Bi-weekly

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Bi-weekly

Post by bilbo baggins »

Hey All.

Thought i'd come back to what started it all seeming as i've got a bit of time on my hands. but turns out not many people are around anymore. Would anyone be interested in some bi-weekly/monthly, casual get togethers for some good old fashioned fortress fun? maybe get onto discord/ts and get some nostalgia going.

Peace and love.
Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Bi-weekly

Post by 2020 »

Yes, why not?

Place is pretty empty, however.

We could move things forward a little? Rather than think we are going backwards, replaying some old track.
hold the line
TheKaras

Post by TheKaras »

Hey bilbo my dude, how's it going? Join the discord at https://discord.gg/uQUhWe
Last edited by Z-Man on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dammit, Karas.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

The real key is a wiki that works. Clearly, Z-man is busy enough that he just doesn't have the time right now to do what is necessary to turn the wiki over to Lucifer so he can fix it. I am setting up a temporary wiki just to organize meetups and tournaments. It won't be as pretty or do as much fun stuff, but it will work, for now.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

compguygene wrote:The real key is a wiki that works.
Doubt.
Ive been playing this game for years and never used the wiki. That was mostly caused because I didn't find what I was looking for there but also because I did not need it.
There were players around teaching me everything.
For tournaments there probably still is some kind of workaround.

But empty servers are empty servers. You don't want to play an online game when you're alone on the server and none is coming. Getting away from zero players is the real challenge in my opinion. A living community is what brings new players
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

niin wrote: For tournaments there probably still is some kind of workaround.
Yes, but it's a bit annoying as it's usually spread across a bunch of different websites. Not ideal.
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

[quote="aP|Nelg"
Yes, but it's a bit annoying as it's usually spread across a bunch of different websites. Not ideal.[/quote]

Cost efficiency - new wiki <-> "annoying solution"
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Nin, I understand that you have had no need for a wiki, and I would like to explain a little better why I am making a new and simplistic wiki just for tournaments. It has been my experience that many players will play the game just to be ready for the next tournament. Best example, for many years when fortress activity was very low, I would focus on playing fortress, my favorite game mode in Armagetron, the week before the Ladle every month because there would actually be people playing sumo and fort. Also, in recent times, for about 3 weeks before the last Ladle and for about a month after the last Ladle, there was actual activity. At that time I bought a domain and started to set up a wiki just for this reason. Unfortunately, I am going through some life changes that have left me little time to put into the wiki. For example, I have decided to get back into IT. So, I am currently working on my A+ certification, and plan to within the next 6 months get my Network+, Security+, and Linux Administration CompTIA Certifications so that I can get a job as a Linux administrator while I work on getting my Bachelor's degree, which will be a degree in Cybersecurity. So, I have far less time to dedicate to the wiki than I had planned. But, I expect in the next week or so I will have a very simple wiki that can work for tournaments.
This is a small, active community on Discord that you can post to and organize simple games and get some activity in servers. For instance, sumo, ctf and ctfs games are sometimes organized. Go to https://discord.gg/8DxdaV to join the actually active Discord server.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

i've been dipping onto the grid every now and again, but can't seem to get anyone out of yellow sub... Not had a good game since i've been back... :/

so im going to dedicate an hour a week on wednesday at like 7 gmt/bst/whatever british time is atm. If anyone can join that would be hella awesome and maybe we could actually get a decent sumo/fort/ctf game going....

Peace out homies :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

compguygene wrote:The real key is a wiki that works. Clearly, Z-man is busy enough that he just doesn't have the time right now to do what is necessary to turn the wiki over to Lucifer so he can fix it. I am setting up a temporary wiki just to organize meetups and tournaments. It won't be as pretty or do as much fun stuff, but it will work, for now.
Also, I'm in rehab right now, and have limited access to the internet. :) (Been here since November, first chance I've had to hit the forums)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Hey Lucifer :-) Sounds like you're doing OK given the circumstances?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Word wrote:Hey Lucifer :-) Sounds like you're doing OK given the circumstances?
Heh, at least I'm in a safe place. :) Also, sober for around 50 days now. Current discharge date should be around February 16th.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Heh, at least I'm in a safe place.
OK, I hope you mean that literally and figuratively :-). Wishing you the best.
assaindan
Average Program

Post by assaindan »

BILBO WE MISS YOU LUCIFER WE MISS YOU, actually lucifer my IGN is sain you have no idea who I am but I am long recovering addict who lost close family to overdoses and completed the 12 steps, KEEP COMING and please shoot me a message!!! id love to communicate !!!!!! keep the mind busy!!! stay strong my friend
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

So, thanks to Light's work we have a working Wiki and one tournament fully planned! Back when Fortress was going through a lull period, Epsy organized a 4v4 Tournament. It would probably be easier to get teams of 4 going. And if we do it bi-weekly for a short time, that may get people actually playing fortress again. I was thinking of setting up a server with a smaller map to make it quicker and faster action, and maybe spawns in front of the zone. Anyone want to try such a server?