Kevin's Servers & The DDOS

Topics and posts about all other servers...
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Kevin's Servers & The DDOS

Post by aP|Nelg »

Well, Kevin Horner's servers have unfortunately been the victim of distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks which have been bringing the servers (as well as Kevin's network) down. These servers have been an important part of our community providing servers which otherwise would not be available to play in. To have the servers interrupted in this way can only hurt ArmagetronAd and its player-base more. Moreover, Kevin has spent time attempting to mitigate the effect of the DDOS attacks, but unfortunately has been unsuccessful.

We think that a VPS would better serve the community by offering DDOS protection as well as better latency between the players and the server. To reduce total costs, it is better to pay for a year of server hosting at once rather than on a by-month basis. Thus, a single core server would cost just over $100 for a single year. With Kevin's "rule of thumb" of 20 players online per core, more cores, while having additional cost, would be a nice addition.

Donations will be accepted through NFOServers, which will be providing the VPS(es): https://www.nfoservers.com/donate.pl?fo ... 0gmail.com
Running donations directly through NFOServers prevents the possibility of money being used for anything other than to host servers, as the money is saved within NFOServers and is nonrefundable.
Kevin

Re: Kevin's Servers & The DDOS

Post by Kevin »

Edited 9/12 with updated numbers from an additional donation)

This has been an exciting couple of days. First, the repeated DDoS attacks while I was home-hosting took down not only the game server but my home network while I was watching Netflix. This is not OK, and resulted in me having to take my home server offline.

In order to hopefully bring the servers back, Nelg made this post on the forums, and neither of us expected there to be much response but in the past 2 days we have received $215 in donations. I have also matched that $215 and there was a remaining $9.26 sitting in the coffer from a few years ago when I last used nfoservers. $439.26 total in available funds.

A 1 year subscription for a single core VPS has been paid. ($101.90) and we have $327.36 remaining in the coffer at this time. Since we are paid up more than a year in advance, I am open to feedback on expansion options. If we get more donations, we can expand our options even more!

Here are a couple of options I am considering:

1. Keep things as they are.
$101.90 per year cost.
No upgrades to VPS,
Online until September 2023 if we have no additional donations.

2. Increase specs on the current VPS.
$30.60 per year additional cost for double the CPU and double the RAM.
Online until September 2022

3. Get a second VPS in the same location.
$101.90 per year additional cost.
We could have a separate server for racing to prevent these demanding servers from lagging classic modes.
Online until September 2021

4. Get a VPS in Seattle.
$101.90 per year additional cost.
We could have a copy of all Chicago servers in Seattle for lower latency on the west coast.

5. Get a VPS in Frankfurt.
$112.09 per year additional cost.
We could have a copy of all Chicago servers in Frankfurt for lower latency in Europe.
sharpyshow

Post by sharpyshow »

It would be nice to have a VPS in Frankfurt
dedogmodz

Post by dedogmodz »

what about eventually making a control panel for servers like in rx hosting
TWeeTY

Post by TWeeTY »

Yes.
I was disappointed the know that the ddos-happy character went as far as to strike your home server. That is unacceptable. There are obviously those who need the negative attention so much they can act in infantile ways.

Nevertheless, you have my support to help with beefing up the system so as game-play and your life will be less dramatic.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

dedogmodz wrote:what about eventually making a control panel for servers like in rx hosting
We actually do have our own control panel. It's the same one as described in this thread a few years back. However, the people we host for currently are "grandfathered" in, so you'd have to talk with Kevin if you want to do anything with servers (mostly because currently we can't have too many servers as we're working with limited CPU and RAM)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Since 1GB of ram was not enough to run all of the servers I was running while home hosting, I chose the option to upgrade the Chicago VPS.

I can't guarantee I will continue indefinitely, but for now I plan to continue matching any coffer donations. If the fund continues to grow, I will bring more servers online.