3 month review (forum split)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Should Competition subforum be brought back here?

Yes
76%
No
18%
I don't care
5%

Total votes: 55

/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Re: 3 month review (forum split)

Post by /dev/null »

Vogue wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and be realistic here instead of delusional: this game is gonna die and there's nothing you can do to stop it. You won't get enough new players to replace the ones quitting. However, you can make it easier for us oldies by opening the competitions subforum... splitting it was dumb.
You should search the forums for tron is dying/dead/doomed. Even I have said it before, its not true. As for vets quitting, I dont see that too often really, and there is a pretty solid core of extremely good people across all game types that are welcoming to new players.

Tron has never had a very big playerbase, and I think us adding more game modes actually hurt it a little, since it spreads the available players over more servers. Used to be there was only really two or three options at most for servers that were worth a shit, now there are easily 10, depending on your choice of game modes or lack thereof.

I do think a forum split was a terrible idea, you should have just gave them a subforum in the server section like we used to do. Granted it doesnt see a lot of traffic, but if its for events it might, **** if I know.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

hate to say i told you so, but i told you so. the damage has been done and this game/gamemode has been dead for almost a year now

next time listen to the community instead of putting incompetent people in charge of things they have nothing to do with

#Trump2016
Oparachukwu
Average Program

Post by Oparachukwu »

Vogue wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and be realistic here instead of delusional: this game is gonna die and there's nothing you can do to stop it. You won't get enough new players to replace the ones quitting. However, you can make it easier for us oldies by opening the competitions subforum... splitting it was dumb.
We just did pickup fort. The firstpickup fort match since 3 months and 2 weeks ago. So suck it.
Karma wrote:Opara : Joined dL in the middle of 2011 , Left in the beginning of 2012 , Clan less atm
More info : started out as a trainee. Then got way better. Somehow He is really good at fort lol
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

kyle wrote:So after 3 months, I really do not like the split of the tourney forums from this forum. The last 2 months, I've pretty much so forgotten about the ladle until the morning of. It's just another layer of forums that this small community does not need. I don't know how the others feel, but I think it should be back here again.
Do you seriously think any devs/admins/whatever will listen to the community? OF COURSE NOT.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

aP|Nelg wrote:
kyle wrote:So after 3 months, I really do not like the split of the tourney forums from this forum. The last 2 months, I've pretty much so forgotten about the ladle until the morning of. It's just another layer of forums that this small community does not need. I don't know how the others feel, but I think it should be back here again.
Do you seriously think any devs/admins/whatever will listen to the community? OF COURSE NOT.
Apparently you did not read the full topic before posting
Z-Man wrote:
[Anonymous] wrote:Tron as a community rely on the devs to much; We could push Tron to new limits if we work together. Many of us have different talents in different fields
Well, the split was trying to promote precisely that; put the competition side of the forums more in community hands. I still think it could work and was a good idea at the core, but it can't work against the apparent resistance of the community. And, well, I almost forgot about the one or other Ladle myself. So my Triumvirate vote goes:

Reintegrate the competition fourms. 'twas a nice experiment, but I don't think we can wait any longer for the first potential benefits to materialize. Maybe give Light more admin powers here instead?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

aP|Nelg wrote:OF COURSE NOT.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I get to say I told you so, too, heh. That's ok, I'll throw in a vote to EITHER bring them back, or someone who cares enough to do so put in the work to integrate the logins and integrate the foreign forums with these (so that people here would use both at the same time).

If someone doesn't want to do that level of integration, then I say bring them back. Competition participation increases when casual players that aren't that interested are still exposed to the fun of the competitions casually. You'll attract new players to the competitions that way, as long as we're getting newer players registering here in the first place, of course (which is all stuff I said when the move was made ;) ).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
kyle

Post by kyle »

Lucifer wrote:I get to say I told you so, too, heh. That's ok, I'll throw in a vote to EITHER bring them back, or someone who cares enough to do so put in the work to integrate the logins and integrate the foreign forums with these (so that people here would use both at the same time).
I think we need a better way to authenticate before we do that. plus the new form has the integration for account creation. So really more or less we don't want another forum to goto.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

kyle wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:
Apparently you did not read the full topic before posting
Z-Man wrote:
[Anonymous] wrote:Tron as a community rely on the devs to much; We could push Tron to new limits if we work together. Many of us have different talents in different fields
Well, the split was trying to promote precisely that; put the competition side of the forums more in community hands. I still think it could work and was a good idea at the core, but it can't work against the apparent resistance of the community. And, well, I almost forgot about the one or other Ladle myself. So my Triumvirate vote goes:

Reintegrate the competition fourms. 'twas a nice experiment, but I don't think we can wait any longer for the first potential benefits to materialize. Maybe give Light more admin powers here instead?
I don't think Nelg meant moderators.
I think he just meant something along the lines of what I meant when I said:
ConVicT wrote:
Everyone on forums wrote:Yes, it should be moved back here.
I guess all we're waiting on is for someone to give a shit.
Which as it goes, Z-Man agrees, and he's not done anything which says to me that he can't.
We can just wait a year or so and it'll be back to normal, but with less players.

I mean, this game is thriving, not like we're in any rush...
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Meh. It was fun while it lasted. Come join me and have a blast on World of Tanks :)
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

ConVicT wrote: Which as it goes, Z-Man agrees, and he's not done anything which says to me that he can't.
Well, I did not bother trying to change anything because our political structure demands another Triumvirate member to agree. I read Lucifer's post as agreement; the account integration is as good as it can get, realistically.
So I checked now. Yup, can't do a thing. Only full admins can.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:
ConVicT wrote: Which as it goes, Z-Man agrees, and he's not done anything which says to me that he can't.
Well, I did not bother trying to change anything because our political structure demands another Triumvirate member to agree. I read Lucifer's post as agreement; the account integration is as good as it can get, realistically.
So I checked now. Yup, can't do a thing. Only full admins can.
Yeah. Integrating any more would leave security holes just waiting to allow account hijacking. I don't blame tank for what he tried to do, actually I agree with it but as far as a small community happiness level goes he has to either cave or wait for them to get over it and realize it dont change all that much. For what most people use the forums for here that complain about it could simply use the other forums for about everything. I assume tank would be happy with that as he seemed to want things more development oriented here, but they don't seem to want to bother because change is always bad ...

In case things don't get changed back for yuns, maybe you could give some ideas as to how to make the best of what you have. If you advertise your tournaments a little I think people would learn to look there instead in no time. You just have to try.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I think the lack of advertisement on these forums for the new split was kind of bad. There are people who I've talked to just recently that didn't even know about the forums split and asked me when it happened. At this point of the game's lifespan, I don't see the need for a second forums, maybe 5 years ago? Maybe 10? But really I don't see how doing it now helps anyone at all, unless the goal is to further decrease activity on both forums by splitting the community.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
S0lutai
Average Program

Post by S0lutai »

/dev/null wrote:
You should search the forums for tron is dying/dead/doomed. Even I have said it before, its not true. As for vets quitting, I dont see that too often really, and there is a pretty solid core of extremely good people across all game types that are welcoming to new players.

Tron has never had a very big playerbase, and I think us adding more game modes actually hurt it a little, since it spreads the available players over more servers. Used to be there was only really two or three options at most for servers that were worth a shit, now there are easily 10, depending on your choice of game modes or lack thereof.

I do think a forum split was a terrible idea, you should have just gave them a subforum in the server section like we used to do. Granted it doesnt see a lot of traffic, but if its for events it might, **** if I know.
I kinda agree with liz here, in the end most of the players around might as well just quit and leave tron, with a few coming by and thinking "oh well no one plays anymore" and just leave for good again. Splitting forums did really hurt the already wounded community of this game.

I mean really we're calling a community core about 10-15 players that still play on regular basis, I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. Are you really defending a community that has around the same amount of players as a small clan on league or dota or whatever? eh... no, just no.

And yeah instead of making this kind of threads (with useless topics IMHO) make some voting that actually make any difference I mean we´re still discussing a forum split that was months ago?, damn. The amount of people that wanted the split in the first place were a minority, facts. Make some voting like "Who's here still and still cares about this game" and so on.

Take away happy fun time and you lose about 40% of this "core community", lol.

And yes I agree with someone saying we rely a lot on devs. And there's nothing wrong with that, if we actually HAD DEVELOPERS. There's like 2 of them that are active on the forums. I had a game running I would definitely give a damn about this fine game, that has entertained me for quite some time. I get we all have jobs and family, but seriously has no one ever thought "oh damn this game seems to slowly losing their player base, let's do something about it, yes it's a free game, but that's not an excuse to not give a sh*t.

Oh but no the only thing we get are this kind of changes like forum splitting and players getting banned, oh dear lord. And no, I'm not offending anyone, if developers were doing their jobs I would praise the job, but that is not likely to happen is it?

Stop this madness and save tron, pretty please?
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
kyle

Post by kyle »

S0lutai wrote: And no, I'm not offending anyone, if developers were doing their jobs I would praise the job, but that is not likely to happen is it?
So developers are not anyone?

Comments like this is what make developers not give a shit more and more. Always getting complaints about how this should be done or that should be done, Ever wonder if people like you are the reason developers don't care anymore? People complaining about how bad 0.4 is, or how they should be doing more and more, when in reality they have lives now, they cannot develop all the time.

What we really need are more young programmers ready to step up and program the game. We need to have a slightly better way for them to provide clean patches. I read that we can convert our bazaar to git, and git has some nice ways we can cherrypick changes from other branches a lot easier.

This may be nice, but if the community does not want 0.4, then why bother?