Fondest Tron Memories

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Re: Fondest Tron Memories

Post by Goodygumdrops »

My fondest tron memory is the day hoax called me a "****" for telling him to stop recruiting players for pickup from public games -- how'd that work out for you guys?
The once and future "I told you so."
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Goodygumdrops wrote:...how'd that work out for you guys?
GTFOutta here with that crap sarcasm. Your bad attitude and others like you are what eventually ruined the game. Fortress didn't kill TRON. High-Rubber didn't kill TRON. #Pickup didn't kill TRON. Clans didn't kill TRON. Toxic behavior and negativity destroyed the community (and if I'm honest, my behavior was also toxic). But the real reason people are not on the grid has less to do with toxicity in general and more to do with the catastrophic changes to gaming's landscape over the past 20 years. With so many gaming options, why play one full off jerks, regardless of how fun it is?

Armagetron, an unknown open-source retro game, with half a dozen part-time contributers and no financial support, had a community that thrived longer than games with million dollar budgets. I'm glad I was part of it despite having to put up with all the troublemakers.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Goodygumdrops wrote:My fondest tron memory is the day hoax called me a "****" for telling him to stop recruiting players for pickup from public games -- how'd that work out for you guys?
You would've gotten the same response either way x

To echo what's been said already, lots of fond memories over the years, the gameplay was good but I don't think that's why we kept playing
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Hoax wrote:To echo what's been said already, lots of fond memories over the years, the gameplay was good but I don't think that's why we kept playing
Hey, I remember when you told about Hospital Records -- I still subscribe the podcast!

@Goody tator tots :P
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

My fondest tron memory is probably late night sumo in Wild West Sumo. The old style of sumo with 4 players in a zone and up to 4 zones.

Other found memories are just conversations and meeting some great people like Eggman or Compguygene.

This community has so many great minds. Tragically a few drops of poison can alter a fresh well. I still have hope that this game can come back to its old prosperity.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Aww, thanks for the compliment, Agility. My fondest memory is shortly after I started playing online, Manta (Ww) put up the fortress Shootout. I LOVED it. I would go in there every day, shooting Ai's and waiting for people to come. We had huge games there. Then, one evening DLH came in and was defending and invited me to play in Fortress Cafe.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
johnny.nbk.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by johnny.nbk. »

The struggle of trying to spam the refresh and enter button to get into WW CTF and WW CTFS when they were always full. Same thing for Rz Sumo. The ups and downs of starting and ending clans, all the silly drama that came with that. And the awesome tronners I've meet over the years.
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

My fondest memories were with all the cool people I've met on here, and all the late nights I've spent with them. Happy to have been a part of all these great sub-communities within the game, and hope we'll all meet again to catch up.
arilou
Average Program

Post by arilou »

Like the input on this thread. While this game certainly has it's known notable personalities like those stated above my nostalgic memories revolved around a few more obscure servers and their communities. Micro Bus City, Fallin Angels, and XzL had interesting crowds that were short lived and gone between the 2005-07ish time frame. Each of them offered unique game play and one of them I believe (Cash) contributed to the long running Mudpuddle server.
"Day after day, alone on a hill, the man with a foolish grin is keeping perfectly still" --- Billy Shears
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

arilou wrote:Like the input on this thread. While this game certainly has it's known notable personalities like those stated above my nostalgic memories revolved around a few more obscure servers and their communities. Micro Bus City, Fallin Angels, and XzL had interesting crowds that were short lived and gone between the 2005-07ish time frame. Each of them offered unique game play and one of them I believe (Cash) contributed to the long running Mudpuddle server.
Believe it or not, the |FA| servers have only just recently gone down. If at the same time the website says to have expired, that would mean June 4th of this year.
hahaha

Post by hahaha »

Surprised Ari's fondest memories didn't involve slandering any of the countless clans who outshone ID during his illustrious career there
Nub
Average Program

Post by Nub »

Hi everyone! I was randomly going through my bookmarks and found my old tron folder with the 13 or so websites I frequented back in the day... tron times, some other blogs including the stupid drama blog liz ran for a while, clan websites... all the links are broken. All of my old links fail except to this good old forum, and it warmed my heart to see people still posting here, and in this thread.

I'm not sure if I'm even remembered at this point. I learned late that there were already so many legendary Nubs in the game (A_Nub, Nubby, Nubilous) and as others have pointed out, there were definitely bigger players that almost seemed larger than the game. I remember being in such awe at how talented others were when I first started out, and by the time most of the pros' interest was waning I was decent enough to compete.

This game really introduced me to a world I never would have thought existed. I met a lot of really smart and talented people. I was introduced to mIRC which was a whole other world for communication in the pre-facebook internet age. I had my first experiences with a voice program with a ton of strangers. Even now, I have some old contacts in my phone given to me from players. I often wonder if I'll ever butt dial one of them and try to catch up on life. At the time it seemed so absurd to give my phone number to a totally random stranger on the internet who I'd likely never meet or have any relationship with outside of the game... even now it seems weird.

Fondest memory is definitely tough. I remember the overwhelming sense of pride eventually joining CT because to me, they were the elite of the elite (sorry Rogue Tronners). I never could have imagined how nice all the members would be once I was accepted and joined them on voice comms, laughing at Gonzap's accent, the calm concentration of Owned, Voodoo's giggles.

That being said, I don't think anything will top rZ winning ladle 67. I can still hear the explosion of joy when our teamspeak erupted after the win. Vinny's southern accent screaming, and Zero's (normally calm voice) being exuberant with the rest of us. I remember a lot from our rZ days, lots of lengthy discussions about strategy and life in general with Magi. It's crazy to think how many memories we made. It's also a little weird knowing probably none of them will read this, but I hope they enjoyed their time with me as much as I did with them.
Image Image Image Image
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Nub wrote:
That being said, I don't think anything will top rZ winning ladle 67. I can still hear the explosion of joy when our teamspeak erupted after the win. Vinny's southern accent screaming, and Zero's (normally calm voice) being exuberant with the rest of us. I remember a lot from our rZ days, lots of lengthy discussions about strategy and life in general with Magi. It's crazy to think how many memories we made. It's also a little weird knowing probably none of them will read this, but I hope they enjoyed their time with me as much as I did with them.
Right here buddy :) the rZ ladle win was without a doubt the sweetest victory I've experienced not only in tron, but arguably my entire gaming career. Nothing quite excited me like warming up hours in advance of a ladle, hopping on teamspeak and talking to you, plee, all our great guys.

Joining rogue was definitely one of my favorite moments as well, a group of fun, amazing dudes and dudettes that loved having fun, red, over, dgm, force, titan, poke, noodz, shoe, odd even though we didn't play much together, fipp, basically my mentor, luffy the legend, all my rogue dudes to this day I consider you guys family and would love to have a get together some day.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

That rZ victory was special to me! I was never part of rZ, but when Zero first started playing Fortress with his buds, I came in and taught them some of the basics, every week when they would practice. Of course, I had no involvement once they got good, but it was kinda like seeing a kid you helped teach baseball to win a championship.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
dBdDale

Post by dBdDale »

All of the people i ever met on here honestly. I took 10 years or so off without a PC but im back on the grids now :)

I have many fond memories playing with folks like Arilou, Zurd, Nano, Stealth, Slyfoxx, Teatime, Ja$onG920, DarK AnGeL, Pathetique, noob7, noob13, Durka, the xZl guys, the .Freq gaggle of friends, and ./Zoidberg/ there are so many more that are escaping my memory right now, and honestly i doubt half the list would remember playing with Dale Collins/dBdDale but those interactions made up the bulk of my middle/highschool fond memories. To this day this is the only online gaming community I have ever really been a part of, dBd was the only clan I've ever been in, and I don't think I'll ever play another game the same way, with the same feelings and experiences.

I don't remember being good at this game in any one game-type, I just had so much fun coming home from school and hopping in and out of various servers, watching the banter between people, even witnessing drama play out between clans and in them.
I used to get extremely sad when i thought about this game without a pc haha. I would hop on the old .dBd| forums when they were still around and just read through archives of posts and topics. I see the new forums have been messed up (for quite some time according to what some folks told me on the grids) and I wish i could create an account there just to pop in and say "HEY TRONS BACK EVERY1!!!"

I am glad the steam release is bringing in new players, I get even more happy when i see old friends pop in :D