombie~