Nelg's Speedy Racing

Topics and posts about all other servers...
Post Reply
User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

I know theres probably enough racing servers already, but I've decided to put up my own

It was first named Extreme World Racing, but then I decided to rename it to Nelg's Speedy Racing. It has 29 maps installed currently in the main rotation, and 3 extra maps to queue (you can see that with /mr in the server)

>Known bugs:
  • Queue adding is very picky... For example, the map OctaGone2Death must be queued by the full name, and all the capital letters must be there. So it must be typed EXACTLY like this: /mq add OctaGone2Death I was just too lazy to make the search tool.
  • If you beat your time but don't raise any ranks, newlines are created either above or below your time in the file. I do not know what causes this... I blame php's sort function.
>Possible concerns:
  • Queuing has absolutely no limit, you can add the same map as many times as you want. Also, users have no limit.
>Coming soon:
  • Maps with lap racing

Please note: I wont be using the +ap system as I like the customizibility of using a php script. I am, however, using the +ap server version.

If you have any problems, comments, questions, or concerns, please tell me.

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by ConVicT »

Can't you just change the map's name and version?

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:Can't you just change the map's name and version?
What do you mean?

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by ConVicT »

I meant about having to type the map exactly what it's called
Just as simple as it sounds really.
Change the map's name, open the map in notepad (or whatever) and change its name and version.

If that still doesn't make any sense then maybe it's me making no sense lol.

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

The reason you have to type the full name of the map is because queuing doesn't search for a similar name, but instead only checks to see if that exact name exists or not. Nothing to do with changing the name or version, but instead the coding in the script.

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by ConVicT »

aP|Nelg wrote:The reason you have to type the full name of the map is because queuing doesn't search for a similar name.
That was my point, if you changed the name then it would be searching for another name and not that name. No?

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:The reason you have to type the full name of the map is because queuing doesn't search for a similar name.
That was my point, if you changed the name then it would be searching for another name and not that name. No?
Yes, if you change the name of the map file it would instead check for that in the array.

Durf
Match Winner
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by Durf »

I think the confusion is that the old way / built into +ap:
when you queue a map, it searches for what you typed matching against all the maps available.
This means that if you search for "square" it will match "square", "squareWatermelon", "ticTacToeSquare", and "SpongeBobSquarePants".
That is a problem typically solved by adding in the hyphen (and/or slashes and versions) to your search; like "/square-" will only match one of the above squares ("polygon/regular/square-1.0.1.aamap.xml").

What nelg is doing is avoiding all that by making the script not check for matches in every map name, but rather check if the exact map name (picked out of any slashes or hyphens) is an exact match (this setup assumes unique map names - all servers should have this anyway so of course).
This means that when you search for "square", it will only look for "square" and ignore anything other than "square"; nothing else gets matched since it's looking for an exact name, no more, no less.

Anyway:
Some of the maps you're using from me (assuming you're already using them) need to be replaced / remade. Things are still a little wonky, but I can work out the kinks so we get some really fun maps on there.
Afraid I haven't really tried it yet though. I'm sure I'll have a few suggestions, or at the very least, better versions of my maps.
I'll have to start racing more.

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

Durf wrote:I think the confusion is that the old way / built into +ap:
when you queue a map, it searches for what you typed matching against all the maps available.
This means that if you search for "square" it will match "square", "squareWatermelon", "ticTacToeSquare", and "SpongeBobSquarePants".
That is a problem typically solved by adding in the hyphen (and/or slashes and versions) to your search; like "/square-" will only match one of the above squares ("polygon/regular/square-1.0.1.aamap.xml").

What nelg is doing is avoiding all that by making the script not check for matches in every map name, but rather check if the exact map name (picked out of any slashes or hyphens) is an exact match (this setup assumes unique map names - all servers should have this anyway so of course).
This means that when you search for "square", it will only look for "square" and ignore anything other than "square"; nothing else gets matched since it's looking for an exact name, no more, no less.

Anyway:
Some of the maps you're using from me (assuming you're already using them) need to be replaced / remade. Things are still a little wonky, but I can work out the kinks so we get some really fun maps on there.
Afraid I haven't really tried it yet though. I'm sure I'll have a few suggestions, or at the very least, better versions of my maps.
I'll have to start racing more.
Don't worry, I haven't put your maps on their yet. Not sure exactly how the script would deal with those. Hand it all over to the +ap racing system or code a lap racing of my own that probably has less bugs anyways?

Durf
Match Winner
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by Durf »

Nice, you should code in your own. (suggestion really, if you have the spare time to do it)
I didn't like how safe_angles was restricted to win zones only.
In fact, let's create a bunch of new zone types and put them in some kind of framework..? (random idea)
Anyway, hope it all works out for you.

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

Is it a concern that it will be in php? :P

User avatar
vov
Match Winner
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by vov »

aP|Nelg wrote:
ConVicT wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:The reason you have to type the full name of the map is because queuing doesn't search for a similar name.
That was my point, if you changed the name then it would be searching for another name and not that name. No?
Yes, if you change the name of the map file it would instead check for that in the array.
If you feel you need my permission to change its name, go for it. You can do whatever the heck you want with my maps! :-)
If it's a script and not built into the game you can do some regex magic (preg_match in php?) and end up warning the user if he types in something ambiguous. There are online tools where you can check if you messed up the regex (happens to me all the time :P).

Also while the idea's coming up: have you taken a look at v0.4's zonesv2 already?

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by aP|Nelg »

vov wrote:If you feel you need my permission to change its name, go for it. You can do whatever the heck you want with my maps!
So much miscommunication... I dont plan on changing your maps names though
vov wrote:Also while the idea's coming up: have you taken a look at v0.4's zonesv2 already?
I would like to maintain compatibility with 0.2, as it is the latest stable release. Otherwise, I would love to use zonesv2. However, I'd have to merge over to an 0.4 server too, so meh, I'll think I'll wait untill 0.4 becomes stable and theres at least a sty+ct version of it. Also we'd have to give people time to merge over to 0.4 instead of using 0.2 as less and less servers would support 0.2 I'm sure.

Durf
Match Winner
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Re: Nelg's Speedy Racing

Post by Durf »

aP|Nelg wrote:Is it a concern that it will be in php? :P
Not at all; it enables us by giving us more freedom (particularly when making laps racing).
The only bad thing about it are the parts that are dependent on the server / depending on ladderlog events

I don't anticipate there will be too many problems.

Post Reply