15%
I play open
24%

Total votes: 78

Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Lucifer »

ConVicT wrote: This is exactly why everyone finds xdude so annoying; he sees that your traps are gonna be too hard, and instead, turns back.

I'd call that play cowardly.
I don't know about that. When you are the bear, and you see a bear trap, you'd generally consider it smart not to step in it, right? So, turning away from a trap you know will take you down would be prudent.

The question is: does he go on the offensive and try to get his own core dumps? Or does he spend the whole game simply avoiding conflict? (Eg. Is he Blade Runner? ;) )

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Yeah, I think even most closers would agree that xdude's style is extremely annoying (loc regularly called him a cockroach and as far as I know Phytotron doesn't think too highly of him either), but one has to admit he's good at what he does and a little smarter than those bots you don't like either (until you start to talk with him about politics, that is).
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Lucifer wrote: The question is: does he go on the offensive and try to get his own core dumps? Or does he spend the whole game simply avoiding conflict? (Eg. Is he Blade Runner? ;) )
Yes, just running the entire time.
It got to the point everyone was complaining about the deathzone appearing every round when xdude plays that we made a script to replace the deathzone at 150. Instead, at 150, the settings change - rubber goes down, speed goes up.
All just so that people wouldn't lose points as well as get bored because of him.

I've said this before; his play style is equal to an on-foot chase, where the pursued are knocking over newsstands and whatnot, in order to slow the pursuer down.
But credit where credit is due, he sparked the idea for the cops & robbers server - still in progress, so look forward to that!
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Lucifer wrote: I don't know about that. When you are the bear, and you see a bear trap, you'd generally consider it smart not to step in it, right? So, turning away from a trap you know will take you down would be prudent.
You can't really compare gaming to real life, especially from such a far-from-reality game...
IndigoChild
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by IndigoChild »

aP|Nelg wrote:
Lucifer wrote: I don't know about that. When you are the bear, and you see a bear trap, you'd generally consider it smart not to step in it, right? So, turning away from a trap you know will take you down would be prudent.
You can't really compare gaming to real life, especially from such a far-from-reality game...
Ha. Reality foes not exist. We live in a Matrix.
Not ZuLu Fam
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

ConVicT wrote:
Lucifer wrote: The question is: does he go on the offensive and try to get his own core dumps? Or does he spend the whole game simply avoiding conflict? (Eg. Is he Blade Runner? ;) )
Yes, just running the entire time.
It got to the point everyone was complaining about the deathzone appearing every round when xdude plays that we made a script to replace the deathzone at 150. Instead, at 150, the settings change - rubber goes down, speed goes up.
All just so that people wouldn't lose points as well as get bored because of him.
Definitely reminds me of Blade Runner. Which is really sad, because he had some good moves, just never the wherewithal to actually attack. I mean, what are you going to lose? It's a computer game! If you die in the game, you don't die in real life! We shortened his name to "Runner", because it was more accurate. Then I watched Stargate Atlantis and realized even that wasn't the appropriate title.

That said, it's worth noting that some opponents are easier to take out if you get them to chase you than vice versa, and that's a viable strategy when you're otherwise dueling someone of comparable dueling strength: change the nature of the fight to something where you're dictating moves to your opponent.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

In Mudpuddle, xdude never stood a chance against veteran CTF players, myself included. The physics are nearly identical except for the rubber. CTF players spent so much time trying to encircle and squeeze opponents because that's pretty much the only way to get a kill on a server with such high rubber. I've never found killing xdude a problem. He's annoying yes, but it's funny to watch him complain when he can't run away.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:He's annoying yes, but it's funny to watch him complain when he can't run away.
Yep, he even does that in advance now...as soon as I enter the server he'll note how low ping is. :roll:
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

What the hell is an xdude, does he even have a ladle win
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye