What are you reading right now?

Anything About Anything...
niin
Average Program

What are you reading right now?

Post by niin »

Hello,
now that we have this kind of topic for music and TV shows I thought it is a good idea to make one for books too. I don't know if there is one already cause I just took a quick look. Maybe I scrolled past it :roll:

At the moment I am reading 'The Kingkiller Chronicle' by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a fantasy book.
I really like it and the writer had some good ideas.
The story is about Kote who is telling his lifestory to an annalist whose life Kote before. I won't tell anymore about that because I don't want to spoiler someone by accident :wink:

So what are you guys reading right now and which books can you suggest? I'm reading quite much and I'm always looking for a good book but it's hard to find them. (Any genre is welcome)
ppotter
Match Winner

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by ppotter »

Malazan Book of the Fallen. Also a fantasy series, it's about uh...war. As viewed from dozens, if not hundreds of different perspectives, including gods and demi-gods of the world(s).

I plan to read The Kingkiller Chronicles one day, probably when it's finished. There's too many books about to get hooked on a series without a resolution.
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

Malazan book of the fallen sounds really interesting. I haven't heard about it before but there even is a German translation of the books. In Germany the 10 books are splitted to 19 books tho.. :?

I should really wait for book series to be finished before reading too. I lately discovered that I'm waiting for 5 book series (now 6) to continue and that 1 is no more translated to German so I need to read the English ones one day :/
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I've been rocking the classics over the last several months. Amazon has a bunch of public domain books I download for free on my kindle. Of the ones I've read recently:

H.G. Wells "Time Machine"
Joseph Bedier "Tristan And Isolde"
William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Nights Dream"
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Ian McEwan, Sweet Tooth. Not sure yet if it's recommendable. And every now and then I'm reading a chapter from Lewis Mumford's "City" books. That's probably something for you, sinewav, unless you already know him. But I'd recommend it to everyone. I find it a little over the top at times (of course, he writes about historic coherences in a way that is supposed to make his own arguments look more plausible, but sometimes he doesn't seem to know exactly what he's talking about and just sees what he wants to see...still, I'd encourage everyone to give it a chance. A lot of it is incredibly clairvoyant and relevant for our future).
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

Ended with Kingkiller Chronicles today. I have read the second book (two books in German :/) in around two weeks and I'm really hyped for part 3. At least the cliffhanger isn't too bad ^.^'
Just can recommend it for everyone that likes fantasy and it is a good try if you don't like it ;)

Now starting with Malazan Book of the fallen :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote:I've been rocking the classics over the last several months. Amazon has a bunch of public domain books I download for free on my kindle. Of the ones I've read recently:

H.G. Wells "Time Machine"
Joseph Bedier "Tristan And Isolde"
William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Nights Dream"
I loved all the HG Wells stuff, even his crazy stuff.

Have you checked out any Edgar Rice Burroughs? It's racist, and mildly sexist, but considering the time period, it's easily forgivable... And the original Tarzan of the Apes is a classic. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

niin wrote:Ended with Kingkiller Chronicles today. I have read the second book (two books in German :/) in around two weeks and I'm really hyped for part 3. At least the cliffhanger isn't too bad ^.^'
Just can recommend it for everyone that likes fantasy and it is a good try if you don't like it ;)

Now starting with Malazan Book of the fallen :D
Good luck! :D As I should have mentioned in my original post, there is no introduction as such, you're thrown into the middle of the story effectively, and with so many characters and plots it's a little overwhelming to begin with, but it's worth sticking with.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Picked up for whom the bells toll yesterday. It's been a good read this far.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Currently reading "Manifold: Origin" by Stephen Baxter.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain!
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

A Judgment in Stone by Ruth Rendell. Murder novel with great characterization and dry humor.
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

ppotter wrote:Malazan Book of the Fallen. Also a fantasy series, it's about uh...war. As viewed from dozens, if not hundreds of different perspectives, including gods and demi-gods of the world(s).
I started it after a while you mentioned it here. As you said the first book was really (really really) hard to read cause there are a lot of characters appearing you don't know but the POV character knows. So it's quite confusing.
But once you survived the first book it's great. Currently reading part 14 in German (must be like the beginning of part 8 in English) and I think there are not many books ive read being close to it.
A lot of characters a lot of places and a lot of fantasy.
echo.bot
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by echo.bot »

The Molly Fyde Books
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

I'm done with reading all malazan of the fallen books I could get. There is a makeover at the moment so I have to wait for the next part till February or smth I think

It is really a great book. Especially like the mages because it's different from the usual.
Not like Harry Potter or LOTR where they just can do everything when they are a mage.