settings..

World of TiTnAsS, World of Hate... Stuff about them goes here. Duh.

Moderator: TiTnAsS

TiTnAsS
Match Winner

settings..

Post by TiTnAsS »

Anyone have any problems with the settings that should be adressed? Any comments on the server etc? (we will have the roulette map soon..)
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yo, I dig most of the settings, but I'm not fond of the infinite tails. If the idea is that it's a good server for roulette and mazing, those can go on longer if tails aren't infinite.

I also don't believe that infinite tails "discourage camping," as I've heard that you said (yes, we've been snickering behind your back :wink: ). In fact, I think the opposite is true. Being winzone-free and only awarding points for a core dump (and none for survival/"last active player") is plenty to discourage any kind of meaningful or bad camping. Plus, infinite tails allow for the lame big-box-and-run tactic, which itself forces the player boxed to camp. Not to start up another ballyhoo about all that.

Anyhow, you can make them long, if you like, but I and others have expressed a desire that they not be infinite.

Oh, and the tails staying up indefinitely after someone is cored. I'm just curious the purpose of this.

Oh, and is there any way to make the outer rim touchier? I was able to 180 against it about 15 times before exploding. (But I wasn't able to 180 against a tail more than twice, sometimes even just once, which is awesome.)
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

I also agree with oscill about inf rubber and walls stay up after a player has died.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Alright how long do you guys want the tails?

The reason they stay up for ever are so they dont ruin peoples mazes or roulettes when others die -_-...

I remember /dev/null changes the invisible wall (not sure what it is) to the inside from the outside, making ripping and grinding deep harder, yes this would discourage dbing into it, but i have to ask Luci about it :/...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, it's a rather sizeable arena (or I've just been playing in Shrunkland too much), so, I dunno, if you still want to keep them long, how about 1600m? If that seems too short, and large roulettes are receding too quickly, try longer. Compromise and trial&error are fine by me.

Maybe we could also compromise with the wall delay. Have it be 32 seconds or something.

(Btw, hanger, did you mistype about rubber? The rubber's good as is.)
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Alright setting changes i made:

-Changed spawn locations (tard did actually) to make it more suitable for roulette.. (tard msg me when you can on irc because i need you to change the spawn locations to point left)

-made wall length 2400ish (philippeqc and I tested for about 20 minutes and got it just perfect for 2 player roulette which will of course take more wall to hit the outer rim then more players will, so it might be a bit long for say 5 players)..

-make wall stay up delay 35 seconds on request of Osc..

-ive forgotten to ask lucifer about moving the barrier to the inside of the arena to make the outer rim harder to grind, this is more of a reminder to me to ask him, unless he wants to comment on it here or PM me...

Anything else guys?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

TiTnAsS wrote: -ive forgotten to ask lucifer about moving the barrier to the inside of the arena to make the outer rim harder to grind, this is more of a reminder to me to ask him, unless he wants to comment on it here or PM me...
'splain. I don't understand. What's this "barrier" you speak of?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

He didn't really tell me, ill tell you everything he told me though.

There is an invisible barrier on the other side of the wall, that makes it so you cant go through it. Like the thing that makes the wall a wall, and not just a projection that makes so you cant see it. It is placed right on the other side of where you see the wall, just so you can grind into it and stuff, and thats the reason you can go farther into it then regular walls. What he did we move it from one side of the projection to the other, therefore making it so you CANNOT grind all the way in, and so its harder to get on it/grind it.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Lucifer wrote:
TiTnAsS wrote: -ive forgotten to ask lucifer about moving the barrier to the inside of the arena to make the outer rim harder to grind, this is more of a reminder to me to ask him, unless he wants to comment on it here or PM me...
'splain. I don't understand. What's this "barrier" you speak of?
I would guess its the engine detection if you are outside of the rim or not. IIRC it has 2 limits, one soft at 10 that prevent motion further, and one hard at 20, instantly killing you.

Some ppl did experiment with setting the value of the first one to ver small negative values, putting it INSIDE the arena, preventing grinding of the rim.

I hope I did interprete TitnAss' post properly.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Of course I can't say what it was that /dev/null did, but philippe's description of the matter is entirely correct. It would have been possible to use these barriers to make the rim ungrindable.
However, the values are hardcoded and will stay that way. They're only intended as last and next-to-last resorts against players leaving the arena, and they don't work with other shapes than rectangles.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

...it's only too bad that I now can't seem to play more than a single round against real players. :(
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Phil got it right on the nose :).. Z-man, are there any settings specific to making it harder to grind the outer rim?
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

TiTnAsS wrote:Z-man, are there any settings specific to making it harder to grind the outer rim?
It is sadly not a setting, but more like a hack in the code. It's quite easy to do it on your own server, but as z-man point out, it heavily depends on the shape of the arena being a rectangle.

Not a real edit, but much later after looking at the code:
About hacking the server code for your own need, I was under the impression that it was something near

Code: Select all

if (!eWallRim::IsBound(c->pos,-20))
        c->Kill();
(src/engine/eGameObject.cpp line 649), just with a value of 0.01 instead of -20, and with code to forbid moving further instead of killing, but I cant find that peice of code. Confused.

As to if fixing this is wise or not, that is another topic.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

I can't do that, its run on Lucifers computer ;)... I guess ill go without.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You can also set CYCLE_ACCEL_RIM to an insanely high value, this will send everyone who tries to go even near the rim off to death in infinity.
There would also be the possibility of modifying the rubber efficiency based on the wall, but I think rubber is more of a feature of the cycle itself, so this would be illogical. Several people would be needed to talk me into it :)