The fear.

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

The fear.

Post by /dev/null »

You have it xdude, you spend more time whinging about how I dont care about your fear than most people spend on a wife. Lets get married.
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Re: The fear.

Post by [Anonymous] »

Go to rehab you drunk
Last edited by Z-Man on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: snip
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sign.jpg
sign.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
I also found this when I was looking for something pointless. Am I right? :lol:
large.jpg
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:I also found this when I was looking for something pointless. Am I right? :lol:
[img]http://forums3.armagetronad.net/download/file.php?id=13933&t=1&sid=a477e3fede32a55f835692a97fb8fa7d[/img]
Ahhh yes. :P
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

xdude, dont be scared, neither of those people like me, but evidently, you are a complete <cat> to them as well.

<Wolf> up <dog>.
Last edited by Z-Man on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fun with sexism.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

You wanna know what has sharp edges? Especially when it crashes
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 84#p276062
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

really zman? you are gonna play captain carebear?

You might as well ban me now then, because im not gonna play that ******* game.

Also thanks for adding a sexism quote in there for no damn reason.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Relax man. You're sense of humor translates better on the Grid than on these forums (it actually serves a purpose there, here not so much).
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

Surprised this <snip> didn't get a warning. Ban this <snip>
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote: You're sense of humor translates better on the Grid
No it doesn't, it's exactly the same level of idiocy.
sinewav wrote:it actually serves a purpose there
Being what exactly?

Also:
What I think sinewav should've wrote:Relax man. You're sexist humor translates better on the Grid than on these forums (it actually serves no purpose there either except letting people know you're sexist, but it's expected of you).
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:
sinewav wrote:it actually serves a purpose there
Being what exactly?
When I say "sense of humor" I mean the way someone carries themselves; a general attitude. Most Arma servers are full of twerps who just noodle about and chat about the stupidest crap imaginable. It's not a good environment for people who want to play, who actually want a challenge. Being insufferably combative on The Grid makes you a target. People will play harder against you for being boisterous. The net effect is a more exciting game for those with "big mouths."

I know this from experience. It works. Reliably. (A common response to this is "well, I just ignore boisterous people." Great, but that still doesn't change the fact that being a jerk in-game will often make people play harder against you. In a game with no difficulty setting you are forced to create your own difficulty by any means necessary.)
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote: Most Arma servers are full of twerps who just noodle about and chat about the stupidest crap imaginable. It's not a good environment for people who want to play, who actually want a challenge.
Well I have to strongly disagree. Pointless chat (maybe pointless to you, exciting chat to others), makes the game what it is. I'd say around half the players play tron just to chat, and that isn't even slightly exaggerating.
But, then again, you host single player servers exclusively.
sinewav wrote:Being insufferably combative on The Grid makes you a target.
If you mean meatfudger, yes people see him as a target, but not because he's combative, it's because he's insufferable.
sinewav wrote: Great, but that still doesn't change the fact that being a jerk in-game will often make people play harder against you.
Being better than someone and they know you're better, makes them play worse against you. I know from experience, it's happened to me. I say to myself, oh shit, this guy's good, give my A-game, and then it makes me panic and I die stupidly.
sinewav wrote:In a game with no difficulty setting you are forced to create your own difficulty by any means necessary.
I do, it's called "mazing" for the trapper, and "tracing" for the trapped (or, it is to me). Stab-run is just the worst play ever. It's like when someone is being chased in a movie and they knock over barrels and bins, crates (whatever), to slow down their pursuer in order to make more of a gap between them, it's "scared".
P.S. There is no difficulty level, you're either good or you aren't. Meatfudger is like a talkative AI :roll:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:Pointless chat (maybe pointless to you, exciting chat to others), makes the game what it is. I'd say around half the players play tron just to chat, and that isn't even slightly exaggerating.
Saying chat makes the game is rather subjective, but I'll concede that many people share your view. Still, with half of players using Arma as a chat room that doesn't paint a very good picture for the game (though this is a whole conversation in itself).
ConVicT wrote:...you host single player servers exclusively.
Just a clarification, I do not host single player games exclusively. While MAZE-A-TRON is an exclusively single-player game, the other games I've created are multi-player with a strong single-player component. There is a difference and it is part of good game design. If you have fun playing a game alone then it will be more fun with others.
ConVicT wrote:Being better than someone when they know it makes them play worse against you.
Maybe. But the alternative is usually people noodling and not playing at all. If I had to choose between sloppy players and yellow triangles, I'll pick the former.
ConVicT wrote:Stab-run is just the worst play ever.
Agreed, but that's not what I'm talking about. Mazing is just one skill that is part of a larger gameplay landscape. Years ago, there was an apt comparison between Tron and fencing (though this easily crosses into the open/closed argument). The point being, there are a lot of interesting game mechanics to explore if one desires to become a well-rounded player. If I want to get on my soapbox I could say that most servers out there cater to a limited set of mechanics. Many server owners don't spend the time to find balance with the settings and most players simply gravitate toward whatever is popular.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I only have one question.
sinewav wrote:Saying chat makes the game is rather subjective, but I'll concede that many people share your view..
Do you think the game's player base would be greater, or fewer without the chat function?
I think the answer's obvious, which is why "many people" are right.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:Do you think the game's player base would be greater, or fewer without the chat function? I think the answer's obvious, which is why "many people" are right.
I don't believe it is obvious. Did you know for a long stretch of several years, Flash Cycle had just as many active players as Armagetron? (Today it's only slightly smaller.) There is no chat and there aren't even cycle models — it's just lines on the screen. Another chat-free example is Descent:Underground, a new game I pledged to during a Kickstarter campaign. They are in alpha testing and their servers are jam packed. There is currently no chat function and little talk from the developers about it. Even the original Descent game is still played online 20+ years later and the in-game chat function is minimal at best.

Yes, chat enhances the community,* but that's not what makes the game. Hundreds and even thousands of hours of play are needed to reach the skill level of Arma's best players. It's not chat that keeps those people playing (well, maybe for perpetual n00bs it is).

*This community, you know, the one full of assholes.