Player Police 2: The Design

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Player Police 2: The Design

Post by Lucifer »

What's the config for that? I was working with what was in armathentication and didn't see anything like that. I'm using an older 0.4 branch (I'm not changing anything that could possibly conflict with the most recent 0.4 branch).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:What's the config for that? I was working with what was in armathentication and didn't see anything like that. I'm using an older 0.4 branch (I'm not changing anything that could possibly conflict with the most recent 0.4 branch).
If that was a reply to me .. We take advantage of the INVALID_COMMAND log, which I'm pretty sure is there by default, but not sure. I've almost always hosted on STY+CT servers.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

No, that was to Monkey. Your reply slipped in under my radar. Here's my response to that:
Light wrote: If police servers ran a script, it could easily be a part of that.
I don't object to setting that up and supporting it. I object to it being a requirement to subscribe to the police. To get the most servers joining, the configuration has to be as easy as possible. The harder we make it, the less we'll get independent servers into it, and we really need them for this system to work well.

It's one thing to say "If you go here, anything goes", and to say "If you go here, you get limited protection".

I want to be able to say the second thing.

However, that said, working up a /police series of commands in a script that more advanced server admins can and probably will use is a great test bed to figure out what should be directly implemented in the 0.5 line, whenever it starts.

Also, I want in 0.5 some sort of hook to add new chat commands. I really want that. :) If we had that right now, we wouldn't be having this part of this conversation.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:
Light wrote: If police servers ran a script, it could easily be a part of that.
I don't object to setting that up and supporting it. I object to it being a requirement to subscribe to the police. To get the most servers joining, the configuration has to be as easy as possible. The harder we make it, the less we'll get independent servers into it, and we really need them for this system to work well.
I guess that's our point of disagreement. I think a script would be easier, as the only config change they need is SPAWN_SCRIPT, assuming their server has PHP available already. It would take care of everything, such as the file sync, extra features, and communication between the game server and database (API) at any time.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

So far I like the proposals here. I'm a bit skeptical towards the idea of a player police, but heh, might as well try it out.

@Lucifer: I fiddled with additional access levels on my servers before; they do require minor code changes (the game as it is will not recognize anything above 20). Just needs to change an enumeration though, the rest is done automatically. Oh, and the language file to reflect the new ranks of course.

Back then, I also changed /op so it could only op to every 10th level and couldn't deop in the same "10 level group" as the one who used it. It's a bit of a hacky way to do group-like mechanics, but I think it'd work well here - make it every 5th level and admins could op to mod, but not to detective, detectives could op to rank 15 (1 below sheriff) but not to sheriff or mod, and everything below that would basically work the same as before - just with new numbers.

Edit: wrongly remembered details - looked it up
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Monkey wrote:...VOTES_CANCEL...
Lucifer wrote:What's the config for that?
Sorry, I thought that question was aimed at Light. >_<

VOTES_CANCEL is an admin command that cancels/removes any currently happening suspend/kick/whatever polls. I don't know the config for it, my best guess is simply:

Code: Select all

ACCESS_LEVEL VOTES_CANCEL 17
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Playing since December 2006
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

glad nothing got done here, as usual.

good job guys
Light

Post by Light »

LittleSteps wrote:glad nothing got done here, as usual.
lol I actually had a working test setup of this, but figured it was never gonna get used so I deleted it today. Didn't seem that the way I would have went with it is what they wanted.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

LittleSteps wrote:[ugly image of someone smiling]
Is that a picture of you?