3 month review (forum split)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Should Competition subforum be brought back here?

Yes
76%
No
18%
I don't care
5%

Total votes: 55

kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

3 month review (forum split)

Post by kyle »

So after 3 months, I really do not like the split of the tourney forums from this forum. The last 2 months, I've pretty much so forgotten about the ladle until the morning of. It's just another layer of forums that this small community does not need. I don't know how the others feel, but I think it should be back here again.
Last edited by kyle on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: 3 month review (forum split)

Post by ConVicT »

This part of the forums is definitely dead, but, to be honest it's been going that way for a while.
Couldn't really say whether it's down to the split or not.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I think the split is hurting the community more than the drama was ever doing, the size of tournaments has been shrinking ever since the split
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

I don't even know how people thought it was a good idea to begin with. Completely agree with kyle.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

There used to be lively discussions before and after Ladles, and many people would rate the servers. Now, not so much. Please return the competitions subforum to this forum.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Is it really the subforums' fault? I haven't played in a while, but I think moving it back here wouldn't make a huge difference. There must be other reasons (summer, the kind of servers that are currently most prominent on the list etc., the number of popular sites that link to the game?).
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Lots of tronners still don't even know of Comps forum existence, and just look at the signups for last few sumo tourneys, we get - barely - 32 people to play. You can see more playing on Empha's any afternoon.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I would like to propose a true split test of the comps forum.

Let's organize 2 identical sumo tournaments, played on different Sundays. If one that is organized through the competitions subforum here gets way more sign-ups, perhaps we could give serious reconsideration to bringing the competitions subforum back to this forum.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

compguygene wrote:I would like to propose a true split test of the comps forum.

Let's organize 2 identical sumo tournaments, played on different Sundays. If one that is organized through the competitions subforum here gets way more sign-ups, perhaps we could give serious reconsideration to bringing the competitions subforum back to this forum.
Fair but I think it's also an overwhelming factor. Consider that we normally have two tournaments a month as it is. Adding a third might be interesting and all but if they are the same game mode they lose their value. Sbt is typically more popular than tst, wst,and 1v1 modes.

Personally I disliked the split but dealt with it because of the fact it was something that was forced upon it. At this point I'm lucky to check forums once a week because it's just not worth my time anymore.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Zenith
Average Program

Post by Zenith »

I think the split didn't really help anything and made things worse. I liked being able to come here to learn about competitions.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Truthfully, I forgot the Ladle existed over the last two/three months. I probably would've gotten on and played/spectated for both of the last two months had they been advertised here. I haven't been too busy, I just don't ever check the competitions forum.

Although I don't normally look out for the ladle and try to play in it, having seen the posts here would have reminded me of its existence and I probably would've said "well, shit, I might as well play"

I never really liked the idea of the split to begin with. When new players download the game they sign up for this forum. There's no constant reminder/advertisement saying that competitions are on a different forum.

Essentially, we'd have to get a flashy website with a visually pleasing and helpfully designed layout with a clear advertisement for the competitions forum.

I've always liked websites with this sort of layout.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Surprisingly, I have completely forgotten about Ladle since the move. The only one I remembered was 94 because tRonPaul sent me a message on facebook asking me to sub for him a few hours before. I was like "oh yeah, this is the first Sunday, right?" Of course, I'm just now starting to find a little time to play this game again, so I might be up for next Ladle if anyone needs a player (probably Ww).
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I have to agree with Kyle et al, i.e. I think the split is detrimental to this game and its community.
Playing since December 2006
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Well, if this were a poll (prolly should'a been), It's clear what to do.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Now that there has been some sort of discussion, poll added.