Servers crashing for users

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Magi
Match Winner

Servers crashing for users

Post by Magi »

So I know it's been mentioned a few times for CTF servers that people using the 4.0 client screen's would go black and they would have to reconnect. For a while I think a lot of people thought it had to do with the amount of respawns in a round, I think I've figured out what triggers it though. Once or twice I've made a macro to mess around and I'll end up disconnecting from the server, so I'm thinking that too many turns in one round will crash your connection with the server. Which would explain ctf with all the long rounds, respawns and multibinding. Occasionally people disconnect in fort too, and I'm guessing it happens after really long rounds, I've never actually paid attention enough to notice it but it's my best guess for why a bunch of us get disconnected. Not sure if this helps any of the developers figure out why it's happening or how to fix it, just something I've noticed.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
vov
Match Winner

Re: Servers crashing for users

Post by vov »

me from an earlier thread (ctf-specific) wrote:At the start of the round, the camera gets placed into a rather small square arena, no cycles or zones. Chat and console output is visible, the scoreboard does not get updated when players join though (not sure if scores are, but entering players are definitely not updated, leaving players are though).
This happens as player and as spectator.
It only happens to v0.4 clients as far as I can tell. For instance I'm using v0.4 on Windows.
The log output we get on the server (at least on mine; quite recent sty+ct) is:

Code: Select all

[0] User 2 does not know about netobject 14289 ( gCycle nr. 14289 owned by ePla$
[0] User 2 does not know about netobject 14288 ( gCycle nr. 14288 owned by ePla$
[0] User 2 does not know about netobject 14287 ( gCycle nr. 14287 owned by ePla$
[0] User 1 does not know about netobject 14289 ( gCycle nr. 14289 owned by ePla$
[0] User 1 does not know about netobject 14288 ( gCycle nr. 14288 owned by ePla$
[0] User 1 does not know about netobject 14287 ( gCycle nr. 14287 owned by ePla$
[0] User 1 does not know about netobject 14286 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 14286 ).
[0] User 1 does not know about netobject 14285 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 14285 ).
[0] User 1 does not know about netobject 14284 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 14284 ).
I have noticed it happens on servers that do a lot of respawns (CTF, as well as deathmatch servers with instant respawns). I've had a quick look at sty+ct code, and the respawn code does include a "new gCycle()" which does likely mean new netobjects. Maybe 0.4 can't handle many new ones?
Don't know if there is an exact way to reproduce it; but the deathmatch-instant-respawn servers do this almost every round. (Durf's "Hunt the Wabbit", my "Bounty Hunt").

Maybe it's something with those respawned cycles dying / being created at the end of rounds? (speculation, not yet tested)
Shall I try building my server in debug mode or something? I would need a quick tutorial on that then. It runs on debian and if command line (ssh) access is enough for it then that would be preferred.
Last edited by vov on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I've seen it happen to people in 2.8 as well vov, it's not as common but it does happen every now and then, same bug happens to me in fort sometimes, so that's why I was saying I'm not sure if it actually is respawns or not, since it happens in HR which doesn't have respawns either, same black screen.

bye
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Oh yeah, it's quite rare there though.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

I use 0.4 all the time and have never seen the bug you've suggested.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

All that speculation has its use, but what we would really need is a recording from a 0.4 client where this happens. I'm trying to produce one, but so far, no luck.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Will do one once I see one of those servers populated.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I tried making a recording with .4 and it successfully crashed but I can't find where the file went o.o

bye
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Magi wrote:I tried making a recording with .4 and it successfully crashed but I can't find where the file went o.o
It disappeared with another magician :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Magi wrote:I tried making a recording with .4 and it successfully crashed but I can't find where the file went o.o
How did you make the recording? If via the Windows start menu entry, it should be on your Desktop.
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

It's here Magi: http://www.trontimes.tk/repository/

It's called CtfCrash.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, that might do it. I don't get a completely black screen, but all the cycles are missing. The client debug output says they are never created. And the server log from earlier said the clients did not know about the cycles. What I need to find out now from the recording is whether the cycle creation messages are sent by the server or not. If they are sent, I should be able to find out why they are ignored.