Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growing

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growi

Post by Ratchet »

Magi wrote:
ConVicT wrote:And replace the crappy start-up music?
Actually, all the sound files, I feel like I'm in a beehive on that version.
I don't mind the start up music, although there is a music option in it but I've never figured out how to actually get that to work with my own music, the noise the game makes when you turn is torture though and I have tron muted for it

I sound like a broken record here because of how much I emphasize this, and I don't really know where to properly request it.

If 0.4 becomes the next biggest thing, can someone please teach me how to get the 0.2.8.3.2 sounds on 0.4? Pretty please? The sound is atrocious and, after years of playing with the same sounds, I don't really think I can get used to the click-y clank-y sound of 0.4 :(
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Ratchet wrote:I don't really know where to properly request it.
yeah if only we had an entire subforum dedicated to these things
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ratchet wrote:
Magi wrote:
ConVicT wrote:And replace the crappy start-up music?
Actually, all the sound files, I feel like I'm in a beehive on that version.
I don't mind the start up music, although there is a music option in it but I've never figured out how to actually get that to work with my own music, the noise the game makes when you turn is torture though and I have tron muted for it

I sound like a broken record here because of how much I emphasize this, and I don't really know where to properly request it.

If 0.4 becomes the next biggest thing, can someone please teach me how to get the 0.2.8.3.2 sounds on 0.4? Pretty please? The sound is atrocious and, after years of playing with the same sounds, I don't really think I can get used to the click-y clank-y sound of 0.4 :(
Submit your own sounds.

Seriously. You think MY music sucks? Submit your own. Show me something better.

And don't whine while you're doing it.

Oh wait, you don't play an instrument? That's fine. Find music that is available under a licence that permits us to distribute it with the game.

Can't do that? Then SUFFER.

I made the intro music in about two hours. How much time have you spent making music for the game?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

The music is fine...it's the noise your light cycle makes every time you turn, so after about the 20th turn you want to rip your ear drums out...or you know, mute your client. From what I've seen it's the vast majority of players that dislike the turning noise on the 4.0 client, so I don't think it's something to just be overlooked and say "oh well it's just one or two people, whatever"
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Magi nailed it.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

If any of you want replacement sounds, I made dozens.

The 0.4x mix of sounds needs to match the 0.2x branch, or at least come closer. The cycle engine is much too quiet.

Since I've been writing tons of music lately I would be into making tracks for Arma, again (here is the first attempt from 2009). Although, lately I feel like doing more "classic" game music with either General MIDI or Sound Tracker technology.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Does 0.4 handle sounds the same way as all previous versions, as in using cycturn.wav, et al, and placing them in the same directory (which, not incidentally, can be treated and distributed the same as moviepacks)?

If so, as sinewav alluded to, you can easily replace those yourself. I never liked the default sounds, going back to 0.2.6. They're really harsh. So I always replaced them, and you can read how I sourced most of them in my replies in the thread sinewav linked to.

That said, it's been a long time since I've had the in-game sound enabled at all. That's your other option: just turn all sounds off.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

what kind of douchenozzle plays this game with the sound on?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I do, but it's always muffled by music.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Lucifer wrote:Submit your own sounds.

Seriously. You think MY music sucks? Submit your own. Show me something better.

And don't whine while you're doing it.

Oh wait, you don't play an instrument? That's fine. Find music that is available under a licence that permits us to distribute it with the game.

Can't do that? Then SUFFER.

I made the intro music in about two hours. How much time have you spent making music for the game?
Gee, don't get offended so easily :)

I don't give two shits about the intro music. Fortunately, it's only there for a few seconds. I care more about the in-game sounds that the cycle makes. I'd also like to point out that I didn't demand you "fix" it, rather I asked that someone let me know what needs to be done to revert the changes.

And, for the record, I liked the game better without music. Why would I submit music to be included? :roll:
Magi wrote: The music is fine...it's the noise your light cycle makes every time you turn, so after about the 20th turn you want to rip your ear drums out...or you know, mute your client. From what I've seen it's the vast majority of players that dislike the turning noise on the 4.0 client, so I don't think it's something to just be overlooked and say "oh well it's just one or two people, whatever"
Agreed.
Phytotron wrote:Does 0.4 handle sounds the same way as all previous versions, as in using cycturn.wav, et al, and placing them in the same directory (which, not incidentally, can be treated and distributed the same as moviepacks)?

If so, as sinewav alluded to, you can easily replace those yourself. I never liked the default sounds, going back to 0.2.6. They're really harsh. So I always replaced them, and you can read how I sourced most of them in my replies in the thread sinewav linked to.

That said, it's been a long time since I've had the in-game sound enabled at all. That's your other option: just turn all sounds off.
I'm not much of an expert on how tron treats sounds -- what I can tell you is that the 0.2.8.3.2 Program Files/Sounds folder only contains "cyclrun.wav" and "expl.wav"

On the other hand, 0.4's Sound folder contains "1voicemale.ogg" "2voicemale.ogg" "3voicemale.ogg" "announcerGO.ogg" "cycle_turn.ogg" "cyclrun.ogg" "cyclrun.wav" "expl.ogg" "grind.ogg" "zone_spawn.ogg"

This discrepancy is what prevents any attempt of simply copying the contents over and pasting them into the 0.4 sounds folder. I've tried it before and to no avail. If anyone has any other ideas let me know :)
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Ratchet wrote: On the other hand, 0.4's Sound folder contains "1voicemale.ogg" "2voicemale.ogg" "3voicemale.ogg" "announcerGO.ogg" "cycle_turn.ogg" "cyclrun.ogg" "cyclrun.wav" "expl.ogg" "grind.ogg" "zone_spawn.ogg"
I f***ing hate that 3..2..1... I had forgotten all about it. That's what I'd have asked to be changed, if there's gonna be changes, and the turn sound of course but mainly the 3.2.1, because if there are short rounds, it can get really irritating. Only ever been useful to me one time in fort when I ran to make coffee because I died first and thought the round would take a while, then I heard "THREE, TWO, ONE, WHISTLE!"

I've not played too much on 0.4 (because of the sounds!), but spawning zones make a sound? I've never ever heard it, and I was playing 0.4 when I played CTWF; lot's of spawning zones there.

Also, there are other sounds, which are: default.m3u, doIknowyou.ogg, fortresswalk.aatrack, fortresswalk.ogg, titletrack.ogg, when.ogg.

Just listened to them all again and the explosion sound is just as facked up as the rest.
Play 0.4 on mute for now!
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

ConVicT wrote:
Ratchet wrote: On the other hand, 0.4's Sound folder contains "1voicemale.ogg" "2voicemale.ogg" "3voicemale.ogg" "announcerGO.ogg" "cycle_turn.ogg" "cyclrun.ogg" "cyclrun.wav" "expl.ogg" "grind.ogg" "zone_spawn.ogg"
I f***ing hate that 3..2..1... I had forgotten all about it. That's what I'd have asked to be changed, if there's gonna be changes, and the turn sound of course but mainly the 3.2.1, because if there are short rounds, it can get really irritating. Only ever been useful to me one time in fort when I ran to make coffee because I died first and thought the round would take a while, then I heard "THREE, TWO, ONE, WHISTLE!"

Also, there are other sounds, which are: default.m3u, doIknowyou.ogg, fortresswalk.aatrack, fortresswalk.ogg, titletrack.ogg, when.ogg.

Just listened to them all again and the explosion sound is just as facked up as the rest.
Play 0.4 on mute for now!

Ah, for as long as I could remember I have been using 0.4 Armagetron Advanced completely without sound by turning the sound output off due to the enjoyment of listening to music while mindlessly playing, but just recently I have been using the sound.

I agree with you for the 3...2...1.. thing which is why I commented these lines in eSoundMixer.cpp

Code: Select all

m_SoundEffects[ANOUNCER_1].LoadWaveFile(vpath.GetReadPath("sound/1voicemale.ogg") );
m_SoundEffects[ANOUNCER_2].LoadWaveFile(vpath.GetReadPath("sound/2voicemale.ogg") );
m_SoundEffects[ANOUNCER_3].LoadWaveFile(vpath.GetReadPath("sound/3voicemale.ogg") );
And any other sound I did not like. It was truly the repetitiveness of hearing this that frustrated me enough to finding it in the code and commenting it. The only sound I hear from my Armagetron Advanced client is the engine and the custom music replacing doIknowyou.ogg, fortresswalk.aatrack, fortresswalk.ogg, titletrack.ogg, when.ogg.

I didn't see a way to disable the music and not the cycle nosies so I also added in my client a way to turn off the music and not the cycle sounds simply because music_volume does not work.

ConVicT wrote:I've not played too much on 0.4 (because of the sounds!), but spawning zones make a sound? I've never ever heard it, and I was playing 0.4 when I played CTWF; lot's of spawning zones there.
Yeah there are another lines in the code which allows a sound to be played when zones spawn and several other things.

m_SoundEffects[ZONE_SPAWN].LoadWaveFile(vpath.GetReadPath("sound/zone_spawn.ogg") );
As for the clanky turning sound, I have never heard this because only the engine seemed to work on my client but then again I am using an older build.
Phytotron wrote:Does 0.4 handle sounds the same way as all previous versions, as in using cycturn.wav, et al, and placing them in the same directory (which, not incidentally, can be treated and distributed the same as movie packs)?
I do not know about the previous versions of tron but if you make a "moviesounds" folder in %appdata% / Armagetron Advanced then put an engine.wav it will run what is in that folder with the correct name. This can be found in the gCycle.cpp

static eLegacyWavData cycle_run("moviesounds/engine.wav","sound/cyclrun.wav");

Or in my case (Mac OS X) you will put the file here:

/Users/whoami/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/moviesounds

Wouldn't a nice way to fix this be by making users have the ability to change the music in the folder without needing to recompile and using what I believe exist (movie sounds) to change the sound of their cycle?
Last edited by LittleSteps on Tue May 12, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Empty

Post by Empty »

//spam ignore or possibly delete?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:Does 0.4 handle sounds the same way as all previous versions, as in using cycturn.wav, et al, and placing them in the same directory (which, not incidentally, can be treated and distributed the same as moviepacks)?
Officially, the sounds haven't changed, there's only been sounds added. Unofficially, there never was a separate cycle motor sound, and when I put in the SDL_Mixer stuff, I needed one. So I followed Z-man's instructions to manually create it, and I may not have done so quite perfectly.

And yeah, the intent is that there will be config items to turn off groups of sounds, and config items for each sound that will turn off only that sound. So the announcer can be turned off. :) (I'm considering removing him entirely, at least the sounds themselves, because so often when I play it goes "Three.......Two-one! Whistle!")

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:...I'm considering removing him entirely, at least the sounds themselves, because so often when I play it goes Three.......Two-one! Whistle!
From a UX standpoint I think audio signals for 3-2-1-start are very important, though I don't think the announcer and whistle are the best choices. Since these events are highly repetitive, the sounds should be more understated and subtle, but there nonetheless. Same with all the other proposed audio events (zone collapse, death/kill specific sounds, etc...). I can fill pages and pages on this forum about how important audio is to video games, but maybe you don't want to get me started.... :P