example

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Grub

example

Post by Grub »

can anybody of u give me an example of a good server? i wanna try to make a server by my own butt i don't know any commands.....and i dont know how to get the server online for example and much more problems
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Good is so subjective about AA. Play on a few server that seems popular, once you figured out what "good" means for you, you know the setting they use because the game display all the ones it need to change when you log to that server.

Now about making a clone of a server, some people could think it rude if you just went and copied their settings to make another server. If its to learn more about the game, they will probably not mind at all and think its a compliment.

As too making a clone of a good server, there is already a lot of servers out there, so ask yourself "What would I add by making a clone". Try to find your own niche. Maybe it is to offer a "clone" on another continent, so the players from that continent can have a good play experience too. Maybe its something else.

Good luck with your experimentations!

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

And if you have technical questions, please ask the specifics. We don't know whether the first question you want answered is "What is a computer?" or "How do I tunnel network packets through my router?" :)
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

The second question might be a good one to sticky in this section..
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

All I have to say is if you do make an actual new server, please do something different. Seems that just about all that's left are clones or minor variations on that one—you know that one. Popular does not necessarily equal good (er, argumentum ad populum).
Grub

Post by Grub »

i don't wanna make a clone of an other server. i just wanna see the settings of a good server like "speeders" or "christies armagetron server"....

ok! cu!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

For the game physics settings, all you have to do is watch the "XXX changed from A to B on server order" messages when you connect; it's convenient to make a screenshot. That's what determines the feeling of a server the most. You'll have to deduce the game rule settings (score limit, round limit, teams/no teams) by observation, the server keeps them secret. Secret is slightly wrong word, the client simply does not need to be informed of them.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I just finished the first draft of the server administration guide on the wiki. :)

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php/ ... tion_Guide

It doesn't tell you exactly what you're asking, but it's a start.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Grub wrote:i don't wanna make a clone of an other server. i just wanna see the settings of a good server like "speeders" or "christies armagetron server"....
Yah, those are the ones to which I was referring. : /
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Good server? Cough..
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Man, I love speeders, it's my favorite server!

Umm, which one is that, again?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Lol, one of those big servers that go insanely fast, so fast that it needs like 100000 rubber or something tweaky like that..
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

Grub wrote:i don't wanna make a clone of an other server. i just wanna see the settings of a good server like "speeders" or "christies armagetron server"
I don’t consider these as good servers at all, try creating a server where rubber and speed is low, you will attract skilled players.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

hang3r wrote:I don’t consider these as good servers at all, try creating a server where rubber and speed is low, you will attract skilled players.
Describes my server... Incidently, very few people play there, ergo...
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

There are a few server settings that where posted in the forum. Some proper search migth turn out much more than this.

Armagoshdarns server settings: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?p=23#23
The Inner District http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 0075#10075

I'm quite sure if you ask Lucifer, who has administerd or partially administerd Breakfast of *, The Crack Pipe and possibly a few others, he will be happy to share some of them.

Otherwise, contacting the admin of the servers you like could give you some results.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.