Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growing

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Malachi
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growi

Post by Malachi »

Ye I was thinking that maybe 0.4 could be better advertised so that more people knew about it.
Usually when I search up this game it gives me a link to 0.2 which I was told was the most stable version at this time. Perhaps replacing 0.2 with 0.4 as the standard version would be good once 0.4 has been updated properly.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

And replace the crappy start-up music?
Actually, all the sound files, I feel like I'm in a beehive on that version.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

ConVicT wrote:And replace the crappy start-up music?
Actually, all the sound files, I feel like I'm in a beehive on that version.
I don't mind the start up music, although there is a music option in it but I've never figured out how to actually get that to work with my own music, the noise the game makes when you turn is torture though and I have tron muted for it
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

if the game has a cheap campaing on google adwords, many people will come everyday
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Er, no one should be encouraging new players to be using an experimental, test, alpha, beta, RC...anything other than the official stable.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

well, maybe not actively encourage, but at least put it there for everyone to access in an easier way.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

We're not ready to advertise 0.4.

That's pretty much the end of that conversation.

I understand why you'd want to, it's soooooo much better than 0.2.8 (yet we get people bitching about it all the time).

But it's just not stable enough to advertise. I've played "stable" versions of games that weren't stable at all, and I've cursed at my computer for stuff that shouldn't have crashed.

We don't want to put our own new players through that. We love them, even if we never see them, so we won't do that to them.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word

Post by Word »

OK, thanks for the explanation.
Malachi
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Malachi »

Malachi wrote: Perhaps replacing 0.2 with 0.4 as the standard version would be good once 0.4 has been updated properly.
I never said we should attempt to advertise 0.4 now, but hopefully in the near future when it is stabilized.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:We're not ready to advertise 0.4.

I understand why you'd want to, it's soooooo much better than 0.2.8 (yet we get people bitching about it all the time).

But it's just not stable enough to advertise. I've played "stable" versions of games that weren't stable at all, and I've cursed at my computer for stuff that shouldn't have crashed.

We don't want to put our own new players through that. We love them, even if we never see them, so we won't do that to them.
You can provide development (beta, RC, etc.) versions where people would have a decent understanding that they're not getting the stable copy of the game. I've used 0.4 for a long time now, and it really is pretty stable. There hasn't been crashing issues any time recently. That seems resolved as of a couple years ago. I don't see why it's such a bad idea ...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:You can provide development (beta, RC, etc.) versions where people would have a decent understanding that they're not getting the stable copy of the game. I've used 0.4 for a long time now, and it really is pretty stable. There hasn't been crashing issues any time recently. That seems resolved as of a couple years ago. I don't see why it's such a bad idea ...
We already provide that. The suggestion was to promote 0.4 as the Next Biggest Thing Before It's Actually Released.

So, based on what you wrote, if that were my only criteria for deciding, I'd decide nothing changes, because we already do what you wrote.

Giving an unstable version a more prominent view is usually a Bad Idea. The specific games where I've experienced this phenomenon are Freeciv and Scorch3d. Both released development versions as stable versions, and as a player playing stable versions, I suffered.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word

Post by Word »

The suggestion was to promote 0.4 as the Next Biggest Thing Before It's Actually Released.
Well, I think that was what Malachi made out of it on this page and my original proposal on the previous one sounded more extreme thanks to that (or am I wrong and that was directed at both of us?). All I was saying is it should be easier to access via the main site (instead of having to search through sourceforge or the forums), one can still add warnings along the lines of "experimental version, use at your own risk" etc.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:
Light wrote:You can provide development (beta, RC, etc.) versions where people would have a decent understanding that they're not getting the stable copy of the game. I've used 0.4 for a long time now, and it really is pretty stable. There hasn't been crashing issues any time recently. That seems resolved as of a couple years ago. I don't see why it's such a bad idea ...
We already provide that. The suggestion was to promote 0.4 as the Next Biggest Thing Before It's Actually Released.

So, based on what you wrote, if that were my only criteria for deciding, I'd decide nothing changes, because we already do what you wrote.

Giving an unstable version a more prominent view is usually a Bad Idea. The specific games where I've experienced this phenomenon are Freeciv and Scorch3d. Both released development versions as stable versions, and as a player playing stable versions, I suffered.
I was thinking it should be available here, kind of like the 0.2.8 version is. I know it's technically linked to, but so many players were never able to find it. On the other hand, maybe the downloads page is just never really noticed if the source of the download ends up being somewhere else. I guess the issue could be a few different things.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Frankly, its rubber is broken.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I agree with what Light's saying; while not actually advertising 0.4 properly, just mentioning on the downloads page (expermental/beta builds section) what 0.4 is and what stage it's currently in. Warnings are already there about usage but additional warnings could be added if you feel it's necessary. Surely we want some people to test 0.4 in order to discuss features and to find bugs, don't we?
Playing since December 2006