Compiling Issue? - Mac

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Compiling Issue? - Mac

Post by LittleSteps »

Hello again, ever since I was not able to find an answer to compiling the styct+ap source code, I have since then moved back to 0.4. Although, for several months, I started having trouble compiling Armagetron Advanced when trying to open the application.

When I compile Armagetron Advanced with several different versions of 0.4 ( even the latest ) the compiling seems to succed as it usually did, but now when opening the application it opens and closes instantly.

I cannot find the source of this issue, I have updated auto-tools, and recompiled as well as download DLH's os-x-toolkit multiple times compiling Armagetron Advanced with downloading the newest source of 0.4 from BZR.

I have talked about this problem several times with Kyle but found no resolution to this issue. I do not know of a good application debugger for mac nor know how to use gdb for mac because of how running the application is different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, below is how I compile my application and even further down is my mac specifications, I don't think anything would mater besides the Mac OS X version though.

Compiling - Through the terminal ( as you would on linux )

Code: Select all

cd 0.4
./bootstrap.sh
mkdir build; cd build
../configure --with-os-x-toolkit=/path/to/os-x-toolkit
make install
Mac Information;
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.9.5
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Compiling Issue? - Mac

Post by /dev/null »

whats it spew if you run said compile from the terminal? Thats likely to be far more useful than a standard set of compile commands. Although, why does your compiler give no output? Is that just a mac thing?
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

/dev/null wrote:whats it spew if you run said compile from the terminal? Thats likely to be far more useful than a standard set of compile commands. Although, why does your compiler give no output? Is that just a mac thing?

Hello! Thank you for responding, I should of done that in the first place but I was not at home.
Did not want to spam the forums with my compiling stuff so if you would like to view it you can view it here ( http://pastebin.com/7SxzvZFM ).

MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Seeing this line seems to prove that I finally have to do the long dreaded decision.. "updating" to Yosemite which is 10.10 and I am on 10.9, this is probably the reason. "Updating" after I back up my stuff and do a complete reinstall.
/dev/null wrote:Although, why does your compiler give no output?
By this do you mean like no debugging output? If you do, it does but I was not getting any error with the source code.

Thank you for the response /dev/null!

Have a good day.
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

I compiled a version myself today, with updated os-x-toolkit (which doesn't work when trying installed from command line, it says protobuf is missing, so I used version from here: http://generalconsumption.org/armagetro ... x-toolkit/)

With that version the whole build gives no errors and an app gets created. But the app crashes when entering a server. System gave an error report and say this is the crashed thread:

Crashed Thread: 1 Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager

Full report: http://pastebin.com/FN0Xgbd7
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Hmm, seems I dont know enough about the osx build enviroment to help you. I did notice its building for 32bit though, which could possibly be the issue? I have no idea for sure though. Im sure someone will come along and point out whatever we are missing though.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

*16 wrote:Crashed Thread: 1 Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
Are you compiling with Xcode or through the terminal?

Having the issue of finding the time to back up my computer, will have to do it this weekend to see how compiling on Yosemite goes for me.

The first time I used Yosemite was in its 4th beta, everything was really bad considering compatibility and coding wise, hopefully they have fixed all those issues.

/dev/null wrote:Hmm, seems I dont know enough about the osx build enviroment to help you. I did notice its building for 32bit though, which could possibly be the issue? I have no idea for sure though. Im sure someone will come along and point out whatever we are missing though.
Hmm, I wouldn't think that would be the problem considering it has never caused an issue before. The only thing different is that I do not have the latest Mac OS X version which seems to be needed considering Xcode has already taking the liberty of doing what it wants and updating its self. Hopefully after I update and reinstall all the auto tools, make, etc.. after a clean install It will work fine.
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

I'm compiling via terminal on Yosemite. I compiled succesfully on 10.9 before.

I've tried using the 10.9 and 10.10 sdk, both don't work.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

A bit offtopic, but OSX is definately not BSD, it would take me seconds to fix it on bsd. The entire buld enviroment is weird, and throws me right the **** off.

This may be way offbase, but have you tried using gcc?
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

/dev/null wrote: This may be way offbase, but have you tried using gcc?
I have not but I have looked into it quite a bit.
I did just realize my problem and I am mad that I had to update to this s**t Mac OS X version to figure it out...

In my MakeFile I had the SDK setting set to

SDK ?= /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk
When I should have clearly been using 10.10's SDK..

As long as it took to clean install for Yosemite I am still considering going back to Mavericks (older OS).. This OS version is complete s**t.

Thank you for your support, and comments.

EDIT Ended up getting this error when compiling the MakeFile

fatal error: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/lipo: can't open input file: /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit/libraries/x86_64/lib/libprotobuf.a (No such file or directory) 
Even after reverting back to mavericks I continued to get the error above, hopefully trying older versions of os-x-toolkit will work.

EDIT Will running older versions I got this which looked like an error but I can successfully compile Armagetron Advanced again.. Thanks guys! If you can not find a version of the os-x-toolkit that works for you 16 I could upload the one I have.

========== Running lipo -info /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit-r27/libraries/i386/lib/libprotobuf.a
input file /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit-r27/libraries/i386/lib/libprotobuf.a is not a fat file
Non-fat file: /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit-r27/libraries/i386/lib/libprotobuf.a is architecture: i386

========== Running lipo -info /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit-r27/libraries/x86_64/lib/libprotobuf.a
input file /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit-r27/libraries/x86_64/lib/libprotobuf.a is not a fat file
Non-fat file: /Users/LittleSteps/os-x-toolkit-r27/libraries/x86_64/lib/libprotobuf.a is architecture: x86_64
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

I also used that os-x-toolkit-r27 (after I figured protobuf was missing in the most recent version), but that way the app crashes when entering a server.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

*16 wrote:Full report: http://pastebin.com/FN0Xgbd7
Nope, can't make much sense of it, the information is too coarse. The function it points to, gCycle::Timestep, is too large and called so often that an I would not know where to begin to look.
I did find one formality that should not be a problem, though, and committed a fix.
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

I've got a compiled version from someone else on 10.9, so it's something in the building in 10.10 osx that causes the error. I'm gonna look at it later this week.

Thx anyway Z-man!
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

*16 wrote:I've got a compiled version from someone else on 10.9, so it's something in the building in 10.10 osx that causes the error. I'm gonna look at it later this week.

Thx anyway Z-man!
Hey it's me again, If you would like me to implement the autocomplete color feature or want me to compile your builds since it seems to work on my computer, I could. Good to see you on the grid today.

Although while adding features in the gCycle.cpp such as cycle_exact_rubber which outputs the proper unrounded rubber it seems to successfully compile but continue to give me the same error (opens up and closes) when even making this slight edit. Even while porting my old creations to the latest version of 0.4 I get this dumb issue but it seems to only occur in the gCycle.cpp which I find odd. Been fiddling with it all day, might come back to it later.
Scratch that its not just the gCycle.cpp, I am just having a hard time porting my build.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

Sorry to bump this topic again, but I felt my problem fitted in this thread and didn't require the making a new one.
What could be the problem causing an instant crash when Armagetron Advanced opens? This would be easy to fix if there was a problem found in the code, but there wasn't, so I don't know where the source of the problem is. Any insight would be again greatly appreciated.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

It seems trickier than at first.
Could you run some various single option tests in a vm for us?
Just change a single thing at a time that could be it. If it fails, use the same image to try again.

I wish I knew how to make osx not suck, but my first idea is install portage, which works on osx.