Ladle 104

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Magi
Match Winner

Ladle 104

Post by Magi »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 104

Post by Monkey »

Two days to go till the signups close and we have no teams :(
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I blame Spring Break!

Anyway, I'm available to play.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Well I have an idea for a solution to the lack of teams, since no teams are signed up. Allow players to sign up, then randomize the players into teams. It probably will result in some unbalanced teams, but then again the majority of ladles have been unbalanced by 1-2 teams for years anyways. My concern with this though is uneven amounts of players per team. Still I think random teams of players would be more fun than no teams at all

bye
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Magi wrote:Allow players to sign up, then randomize the players into teams.
We are not quite there yet, but this is something we should plan for. More importantly, we need Team Leaders because authorization plays such a big role in Ladle. An intermediate solution might be to start a list of dedicated Ladle Enthusiasts who will have persistent authority during Ladles. This would be similar to CTF Brawl's "Super Leaders" but in this case we would just extend the list of Global Moderators. Speaking of which, that list needs to be cleaned up.

This Global-Mod/Super-Leader role would be for someone who wants to field open teams and ensure that ad-hoc teams can play if formed after sign-ups close (it will happen). Switching to a Super Leader system also removes the need for server authorities to be current. Authorities only need updating when the Global Mod list changes. The community is small enough now that this should be easy to keep an eye on.

We really only need about half-a-dozen GM/SL's to make the event run smooth. This seems like an easy and flexible solution. Maybe we can try this for a couple months? I believe we will eventually reach a threshold where Ladle can be grafted onto the old #pickup system where players just meet in an IRC channel and organize the event there.

We are now in the process of "graceful degradation." Long Live Ladle!
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Well, Arma still doesn't work for me so I can't play.

@sinewav
I'm not sure if there will be enough people for Sparks and friends so I'll leave it to you as to whether or not to make that team or just to join one of the other rather empty teams.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Monkey wrote:Well, Arma still doesn't work for me so I can't play.
Can you build Virtualbox then run Arma in another OS?

Anyway, I signed up Sparks, but if we can't get at least 4 people I'll probably beg CT to play on their team.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

sinewav wrote: Can you build Virtualbox then run Arma in another OS?
I would imagine it would be far too laggy to play that way. Depending on how dedicated he is, he could always burn a iso to a USB and play on a live bootable image after he installs Armagetron (on linux).
If you PM me I could help diagnose / fix your issue, depending on what OS you use I might of had the same issue.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

sinewav wrote:Anyway, I signed up Sparks, but if we can't get at least 4 people I'll probably beg CT to play on their team.
I'll be there
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
Can you build Virtualbox then run Arma in another OS?

Anyway, I signed up Sparks, but if we can't get at least 4 people I'll probably beg CT to play on their team.
When I couldn't get arma to build in Linux, I could always just install a Windows under wine and run it fine. For about 4 years that is how I ran a trunk client.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:We are not quite there yet, but this is something we should plan for. More importantly, we need Team Leaders because authorization plays such a big role in Ladle. An intermediate solution might be to start a list of dedicated Ladle Enthusiasts who will have persistent authority during Ladles. This would be similar to CTF Brawl's "Super Leaders" but in this case we would just extend the list of Global Moderators. Speaking of which, that list needs to be cleaned up.

This Global-Mod/Super-Leader role would be for someone who wants to field open teams and ensure that ad-hoc teams can play if formed after sign-ups close (it will happen). Switching to a Super Leader system also removes the need for server authorities to be current. Authorities only need updating when the Global Mod list changes. The community is small enough now that this should be easy to keep an eye on.

We really only need about half-a-dozen GM/SL's to make the event run smooth. This seems like an easy and flexible solution. Maybe we can try this for a couple months? I believe we will eventually reach a threshold where Ladle can be grafted onto the old #pickup system where players just meet in an IRC channel and organize the event there.

We are now in the process of "graceful degradation." Long Live Ladle!
Great Idea Sine! I liked it so much, I decided to implement it.
Here is what I did.

I went through the team leaders from ladles 101, 102, 103, and 104. With the exception of Gonzap, Owned, and Kite, who don't really seem to be around, I gave every team leader USER_LEVEL 6 which combined with the change I made to the ladle84.cfg file from ACCESS_LEVEL OP 2 to ACCESS_LEVEL_OP 6 will allow our new "Super Team Leaders" to be able to /op team leaders. This will also allow Super Team Leaders the abilty to do that anytime and setup matches in Ladle servers, just like we did with the Brawl.
To see the list of Super Team Leaders just read the challenge board.
So, somebody else can do the brackets. Barring any changes, servers can be setup. Mine are up now. The wiki is updated as needed.

And as to "graceful degradation" I think we may actually be hanging on by a thread... but remember this: at least 6 long gone players I have talked to in game that stopped in to play in the last year, like GoodyGumDrops, for example, were pleasantly surprised to hear that we are still holding Ladles!
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

bye
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Ummm, NO, the brackets are NOT up! Unless you mean the bracket from like ladle 80 something.
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

Magi wrote:Brackets are up!
April Fools?
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Gz RoadRunnerz. Good Ladle, see you next month.

:)