Armagetron ON Steam (2019) with steam direct

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Armagetron ON Steam (2019) with steam direct

Post by Z-Man »

Hah, I just realized something. I can get the onboarding tweaks to Steam users with low risk WITHOUT a proper release process. In case of problems, I can always roll back easily.
So I declared a current early build for 0.2.9.1 a release candidate (not a lie! It totally could be a release later. Unlikely, but possible.) and put it up in the 'staging' beta branch on Steam.
Could you guys give it a spin? If nobody screams 'aaaaarhgh it burned down my house', I'll make it the default.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Just ran a few games in 8v8 fortress without any significant issues. Of note, updating the client resets everything (name, instant chats, the tutorial) - I assume this is intended only so far as it's not been removed from how downloading the new client runs.

The text style of the server browser is also different - not bad necessarily, but humans don't like change. I'll edit this post if there are any legit issues with the client that pop up. Thanks for continued updates :)
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

What were you using previously? If it was the default Steam version (no beta branch) or a previous build from 'staging', neither a setting reset nor a browser style change is intentional.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

default steam
ps I'm not tokoyami
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

So, now I'm super nervous :) Tested both Linux and Windows, both worked for me; no settings reset, all configs loaded from where they were supposed to, server browser screenshots are identical pixel by pixel (except in those places where the text changed, obviously).

Can you make a screenshot of the server browser and the 'About' page (reachable from the main menu; it's a little tricky to screenshot because the internal screenshot key does not work there... it also suffices to note the version and the path to user.cfg), first for the 'staging' build you got now, and then going back to what you had before?
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Looking back at your first post, I downloaded the alpha build and not the staging build :oops: :oops: :oops:

I tried again with staging and there were no settings reset and the server list was the same. Really sorry!
Last edited by syllabear on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ps I'm not tokoyami
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

as above
ps I'm not tokoyami
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I cannot figure out Steam at all. I've spent half an hour trying to figure out how to see beta builds. How do I test these?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

At least you can run steam, it crashes my machine just about every time.

Edit. for clarity here, It's the steam client that crashes, I can't even get far enough with it to install retro cycles before it crashes.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

syllabear: ah. phew :) No worries, I had a similar problem myself recently, where I accidentally, still not sure how, ran a 0.4 version from way before 2015 and wondered why it was doing weird stuff.

kyle: Thanks for the clarification. Jumpy as I am, I might have gotten that wrong.

sinewav: You go to the properties. Quickest way is through the right klick context menu in the library:
steam_contextmenu.png
(Also available over the gears icon)
There, in the last tab labeled 'beta', you can pick a beta branch.
steam_properties.png
'staging' is the one for this particular test. It should be a reasonably safe branch to be on permanently, you get the regular releases about a week early (as release candidate versions) and the final builds one or two days early. Except for now, where I'm doing a reckless thing.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:32 amsinewav: You go to the properties.
Thanks. I saw that tab earlier and made some choices from the drop-down menu, but I guess I was expecting something to happen? Some kind of GUI feedback, like a list of versions? I also tried putting in a code you gave me weeks ago that didn't work. Anyway, I see how
    it works now. I tried 0.2.9.1 and no problems on my system. What branch should I stay on to be the most help? Staging?

Code: Select all

Kernel: 5.4.0-7634-generic 
    Resolution: 1920x1080 
    DE: MATE 
    WM: Metacity (Marco) 
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (16) @ 3.900GHz 
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 
    Memory: 2182MiB / 32125MiB 
    Z-Man
    God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 am I saw that tab earlier and made some choices from the drop-down menu, but I guess I was expecting something to happen? Some kind of GUI feedback, like a list of versions?
    Ha! Foolish mortal. Steam does not give lowly players like yourself a version list or revision history. It's just a machine that gives the directory the developer prepared to you, it does not even think in terms of versions, they're just builds with a long numeric ID.
    I'll write an update for every change that makes it to the default channel; for the other channels, there would be too many. You can always check what's the current general build on the automatically updated download site; on that specific page, you either see the current beta build or release candidate. It's only the beta build if that has a higher revision count.
    alpha, beta and experimental builds go to the like-named channels on steam. Release candidates go to staging, as do the final releases before they're manually, well, released.
    sinewav wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 amI also tried putting in a code you gave me weeks ago that didn't work.
    I suppose they expired when the game was released.
    sinewav wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 amWhat branch should I stay on to be the most help? Staging?
    Beta is probably the branch that helps most. During the time where staging gets new builds to test, identical code is pushed to beta, usually (unless I forget a simple operation; I should automate that.) So staging is a subset of beta.
    And nothing too exciting is going to happen on alpha while we're on 0.2.9.
    Z-Man
    God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Now, of course, if you do want a system with automatic updates that shows you which version it's about to download and run and even lets you select between versions (within limits; of alpha/beta builds, I'll delist older ones) and lets you have different branches installed simultaneously, try Zero Install.

Yeah, I'll keep promoting that until at least one of you tries it. I know you haven't because I broke it multiple times and it was broken for weeks and nobody complained :)
    sinewav
    Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:26 pmYeah, I'll keep promoting that until at least one of you tries it.
    I tried it for the first time two weeks ago and I think this is how I'll get Armagetron from now on. It reminds me of the PortableApps platform. Very cool. I should look for other 0install projects.