The Fortress

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
KamP
Round Winner

The Fortress

Post by KamP »

The fortress is a server that cropped up a couple of days ago
If you haven't been yet, it's a team match, two teams, and the objective is to get in the opposite teams winzone, like football armagetron style

There's a few strategies there that WORK
nonstop working, except when there's very few ppl on a team, an thankfully, that's rare :)
The first, foremost, and almost only, is the missile.
Here everyone piles up on the middle guy, and lets fate take care of the rest, whoever gets through the blockers gets through. It works excessively well, though the other team stays in the game with dumps, not enough usually.
The obvious solution to the missile is putting up a lot of walls, and that works pretty well. The only good ideas in this case is to get your apologies ready, and grind on the opposing walls
If you grind to left, look for holes from past collisions and go in those, if you grind right, go around and find whoever's been making these walls (if it's gyl, tell him kamp sent you) and dump him righteously. No one likes a party pooper :lol:
for the most part though, once you've gotten past the main group of ppl you're basically safe

Almost all really viable strategies come off this missile
Depending on how many people you've got, you can have one or two people come off the left side to try and lead some of the other team into their walls or astray to the rim.

it's always a good idea to make sure any holes in the middle are plugged up tight
people on the right really shouldn't be moving around unless (a) they really want to be on defense, and that's they're calling, like Joan of Arc or (b) they're scared of dying in armagetron.... just a game folks or (c, the only GOOD reason) gyl is making a bunch of walls to stop people

Other things to remember are that you have brakes
they're useful
especially when you get to walls and in the winzone

unfortunately the missile's the best strategy, which i guess will not attract players like scope or other mazers, but for anybody that likes to go pretty fast and then fight a little at the end, come to the fortress

and don't be like The It, or Sam or whatever he calls himself and team kill
it's lame, i don't like it, neither does the other guy, and it's like letting the terrorists win.

Anyone else have thoughts ?
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

yes, a very fun server!

now if only the 2.8 servers would stop dissapearing.. ;p
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Sounds kinda like having the O-line block while the Fullback leads for the Halfback.

(It's football season, eh.)
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

Oscilloscope wrote:(It's football season, eh.)
sure is, go dolphins
Oscilloscope wrote:Sounds kinda like having the O-line block while the Fullback leads for the Halfback.
It is kind of, the general idea is that you plow through. I picture Cadillac outta Tampa Bay personally
SuPeRtArD wrote:now if only the 2.8 servers would stop dissapearing.. ;p
they do that? makes sense, i finally used the beta on a windows box, since there still ain't no debian package. the winzones change colors, very pretty
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

beta2 is broken...servers down randomly. Apparently its fixed in cvs though..
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Just in case anyone was wondering, that server is mine.

To experiment, I made explosions smaller (2 instead of 4) to make blocking a ramrod/plow/steamroll easier. I also made the two zones harder to conquer (roughly according to Philippe's suggestions in the other thread), now it's

1 attacker, 0 defenders: 5 seconds to conquer.
1 attacker, 1 or more defenders: not conquerable.
2 attackers, 0 defenders: 2 seconds to conquer.
2 attackers, 1 defender: 3.3 seconds to conquer.
2 attackers, 2 defenders: 10 seconds to conquer.

I hope that makes the rounds last a tiny bit longer and shift the gameplay a bit away from the domination of offensive tactics.

I also doubled the wall acceleration.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

some ppl were saying they thot the zones should be smaller, but with 5 & 10 second conquers, i dont think they should be smaller...

i hope the changes work well :)

its been a very popular server for the past few days
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

z-man wrote:1 attacker, 1 or more defenders: not conquerable.
OHHHHHHH
yea that's frustrating that one
so
as a defender, against one person you can weave in and out of the zone and make it unconquerable?
z-man wrote:I hope that makes the rounds last a tiny bit longer and shift the gameplay a bit away from the domination of offensive tactics.
it does...kinda
a missile with a buncha ppl with guts and willing to just smash into walls, can manage to jam a good two or three ppl in the zone :)
but there's a couple people that are just happier on defense, like radian, or me, usually. It's more like the regular game.

On the other hand, what's with the scoring
I'd won a gajillion rounds, connected today, now i've won 1... one
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

The non conquerable should be eliminated imo..

Nemo and I were dominating 2vs3 (and every other minute someone would join for a couple rounds then itd be 2vs4) by just defending..splitting each of our ways and not letting anyone through... it was fairly easy to keep people from getting thru as long as we grinded the middle tight enough in the beggining... The real problem is that the server is in Germany, it will get easier to grind when theres a server like this in NA..(for most of us that is)...

I've also become good at defending, I dont go for it unless its like wide open, otherwise i just kill all the people on my side.. :) even if they make holes for eachother i can double back and seal it then still keep em on the other side.. Only double back when you see one of em heading for the hole or you lose em tho...
Damn, it sure has been a while!
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Tits, the non-conquerable thing on 1 vs 1 was my idea (of sort, z-man calculated the settings based on very bad guidelines of mine).

Basically I was dreaming up some "conditions" or "rules" where winning a Zone would basically be a 2 man job. 1 person no defender could do it, but in a long time. The idea was to limit the "quick lucky rush" that wins so many rounds, and make it a bit more cooperative. Also, by slowing the rate at wich a single attacker would win a zone, I was hoping that my experience as a defender would be more meaningfull, and I'd have a chance to at least try to battle the attacker out of the zone. I'm really not saying this is a well thought concept ;)

Not having see z-man's server yesterday, I dont know how it would actually play. I think people are good to adapt themself. Should z-man have introduced the fortress with such settings, someone suggesting that you should be able to conquer a zone alone in 2 sec would probably get the same amount of opposition, with comments that "it would be too easy, not fun, etc". I'll say this instead: "you are most probably right to say that a 2-man concept wouldn't be as fun as a single man one, but through the flexibility that z-man has put in the config system, I'm quite sure someone out there will find a well balanced 2 man set of settings."

But as you've shown in your post, you developed new strategies to defend a zone in the "2 sec" config. Neat!

-------------------------------------
And now for Uncle Phil strategy tip of the day:

So there are 12 players on the server, and you are stuck in the middle position. Thought luck. Usually your chance of survival are less than 10:1. I the ennemy doesnt do it, a teammate will come and grind you to death on both side till they are sure you can only go smack your nose on some wall.

My tip is simple: brake!

"But WTF uncle Phil, l1k3 it's s0 n0t l33t t0 br4k3!"

First learn to type, then i just dont care what you think is cool or not. Does the server allow it? Yes, then use it.

So yes. Brake!

Chances are, there will soon be many explosions opening holes in front of you. The ennemy is quite good at doing this, but the teammates that where grinding you to death also. Suddenly your chance of survival are now 7 to 10. But your not out of the bushes.

Now that you've slown down, and pass the carnage, you are often quite free to fly to the ennemy zone with very little resistance. But because you've slown down, you really need to catch up some speed, or an ennemy that go rid of your grinding teammate of death will reach your own zone before you. Hurry up and grind like there is no tomorrow. You have already survived the most dangerous step. Even if you kill yourself half the time trying to go for that perfect, nirvana like, ideal grind of perfect acceleration, you will get better odds that trying to take on the mush pit head on.

And this is Uncle Phil's strategy of the day.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Yaza Yamagotchi »

Thanks for the server Z-man! I prefer team based games and it is exciting to see a new team-based game mode appear. :D

I really like the current 1v1 rule, it does stop the 'lucky rush' that philippeqc describes and adds more depth to the gameplay. I think that the stalemate scenario is quite properly balanced. After awhile multiple winzones appear, if a defender has been overly protective of the zone and completely locked themselves in a box around the goal, they will have no chance to reach one of the winzones first (assuming that the attacking player has enough sense to keep them locked in).

In the event that the defender is just trying to keep a foothold in the goal area, I think that the attacker has a slight advantage, the attacker has nothing to lose by being 'pushed' out of the zone for a few seconds.

I would be saddened to lose the extra length and battles that are a direct result of the 1v1 rule.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Best server there is, although not everybody understands good tactics to conquer the zone. Also i think it's best to, when teams are getting 6 or more people, the spawn should split up, else it gets too crowded and the centre guy/girl can't get away. That's why i prefer a outside position so you can determine the game and determine what's best for the team. So when it's a team of 6 players you could get it to be a spawn of 3 and 3 or 2 2 and 2 and 8 4 and 4 or 2 2 2 2 or 3 2 3... Lots of oppertunities.

Also, maybe a nice one would be more zones, every team has 2 smaller zones which both have to be caputered. That way the game can last longer than half a minute, which hardly ever happens now...

But i still think it's a very nice server z-man (and other dev's) very good work :)
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

players have been asking for a team-chat key

it would also be cool if the gold team spoke in yellow & the blue blue

easier to tell if your team-mates are talking to you

i think it would be cool if the zones didnt grow, but its pretty cool either way..

:D
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:players have been asking for a team-chat key
Just FYI, when /msg was in development I implemented /team. Nothing substantial, but it gave me some experience in that area. :)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I guess now's as good a time as any to mention it, but I'm trying to bring a new server online called "Belly of the Beast" that will run in this new team mode. :) It'll have a mix of "solve the map" maps and fortress maps.

But I've got a few details to work out before it'll be running, but when you see the Crack Pipe accessible again, expect Belly of the Beast to soon follow.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden