Meta (Split from "Just in case...")

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Meta (Split from "Just in case...")

Post by ConVicT »

Really, you can do that?
What's the point in ever locking anything that goes off topic :o
Baffled.

-If you were a stock taker at a supermarket, would you close up early so you don't have to shelf anymore milk?
-If you were a toilet cleaner, would you cover up the shit instead of cleaning it?
Do your job -_-, it's not even a hard job, these forums are dead.
Z-Man wrote:I don't know about the details about <snip><anyone's*> interactions with <snip><anyone*> on the grid and don't have a particular desire to read through hundreds of pages of possibly non-existing chat logs to find out.)
Seriously though, I wonder how you know anything that goes on.
I, for one, have never seen you once in-game.
I mean, you talk about global moderation and stuff, are you a candidate?

This is not to say that all of this shouldn't be snipped, but I've saw it happen plenty when it shouldn't have been.
After that snip that lets me know you can, just seems f*cking lazy.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Just in case you think it's no big deal

Post by Hoax »

Quit acting like Z-Man gets paid to moderate. Be grateful for the transparency

OP's raised the issue and had their say, any further discussion should be about the server moderation solutions mentioned, probably in a new thread.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Hoax wrote:Quit acting like Z-Man gets paid to moderate. Be grateful for the transparency
Really what you're saying here is that he could just as easily be unclear?
Yes, he's being clear, clear that he's a lazy moderator.
Hoax wrote:any further discussion should be about the server moderation
Unless you agree that he has no real influence on the grid or otherwise, then I can only say that what I said is about server moderation.

All I can gather from you post is that you haven't read a f*cking thing, so, refrain from posting, please.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Convict, there are a few reasons why this moderation style is effective and not lazy. It's a popular style I've seen many places. It's the opposite of lazy because it requires a Moderator to pay attention, read everything, and evaluate the flow of the conversation.

The general policy on Armagetron's forums is to avoid locking whenever possible. Generally, threads only get locked when they fall into a dozen pages of circular reasoning after the participants have exhausted all their ideas. Better than locking is removing/splitting side conversations that do not add to the topic or fail to evolve reasonably into a related subject. And of course, better still is to preserve as much as possible and only snip out pointless personal attacks or sensitive information.

As I look over this thread I see it is moderated perfectly by a Moderator who is paying attention to the conversation and doing much more work than simply locking threads. There are standards here, and there is a philosophy behind the way this forum is run. Part of that philosophy is, this website is one piece of Armagetron's documentation and also highlights how some decisions get made. There is high tolerance for thread necromancy and the percentage of locked threads is very, very low.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Double post since I forgot to mention:

Z-Man occasionally plays the game under alias. However, his main domain is up here where development happens, not down there on the grid where the little kids pull each other's hair. We are a self-moderating community and his presence in servers would add very little. He's a "hands-off" guy and only gets involved in this bullshit when he's forced to, and every time he does, it takes away from valuable development time (and family time).
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

How did you post, then post, then edit your first post but it doesn't say edited?
I swear this has happened before...
:/
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Convict, this game has the most fair development team I've seen in any game. All my forum bans and post removals/edits were deserved.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

ConVicT wrote:How did you post, then post, then edit your first post but it doesn't say edited?
I swear this has happened before...
:/
Pretty sure as long as you edit it within a certain time frame it doesn't say it was edited. I messed the ladle 99 url formatting up like 3 times the other day and as far as I can tell it doesn't say edited.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Vogue wrote:Convict, this game has the most fair development team I've seen in any game. All my forum bans and post removals/edits were deserved.
I mustn't forget to quote that next time you ask for the ban to be lifted. ;)
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Can't tell if stupid or trolling.... but I clearly meant FORUM bans and the FORUM admins/mods (basically being Tank, Z-Man, ex-mod Lucifer etc).
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

My point was really simple.
If he can just delete posts like that, there is no need for a thread to ever go off topic and get locked.
And I was slightly drunk, so apologies if it came out a bit cheeky :)
sinewav wrote:"" "" "" ""
I understand.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Vogue wrote:Can't tell if stupid or trolling.... but I clearly meant FORUM bans and the FORUM admins/mods (basically being Tank, Z-Man, ex-mod Lucifer etc).
Trolling. Anyway, I'll just cover that up. :P
All my [...] bans [...] were deserved.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Word wrote:
Vogue wrote:Can't tell if stupid or trolling.... but I clearly meant FORUM bans and the FORUM admins/mods (basically being Tank, Z-Man, ex-mod Lucifer etc).
Trolling. Anyway, I'll just cover that up. :P
All my [...] bans [...] were deserved.
:lol:
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Convict wrote:I was slightly drunk, so apologies if it came out a bit cheeky :)
It came out as down right rude, not cheeky. If you aren't a nice drunk then don't post while under the influence. Despite your apology, I feel some damage has been done.
Z-Man is, like the rest of us, not perfect, but he does a pretty good job of moderating these forums and is a well respected individual. If you feel he has done something wrong then say it in an appropriate manner.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.
Playing since December 2006
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Advocating the kind of moderation that would have removed you from the equation already with that attitude :roll:
Monkey wrote: It came out as down right rude, not cheeky. If you aren't a nice drunk then don't post while under the influence. Despite your apology, I feel some damage has been done.
Z-Man is, like the rest of us, not perfect, but he does a pretty good job of moderating these forums and is a well respected individual. If you feel he has done something wrong then say it in an appropriate manner.
For real